Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Welcome new recruit. Good luck to you!
lol falkun.

welcome!

http://www.project1999.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=94928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhambuk View Post
gotrocks community savior
Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
These are probably the things that bug me the most

- Melee cannot bind anywhere
- Equipment stays on corpse instead of respawning with equipment
- Lack of faster out of combat health/mana regen
Man what can I say .. if you dont like that, you dont like EQ at its full glory.

Welcome alovia!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafaone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Man what can I say .. if you dont like that, you dont like EQ at its full glory.
You are correct. EQ is not a perfect game, but it's my favorite by a long shot. Although City of Heroes was quite fun until it shut down.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 PM
Kobold

Intentional classic bugs - These always seemed pointless to add in, these aren't really design flaws in my opinion they are misimplementated designs.

-- (Y,X,Z) coordinates -- There's no feasible way they would have done that on purpose, it had to be an accident. Especially since EQ was one of the first MMOs, the original MUDs they were based off of all had (X,Y,Z) coordinates; I remember I used to play them in elementary school.

-- Silly graphical bugs -- Lich form has no name plate? I don't think there's any GUI or lore (dis)advantage to it. It must have been an oversight. Why do druid wolves have name plates? Why do enchanters in all their illusions (minus skeleton) have name plates?

-- Utter uselessness of vast swaths of spells/skills --
* Begging -- yeah, you already knew that though
* AoE Rain Spells -- each player pet soaks up one rain per round, due to a bug
* Spirals of Al'Kabor -- mana cost is so high, nobody ever uses them
Old 02-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmani [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
-- (Y,X,Z) coordinates -- There's no feasible way they would have done that on purpose, it had to be an accident. Especially since EQ was one of the first MMOs, the original MUDs they were based off of all had (X,Y,Z) coordinates; I remember I used to play them in elementary school.
I always had a theory that it was a mistake, too. I wondered if it was as simple as a mix up constructing the string displayed to the user. Specifically, I thought the data model is correct (X,Y,Z), but they mixed up X and Y values when constructing the "Your location..." string.

Of course, there's a lot of game design I don't know... maybe there are more items akin to "(0,0) is usually the upper left hand corner in graphics" that would render (Y,X,Z) sensical.

The real odd pickle is: I've had a character logged into some form of EQ1 for around 350 days... why can't I get used to (Y,X,Z)? Heh!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaidh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I always had a theory that it was a mistake, too. I wondered if it was as simple as a mix up constructing the string displayed to the user. Specifically, I thought the data model is correct (X,Y,Z), but they mixed up X and Y values when constructing the "Your location..." string.

Of course, there's a lot of game design I don't know... maybe there are more items akin to "(0,0) is usually the upper left hand corner in graphics" that would render (Y,X,Z) sensical.

The real odd pickle is: I've had a character logged into some form of EQ1 for around 350 days... why can't I get used to (Y,X,Z)? Heh!
I know the feeling, I am almost always running the wrong direction.

You are right, in WoW at least
(0,0) is the top left corner of the map
(0,100) is the top right corner
(100,0) is the bottom left
(100,100) is bottom right

Basically in that case it's (X,Y), but the sign seems reversed on both coordinates.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Fire Giant

This thread makes me think of other things floating around the forums the past 48 hours...

There's something that used to drive me nuts in classic, but now I just don't care at all. A poster mentioned this in one of the other "Classic" threads. I used to absolutely hate it when people inspected me without asking.

It's hilarious in hindsight. In those early days of the massively multiplayer online game, a lot of people, myself definitely included, took a lot of pride in our characters. There was a definite sense of "This is me, in that world." Many folks took a much more personal pride in their gaming avatar back then. Inspecting without asking had the same mental effect of a stranger walking up behind you and then flipping your shirt collar to see what kind of shirt you have on without saying a word.

Hehe. I remember when Sony actually implemented the feature to turn off inspect messages. You could opt out of seeing "Soandso is inspecting your equipment." Sony dealt with it because folks could inspect-bomb a given player into link death At the time, however, the theme of player conversations would have you believe the feature had been implemented because, "Geez! It's just so rude!"
Old 02-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahmani [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know the feeling, I am almost always running the wrong direction.

You are right, in WoW at least
(0,0) is the top left corner of the map
(0,100) is the top right corner
(100,0) is the bottom left
(100,100) is bottom right

Basically in that case it's (X,Y), but the sign seems reversed on both coordinates.
Yeah that's a standard in the graphics I've been exposed to: winforms, WPF, that funky UI library on Mac I can't recall the name of, OpenGL...

That's why I think it's less likely that the data model is actually (Y,X,Z) and that it's just that the display of the /location command is borked; but I'm the ultimate on-the-fencer... I often try to leave room for what I haven't considered.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Sarnak

This is kinda off the subject of this thread, but the only things that really bother me are the bugs/broken quests, etc that are left in just to stay 100% true to the classic patch timeline. Many of these were unintended by the developers and there's not much reason to leave them IMO. I would rather see these bug fix patches hit along with the expansion, and stay true to timeline for content additions.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Fire Giant

Try to stop thinking in terms of the XYZ coordinate model, and more in terms of the compass rose... i.e. North-South / East-West. You don't say "East West North South", and you don't say "North East South West"... The elevation isn't that useful anyway... hence it can be ignored, tacked on the end, etc.

I'm annoyed by ditching GUI compasses in the name of classic when the original devs probably would have been thrilled if someone had come up with it back then... but I digress. (classic could be more about what they were shooting for and not necessarily bound by what they were able to deliver - same lines as broken quests)

Has someone come up with a log parser that will interact with a map in a separate window? Using the last 2 or 3 posts from the /loc command to draw a vector? That would be even better - legal and technically still classic. One of you uber-nerds get on that. Chop-chop!
Closed Thread