Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Kobold

Default A strange but applicable query

I used to play EQ live back in the day, but I started around fall of '03 so I guess I never really got to experience true classic EQ and kunark and velious when they were first released.

I was just looking for maybe someone who played classic EQ tell me basically what is so awesome about kunark/velious. Just wanted to get an idea of what people liked about them that made them so epic.

Forgive the randomness of the question, and sorry if it's a bit confusing lol.

based on my avatar pic, would you say that I am probably a complete scumbag IRL
Old 05-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Fire Giant

Kunark was crazy to me, I was still kinda lower level so exploring it all was ridiculous. Have lots of memories at the giant fort, lots of not so good memories in Dalnir... Karnor's reminded me a lot of Unrest, which I've always had a great love/hate relationship with. City of Mist just made me go wow, though I was mostly scared to enter it. Sebilis is arguably one of the best dungeons ever made...

Velious... the three faction thing was pretty cool, loved Plane of Growth.. not much more to go into there I didn't get to do much high end stuff..

Both added a lot more upper tier content and world spawns that added a lot of fun/competitiveness.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

Velious was the first expansion that really brought out some high tier raiding, with all the competing with other guilds, getting keys for members so you could do different content. Different encounters which required some pretty decent tactics. Velious also had the armour quests.

Kunark had epic quests, as well as some very signature zones [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I enchant things...
Old 05-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Kobold

Lol this actually leads me to a offshoot to my original question. What is so awesome about sebilis? I also hear so many people freak out and say how great it is all the time.

Just a random thought.

based on my avatar pic, would you say that I am probably a complete scumbag IRL
Old 05-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruumsh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol this actually leads me to a offshoot to my original question. What is so awesome about sebilis? I also hear so many people freak out and say how great it is all the time.

Just a random thought.
A gigantic zone where a group of low 50's could fight at the entrance, and a raid force of 60's could fight Trakanon at the end. Zone spiraled off in all different directions with different difficulties, loot, etc. Shit I'm pretty sure something like 7-8+ groups could fight comfortably in there without stepping on each others toes, and if you were lucky enough to be a cleric/enc/wizard in an AE group... well you really had some fun...
Old 05-10-2010, 02:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
what is so awesome about kunark/velious.
thats answered with a few words ... its a challange [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] its hard to get everything you want ... good risk vs. reward ratio imho ...
Old 05-10-2010, 03:03 AM
Fire Giant

The design of the game was almost flawless imo, although thats basically an opinion.

The game was hard, unrewarding at times, and rewarding at others. Epic quests were VERY relevant throughout velious (whereas by '03, Epics were basically trash to top tier raid loot). The encounters were memorable and basically made you yearn for more.

Classic gets boring fast when you've done it all before, but Kunark just has so much straight content to do that its unreal. Collecting for epics for you and your alts, and 300+ quests to do, zones to explore, and bosses to take down just make everything so fun.

And VP will take for phone number and call you the next day telling you that you forgot your corpse and your not getting it back.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Sarnak

Ruins of Kunark is still my favorite expansion of any MMO I've yet played. The content was great, it gave a new race with a nice history, great zones, etc.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Aviak

To start, I played an enchanter because I love to CC. It is very true that a skilled enchanter was the most overpowered class in any MMORPG to date. We used to break hate and fear with a single group. That was really intense and fun (especially for the enchanter).

Personally I liked Kunark a lot more than Velious. Lots of GREAT dungeons that required an enchanter (Sebilis, Howling Stones and Karnor's Castle being my favorites). Sebilis had lots of different camps, great loot, fast action, and froglok wizards were great for charming. HS was crazy dangerous and pretty empty. KC was unrest 2.0 with the trains. In classic/Kunark, if you were a good enchanter, people would beg you to join their groups. Also with Kunark came the epic weapon quests, I still remember the moment I made the final turn-in in Burning Woods (although with it came the never ending tells of "shissar speed plz").

Velious started out ok but the high end raid content didn't need crowd control, and in places like ToV nothing could be mezzed. Enchanters turned into buff bots. Planes of Growth and Mischief were the highlights for me.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Sarnak

I think it's also a psychological thing as well as "cool content" based. For many of us, EQ was our first serious MMO (I'd played Dragon Gate and UO, but neither for longer than a few weeks). So likewise, Kunark's release was the first time most of us had ever had our virtual world expand. And it was intoxicating, to suddenly go from the now mundane world of classic EQ to suddenly having this gigantic new place to explore. Nowadays, new content just feels like the next step in the grind. But back then, I honestly wasn't even expecting an expansion pack.
Closed Thread