Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Kobold

Default David Deere - Faded Light

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gqplij

Genre - Progressive Melodic Trace (Submitting this demo for a radio show)

Would love the feedback - 77 mins long approx - 12 tracks

www.myspace.com/djdaviddeere
Old 07-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Kobold

Not bad man, I'm enjoying it. Some of my friends are really into this type of music, I'll spread the word.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Kobold

Definitely not my kind of musical taste. But I recognize talent and give credit where it is due. With that in mind, I say good work man keep it up!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Sarnak

Hate to sound like I'm trolling here, but as a fan of Progressive music in general I have to ask what is progressive about this? I listened to the whole thing through a few times here and I'm hearing simple rhythms, melodies, and harmonic ideas with little in the form of contrary motion, modulation, tension, new song structures, etc. The general odd variety and dynamics which are hallmarks of progressive music just seem to be missing.

That being said, the songs are not bad at all. It just doesn't sound like anything I haven't heard before, which could be a good thing depending on your goals.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Kobold

Well there is quite some history

http://www.djmag.com/top100 - Top DJ's worldwide

These style tracks are supported by Armin Van Buuren, Tiesto, Markus Schulz, Gareth Emery, and others..

Kind of a underground thing, and the style for that mix was slowed to 131 bpm just for the vibe i was going with it. The genre out of "Techno" is Progressive / Trance / Melodic / Tribal.

You also have Jungle, Drum and Bass, House, etc..which use the kick clap style - aka "Techno" to the public

A few years ago I called out that this type of music would start turning mainstream. You now got Lady Gaga sporting the kick clap, "Kesha - Tic Toc" that hit the charts, and that new top hit "La Roux - Bulletproof" thats all over the radio right now. I personally really like that Bulletproof song..good lyrics..wouldn't mind remixing it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-30-2010, 04:14 AM
Sarnak

I think you guys might be worse about subgenres than us (metal players). I didn't realize that was possible! One of these years I'll get out of the 80's and learn more about electronic music... I think the closest thing I own right now is a cd from Silent Descent who categorize themselves as "trance metal" - check it out if you can deal with horrible vocals, the music is fun.
Closed Thread