Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 11:50 PM
Aviak

Default Making a Ranger.. (I know right?)

Hey all..

So I've been messing around on the server for a few weeks but haven't really committed to any particular character. I always wanted a Ranger on live during the Kunark/Velious era so I figured I should take this opportunity to do that. Just a few general questions about the least played class..

1) Which Race is optimal for a min/max Ranger? (lol..?)

2) What are some cheaper Ranger weapons and gear I should aim for just starting out?

3) Are Rangers able to get more groups in Velious than they do in Kunark?

4) Am I making a huge mistake?
Old 07-08-2014, 01:16 AM
Planar Protector

1) Whatever you prefer to play. Human, elf, or half elves all look good.
2) Silver Swiftblade (16/24 2hs) best weapon to 20. Springwood Staff to Woodsman Staff to Epic.
3) They *should* be able to with the hybrid penalty removed. We as a ranger community will still have to win some hearts post-penalty.
4) You said min/max in your first question, so I'm leaning towards yes it is a mistake. Ranger is absolutely not a min/max class choice. It's a very fun class to play, but the penalty doesn't make us very fun to be around.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:41 AM
Kobold

1) early on it goes half elf for combat stats, human or wood elf for a larger mana pool. Doesn't really matter.

2) just starting out you can probably get a free dragonhorn ykesha or ebony bladed sword till 10 in EC, then the silver swiftblade. Good luck finding a woodsman staff.
Usual 5ac 55hp rings are awesome whenever you have the cash (~500pp the pair), then whatever you can find that has str or hp.

3) finding group is not that bad really. Sure you cannot pop in seb at 51 and get a group like a shaman or cleric would, but you are still dps and still get invites. At least I do on euro times, might be worse in US timezone.

4) it's not a mistake as long you're enjoying it. However, I wouldn't have enjoyed it as a first real character. I love it as a twink and possibly future main.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Aviak

Im thinking of going with a Half Elf because of the better melee stats. I figure that would make things that much easier leveling before the spells. Guess I'll just farm bone chips and try to get rid of them in the EC tunnel until I make enough plat for a decent weapon. The wiki says to put all the starting points into STR as a Half Elf Ranger.. but I noticed most classes dump into Stamina so I am not sure which route to take. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:36 AM
Kobold

Good thread for ranger info:

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...08&postcount=1
Old 07-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Aviak

Awesome. Thank you for posting that. For some reason my searches never got that thread as a result. Now to get that Silver Swiftblade..
Old 07-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

Can get one of these on the cheap too.
http://wiki.project1999.com/Rod_of_Lamentation
Old 07-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Aviak

Ended up getting one of these donated to me.. seems legit for now:

http://wiki.project1999.com/Firerune_Brand
Old 07-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

Enjoy the Ranger, but have a backup plan.

Rangers are best in small doses once you hit level 30+ and the game starts to bog down.

I would recommend having that Druid/Monk/Enchanter/Necro fun alt ready to log in.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Aviak

I've already had people tell me in-game it's not worth playing.. gotta love that.
Closed Thread