Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Sarnak

Default Most Effective Class Combations

**Most Effective Class COMBINATIONS** (Typo in title, sorry)

What classes duo the best with each other? I play a Cleric and duo quite often with a Mage, and it works out quite well. We'd been brainstorming together to try and figure out another pair of classes that we could play that'd be just as (or more) successful.

We're looking for a duo that can be completely reliant, and pretty much go anywhere without too difficult of a time.

Mage/Cleric PROS: Both have gate. Mage can invis, make a variety of pets for different situations and summon bags for long hours of farming. Mod rods, waterstones, levitation. Cleric is a cleric, healing/rez/buff etc etc, and invis vs undead. Very little CC with Cleric's root and if the Mage has an Earth pet out.

CONS: No porting or run speed buffs, somewhat slow DPS. No mana manipulation other than mod rods, which can be difficult to deal with considering they drain health too. If mobs see invis, corpse runs can be difficult or impossible.

Necro/Wizard PROS: Both have gate. Necro can heal/mana dump and snare, also pet can tank. Wizard helps mobility with porting and is great DPS.

CONS: No run speed buffs, wizard is very squishy, and without big heals (shaman, druid or cleric heals) may die very quickly if the necro/pet can't get aggro off.

Bard/????? I've heard Bard/Bard works, but I've never seen it.

What have you all had experience duoing with? Do Druids do well with anything?

Does any class work with a Ranger?
Old 04-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

Shaman/Monk /thread
Old 04-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Fire Giant

Shaman / Monk is a great combo. Heals, pulling, DPS, debuffing, buffing. Everything is there but Porting. But how often do you really need to port?

Mage / Mage is a good combo for obvious reasons. Pets are very powerful, so having two of them makes them even more powerful. It will also allow splitting of camps of up to 4 pretty easily.

Enchanter / Mage (Or anything with an enchanter) makes a great combo for the pulling, downtime mana regeneration, and the awesome buffs.

Typically Warriors and Clerics are both pigeon-holed in their responsibilities that they don't make a great duo-partner.

Rangers would be great if their abilities didn't overlap those of their most logical partners. Heals and buffs won't matter with a Shaman, and all of their spells bring nothing when a Druid is paired up. Maybe Ranger / Cleric, but that leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

Necro/Shaman

Fear kiting always rules, root rotting can work (necro uses lifetap/fire/darkness, shaman uses poison/disease to prevent overlap). Once 34+ both have pets for kiting/tanking with. Shaman gives you SoW + buffs (Str buff will raise a necro pets DPS by missing less and hitting toward the upper end of their dmg cap more often). Necro gets self invis & can undead invis the shaman, shaman can invis themselves, both have gate. Both are capable of increasing their mana regen and benefit from regeneration/chloro.

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Old 04-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Sarnak

Necro/Shaman.. Hmm.. I like that!

Any ideas for Bard match-ups?
Old 04-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Fire Giant

Necro / Monk.

Necro heals monks, taps, Two of the best dps classes combined with the added perk both can feign flop at a moments notice and laugh at whatever danger runs by.

Other pros:

-Undead Lull
-Necro Res
-Monk pulling
-Crowd Control via ST / Root.
-Caster interrupt w/ ST on Healing mobs.
-Levitate (DMF)
-Neither class needs much in the way of gear that can't be easily obtained, unless you wanna whine about dragon haste and Tstaffs and Hand of Reaper (lol)
-This duo just as effective indoor as outdoor.
-If you are completely talentless and afraid, you can even fear/kite
-Both can be iksars, if you are just starting out now. Yeah, monk/shaman both with innate regen. EZ mode just got easier.

If you get a third buddy, make him the shaman. Then laugh at his mana regen issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Most of the people with bad experiences with me hang out in R&F, shocking, looks like I'm doing something right.
Last edited by Bubbles; 04-18-2011 at 06:11 PM..
Old 04-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalzy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necro/Shaman

Fear kiting always rules, root rotting can work (necro uses lifetap/fire/darkness, shaman uses poison/disease to prevent overlap). Once 34+ both have pets for kiting/tanking with. Shaman gives you SoW + buffs (Str buff will raise a necro pets DPS by missing less and hitting toward the upper end of their dmg cap more often). Necro gets self invis & can undead invis the shaman, shaman can invis themselves, both have gate. Both are capable of increasing their mana regen and benefit from regeneration/chloro.
Biggest problem with this combo is the only real 'fast acting' necro dot is VotS / Ebolt, which is shares with the shaman class. The only reason people respoind to shaman /tells is for their ability to Haste, buff, and slow things, 3 things in which a necro has 0 use for--since necros don't tank or pet tank much, haste their own pets, and get MR built into their shielding line which Altuna overwrites. Having regen is nice, but a necro actually preferes it's Vexing/Bond line of DoTs since it's practically 100% unresistable.

SHM/Necro would be built for outdoor soloing, and if all you want to do is donk around skyfire, at least a druid would be able to track, snare (the biggest needless drain of a necro's mana), port, and still be able to regein and throw magic dots (they stack with ours, if we're even bothering to cast splurt in a duo..)..

Now pretend you wanna move indoors and get loot. Whats shammy adding to necro? Necros CC better, roots last longer, our 49/56 pets tank better, we *heal* better, nuke better, Dot better, split camps better, deal with caster mobs / aggro better, and have better escape mechanisms for bad situations.

I'm not saying shaman suck, they're a great class. They just don't offer as much to necros as you might think, especially in the form of a duo. Now if you add a monk in to the 3rd slot, the Shaman is going to dramatically effect the ability of that monk to deal damage + tank. And if you remove the necro, the shaman/monki combo can almost rival the necro/monk.

Easiest solution? Just get a 3rd buddy and cover all 3 bases: necor/monk/shaman. Add in a cleric if you wanna get wtf deep in places like seb and chardok.

Quote:
Most of the people with bad experiences with me hang out in R&F, shocking, looks like I'm doing something right.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:17 PM
VIP / Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Wenai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Biggest problem with this combo is the only real 'fast acting' necro dot is VotS / Ebolt, which is shares with the shaman class. The only reason people respoind to shaman /tells is for their ability to Haste, buff, and slow things, 3 things in which a necro has 0 use for--since necros don't tank or pet tank much, haste their own pets, and get MR built into their shielding line which Altuna overwrites. Having regen is nice, but a necro actually preferes it's Vexing/Bond line of DoTs since it's practically 100% unresistable.

SHM/Necro would be built for outdoor soloing, and if all you want to do is donk around skyfire, at least a druid would be able to track, snare (the biggest needless drain of a necro's mana), port, and still be able to regein and throw magic dots (they stack with ours, if we're even bothering to cast splurt in a duo..)..

Now pretend you wanna move indoors and get loot. Whats shammy adding to necro? Necros CC better, roots last longer, our 49/56 pets tank better, we *heal* better, nuke better, Dot better, split camps better, deal with caster mobs / aggro better, and have better escape mechanisms for bad situations.

I'm not saying shaman suck, they're a great class. They just don't offer as much to necros as you might think, especially in the form of a duo. Now if you add a monk in to the 3rd slot, the Shaman is going to dramatically effect the ability of that monk to deal damage + tank. And if you remove the necro, the shaman/monki combo can almost rival the necro/monk.

Easiest solution? Just get a 3rd buddy and cover all 3 bases: necor/monk/shaman. Add in a cleric if you wanna get wtf deep in places like seb and chardok.
You are forgetting Shaman pets.

Shaman pet's mana-free DPS >> Any dot DPS a druid is going to be using.

Really the only benefit I see to a druid over a shaman in that duo is the snare and track. If you are going to be dungeon crawling, you are sure as hell going to want shaman slows over anything a druid can offer. Combine that with the fact that SHM and NEC have the best mana regen in the game. I would definitely prefer a SHM over a DRU if I was a NEC. Druid is going to do nothing but slow down a NEC. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenai [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are forgetting Shaman pets.

Shaman pet's mana-free DPS >> Any dot DPS a druid is going to be using.

Really the only benefit I see to a druid over a shaman in that duo is the snare and track. If you are going to be dungeon crawling, you are sure as hell going to want shaman slows over anything a druid can offer. Combine that with the fact that SHM and NEC have the best mana regen in the game. I would definitely prefer a SHM over a DRU if I was a NEC. Druid is going to do nothing but slow down a NEC. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What i was hinting at is that outdoors a druid and shammy are pretty on par in terms of necro duoing, and indoors a necro would do worlds better with a monk than a shaman. All the utility in the world can't match the fact that a monk/nec combo can simply feign and laugh at the trains that go rolling by in Chardok/CoM/Seb/Karnors/etc.

In fact, the main reason a necro duos with anyone outdoors is to have someone else pull for them, and to snare mobs and not waste necro mana on dooming, which is why i'd rate a druid or wizard higher than a shaman (track/port/regen/SLN for druid, port/flux staff for the wizard). Added bonus : both wiz + druid can invis (without killing a pet) while looking for pulls. If you're actually insane enough to be using skyfire as your solo spot (and please, god don't), wizards generally rate even higher, since a druid is far less likely to have jboots and will get positively raped by chromodrac adds.

We're talking min-maxing bs here. I've obviously duo'd with shaman many, many times and it's worked out quite fine.

Quote:
Old 04-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Planar Protector

In Velious I feel like you might find the Shaman + Necro combo to be super amazing (WW dragon duo'ing anybody?).

Baalzy - 57 Gnocro, Baalz - 36 Ikscro, Adra - 51 Hileric, Fatbag Ofcrap - 25 halfuid

Red99
Baalz Less - Humger, Baalzy - Ikscro

If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let there be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.
Picture courtesy of azeth
Closed Thread