Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Fire Giant

Ahhh I see. The word loss was confusing to me. I am most definitely aware of aggro adjustments based on distance as mentioned above (roots as well.. we all know about proximity root tanking). Cool - thanks for doing all the thinking for me =).
Old 03-01-2011, 04:53 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goryani [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The NPC distance aggro loss changes that occurred the same time as the pet aggro changes were apparent to me. Stand far enough away from a mob. Tell your pet to attack, and the mob would not come after you. Stand close enough and the mob would make a beeline for you. The same effect happened at a greater distance while sitting.

EQ did have distance aggro loss. Performing an action (like sitting, nuking, or debuffing) within melee range would put you higher on the hate list than the same action performed much further away (like at max cast distance). Being far from the mob effectively lowered your current amount of threat. Some mobs were more sensitive to this phenomenon than others.

I don't envy the devs in trying to recreate the classic EQ aggro system. Aggro could be modified by distance, sitting/standing state, and probably several other things I'm forgetting. Some modifications seemed to be percentage based, or based on the HP of the mob, or sometimes just a flat amount. Those modifications differed by mob, by zone, and by expansion. It's just a big mess.
While its slightly in reference to that, thats not what the message meant.

It means, if you run away far enough, it will absolve all hate on that person and he'll lose aggro/hate causing the mob to return to his original location.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Sarnak

losing aggro from simply moving a certain distance isn't classic....is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Server runs much smoother without prima donnas prancing around being bitches like this is Walmart's Customer Service Department.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by maegi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its not - at least there hasn't been sufficient evidence to imply otherwise.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaosu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its not - at least there hasn't been sufficient evidence to imply otherwise.
Yeah, i remember running clear across zones, with sow/etc. getting way ahead of shit, and still being chased by shit the whole way.. this definitely would not be classic, or from eq at all through at least velious if not luclin too, honestly i don't remember this ever, but i kinda fizzled out in luclin.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by maegi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is a post about this in the bug forums where it could be discussed better, but it is in fact classic. The finer details, however, don't seem to be easily available.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Aviak

Send a message via AIM to LevinJ

I remember this being a new feature that started with the release of Kunark. My first trip through the Dreadlands is where I first encountered this phenomenon, and this was a big part of why Karnors was plagued with trains. You would outrun your pull, it would return to it's spot but retain aggro on you and spread said aggro, you went back to retrieve pull and brought the zone. [Note: The other Karnors-train causing issue was feigning - feigning didn't fully clear aggro so if you didn't zone to clear aggro after feigning off a pull then the same effect occcurred.]

But mobs definitely did NOT stop chasing you based on distance until Kunark opened.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevinJ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But mobs definitely did NOT stop chasing you based on distance until Kunark opened.
Then explain the Findlegrob's pet phenomenon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I used to abuse this mechanic on live leveling alts.

In rathe mts. you can pull Findlegrob and he'd send his pet after you and start casting. If you ran to the lake rathe zoneline, you'd end up far enough away for Findlegrob to go back to his spawn point and his pet to stick with you at the zoneline (since he was casting and the pet wasn't).

The part I can't explain is even after you killed the pet, Findlegrob would summon another and send it after you. It was an endless pull of findlegrob pets, good exp from 18-22.
Still don't understand why Findlegrob wouldn't come but his pet would.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Large Bat

This seems more like WoW than EQ.

I played kunark-POP. Other than someone tagging a train I never remember losing mobs even ridiculously outrunning them. Quad kiting wyverns in Velious I would snare, sow outrun them get to the others wait and med while I gathered my quad.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, i remember running clear across zones, with sow/etc. getting way ahead of shit, and still being chased by shit the whole way..
500 distance is beyond your field of vision I think. You sure you were a greater distance than that? And did wait at the zoneline to see what followed you?

Also, I think if the KoS mobs are blue con to you then chain social agro might somehow negate this... Anyone know if that's the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevinJ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember this being a new feature that started with the release of Kunark. My first trip through the Dreadlands is where I first encountered this phenomenon, and this was a big part of why Karnors was plagued with trains. You would outrun your pull, it would return to it's spot but retain aggro on you and spread said aggro, you went back to retrieve pull and brought the zone.
The distance required to replicate this requires a very large outdoor zone and a huge speed boost over the mob. Are you sure you aren't remembering some other technique that was used in Karnor's.

EDIT: After looking at the map, http://www.eqmacwiki.com/eqatlas/karnors1map.html
if distance is = to /loc then I guess it might be possible if the mob was extremely snared. Basically the mob would still have to be in the middle of the zone by the time you made it to the DL zoneline.

And final question which I have asked before. What's the best way to judge this distance? how much does 500 distance equate to in terms of /loc? Is it a 1 to 1 ratio?
Last edited by guineapig; 03-02-2011 at 02:33 PM..
Closed Thread