Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 07-14-2010, 01:14 AM
Fire Giant

Default Login nightmare

It's been a month i'm having problems with login. I'm getting mad.
Sometimes i log in fine, play few hours, and the next day, it's just impossible to access the server select screen. Later on (3 days after) i log on fine and fast.

I've checked everything, from eqhost file to firewall settings, router etc...

I live in New Caledonia, close to Australia, has the distance something to do with it?

Well, i'm a little lost there. If any of you experiencing same problems, please post, and if someone got an idea about it... please say!
Old 07-14-2010, 01:58 AM
Fire Giant

could it be your modem, connection? I had cable guy come out, and remove some adapter.. told me...

"This lowers the signal, but a weeks ago we had someone in the area adjusting things lower, so now yours is too low."

As soon as he did that, money.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:14 AM
Fire Giant

Looks like a Roman Noir. What a clue. What does it mean in technical words? Reset my router? Call a "Cable Guy" to fix it? And who lowers down my connection?

I share my connection with a mysterious WoW player, he live downstairs, i have the router. He looks alright, i have told him my issues, and he said must be p99 server messing around due to the "symptoms" described above. But, i don't know him that much you know, i rent the appartment of a friend who owns the connection (router), and this guy (the neighbour downstairs) share the bill. But i know he works in PC maintenance and i surely think he's a geek. Would he be able to tweak the connection up on his side? And if so, how could i solve this problem?

And last question, because he plays WoW, can his login onto that game block my login onto EQ?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Skeleton

If you can't hit the server select screen on those days, are you able to access the website http://eqemulator.net?

There is not something physically wrong with the connection or modem. If this is not down your alley.. I would start off by pinging eqemulator.net when you have the problem.. That is the login server. If that resolves. Try pinging the p1999 server IP in the eqhosts file. If that works, you are actually reaching the server via ping. At that point, it's a port/router issue.

The grand test would be trying a new router or hooking your computer directly up to the internet. Sounds like hooking it up directly to the net is not an option, so I would be looking at the router. EQ uses a LOT of ports. But if you can't get to the login server, that's a pretty simple request.

Him playing WoW should have absolutely zero effect on your EQ.

Meant to say.. If this is NOT down your alley.. Find the geek. Tell him the server works fine, always. Give him a case of beer. Do your troubleshooting on a day where it's not working at all.

Me? I would troubleshoot it. Turn off software firewall programs, remove them completely from your computer if necessary.. Uninstall antivirus if necessary. Burn the computer down to barebones until EQ starts working... then work your way back up. Nothing on the PC working? Buy them a new router that's better than the current one.. Have the geek implement it.
Last edited by gothmonk; 07-14-2010 at 08:49 AM..
Old 07-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Fire Giant

Well, the geek just gone to work, i log on fine, makes me wonder...

I can access eqemulator.net when i can't hit the server select screen, for sure.

I will try many things to solve the problem. Thanks for ideas!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I live in New Caledonia, close to Australia, has the distance something to do with it?
I live in Japan, and know that there is quite a few Australian players on the server, so I doubt it has anything to do with the distance.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Kobold

Read post #5 - http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11286

My own guesses - your roomate is using a majority of the connection (ie. bittorent, etc).
Try speedtest.net, though I don't know if they have any testing sites in Australia. Definitely try the port forwarding mentioned in the link above. Ultimately, if you aren't controlling the internet connection and/or have other people using it, it's going to be difficult to troubleshoot connection problems. Running a speedtest and even just pinging some generic sites should give you a heads up if someone is really using a lot of the bandwidth.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryhole [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Read post #5 - http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11286

My own guesses - your roomate is using a majority of the connection (ie. bittorent, etc).
Try speedtest.net, though I don't know if they have any testing sites in Australia. Definitely try the port forwarding mentioned in the link above. Ultimately, if you aren't controlling the internet connection and/or have other people using it, it's going to be difficult to troubleshoot connection problems. Running a speedtest and even just pinging some generic sites should give you a heads up if someone is really using a lot of the bandwidth.
Yeah, if he's got torrent going, it can really choke out your bandwidth. Even WoW suffers greatly with Torrent.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah...are you talking black screen where servers should be? Because if you are, it's definitely a latency issue. Not exactly ping, but the actual speed of your connection.

I went through a couple months of frustration...attempting to log in sometimes like 100+ times at a pop, while other times I got an instant server select.

My problem was my line...they're sending someone out today to fix it, as a matter of fact.

This issue can't be isolated to any single thing, because there are so many things that affect your connection.

The buddy playing WoW while you try to log in may be screwing your latency just enough to preclude you from doing it. It's not going to be anything he's doing intentionally.

Anything that can mess up your speed/bandwidth can cause this issue. Line, router, modem, et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:15 AM
Fire Giant

A friend recently told me that it must come from my provider not priorizing port 5998, and in peak times (evening, week ends etc) the info sent to the p99 server is blocked by too many "priority" requests. An email to provider has been sent. Wait and see!