Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned

Default Devs that dont play their own game

I got a little anecdote back from when i worked as a QA for a Montreal game company.

We are working on a FPS game, i test the single player part of it. We wrap it up and we are switched to the multiplayer component of the game. We start playing and at my surprise and fellow testers' for major lols, i can just sit down at the other team's spawnpoint and headshot any player that spawns.

I do this for about 15 minutes and walk over to the guys that were already testing the multiplayer part of it. I say "Hey, so was a bug entered in the DB for that shit?"

And the guy tells me "Yea, they basically told us to stfu about it, we werent devs and we should let the devs dev."

"But.... headshots lol?"

So i enter the bug (everything is called a bug at that place, even if its not technically one) and the devs reply is to flag my bug with "Will not fix".

So whatever. We finish the game, it goes gold. Launch day. A shitstorm hits the forum "WTF HEADSHOTS OMG CAMPING AT SPAWN POINT LALALALAA"

And all the QA guys are laughing their asses off like... toldja.

So we spent the next 5 days working on a patch to fix this loophole with a big grin on our faces and after that devs got a little less uptight about the unwashed masses input into a game they didnt play themselves.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Aviak

Cool story bro
Old 06-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Fire Giant

We had a maintenance guy at my old job that was the same way. Hed tell us how the machine was suppose to run, how it worked, and why something wasnt working...Even tho we knew exactly why and how of everything because...well we ran it every single day and he didnt.

So something wouldnt work right hed tell us it was 'fine' couple days later itd break and all hell would break loose and wed be down for a couple days waiting on a part...Preventative maintenance is always better than actual maintenance!
Old 06-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Aviak

It seems like it would be pretty hard to build/improve/maintain this server as well as play on the server. When you factor in that everyone is a volunteer and they all have jobs and lives it seems even more difficult.

Not to mention the constant bitchfest probably takes some fun out of it.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Large Rat

Sometimes a job is just a job. Just because they create or design a video game doesn't mean they like playing that game, or any games. Maybe they just like being able to buy food, or pay the rent.

I imagine the same thing happens here with this server.

Sounds like you were working with some dicks. If your job is to find stuff like that, and they tell you to fuck off for doing your job, you should just punch them in the back of the head.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamSmasher22 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sometimes a job is just a job. Just because they create or design a video game doesn't mean they like playing that game, or any games. Maybe they just like being able to buy food, or pay the rent.

I imagine the same thing happens here with this server.
Considering we don't make ANY profit, that's not the case here. I started the project from a love of classic eq, and a desire to develop a video game. Each of the other devs are here for the same reason.

In an industrial development scenario, I imagine it would be different. Those people get paid to develop video games. I assume they can like it or not.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Large Rat

As I don't know personally, except for what you just posted, I just made a broad statement about work.

If it was me helping with this server, it would be because it would be fun to program it or run it or whatever. Fun to create for other people, not for myself.

I know no one gets paid here, I wasn't referring to that. The night cleaning crew at a store can take pride in cleaning the shit of the store and having it look nice for everyone to shop in the morning, but that doesn't mean want to go home and clean the shit out of their house as well. Who knows? Maybe they do, I just know -I- wouldn't be like that.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Considering we don't make ANY profit, that's not the case here. I started the project from a love of classic eq, and a desire to develop a video game. Each of the other devs are here for the same reason.

In an industrial development scenario, I imagine it would be different. Those people get paid to develop video games. I assume they can like it or not.
I have a friend that works for a well-known Facebook game company (yes, that company). He's the lead designer for their newest game (yes, that game). This is an awesome gamer who was a pivotal force in designing Pro Tour-winning Magic the Gathering back in the day.

He hates his game. The entire game is about sucking people in and getting them to put $20 on their credit card. That's the entire design philosophy. He told me that he would never play his game and that I shouldn't waste my time, either. He doesn't even think it's worthy of being called a game.

I am increasingly beginning to think that projects like P99 are the future of true gaming--small crews making good games because they love games. I've been to E3 and it was amazing and I used to wish I worked at a gaming company. Not anymore.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Developer

Just because a bug looks easy to fix doesn't mean it is. I had a bug that took two years (!) to fix. It could not be reproduce and only occurred for a very small handful of customers.

Give these guys a break. Some bugs really are hard to fix or require substantial modification that takes time.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawen Everywhere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am increasingly beginning to think that projects like P99 are the future of true gaming--small crews making good games because they love games. I've been to E3 and it was amazing and I used to wish I worked at a gaming company. Not anymore.
Yea some of the best fun i had was in neverwinternight persistent servers. I had so much potential. When game companies get too greedy that shit interferes with whats fun and people dont play their games. Like warhammer online, wtf hemorrhaging subs, why? We made it just like WoW BGs, but from lvl1?!?

I think thats my hope for the future of MMOs, small teams in Emu like these or a team that stick to their vision with financial backing that is fine with making a bunch of money instead of OMG IM SO RICH LOOK AT ALL THAT FUCKING MONEY [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread