Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old Today, 04:20 AM
Aviak

Default World of Warcraft is a really old game now.

I'm very active on P99 and on WoW. I've played WoW for well over 20 years at this point now. It's just an interesting thing for me to think about when I have WoW friends gasp at me and tell me how old EQ is because it completely goes over their head that one game is 25 years old, and the other game is almost 21 years old.
I also genuinely wonder if EQ would still be alive and well if Sony didn't pull the plug on it for EQ 2.

There are other philosophical questions I have. Like people tell me the reason the P99 community is so friendly is because they are old. Meanwhile I'm surrounded by dudes in their 40s on WoW who are complete jerks, and I'm still in my 30s, despite playing EQ in '99.

The history revisionists drive me wild too. The 25 year olds whose eyes light up when they find out I play EQ. They always assume that because Runescape came out in 2001, that it was the top MMO of the time, and in reality, no one I know played RS. But in their mind it was the first OG / top MMO of the early 2000s. I don't even think it became a thing until much later?

PS. Also in all seriousness, a woman I dated briefly was making fun of me for WoW's graphics and how out-dated they looked a couple of years ago. It reminded me of how WoW players sound when they talk about EQ. Which is ironic.
Old Today, 07:05 AM
Planar Protector

WoW is a new game, and as such fake and no good. Eq is not old, it is just classic.

Please stop hurting my feelings with your comments.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old Today, 08:17 AM
Planar Protector

asherons call was the best mmo of all time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Old Today, 09:48 AM
Planar Protector

Everyone played world of warcraft. Only true nerds played everquest.
Old Today, 10:15 AM
Planar Protector

EQ.
Planescape.
DAOC.

In decending Order.
Old Today, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

Star wars was pretty cool too before the ruined it.
Old Today, 11:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which time?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old Today, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which time?
Heh, there are several valid answers to that question, but I assumed he meant the "combat upgrade" patch that completely changed (ruined) how the game worked.

It's also worth noting that the game was pretty crap on launch, and it took like six months to get to the usual "semi-complete Verant game" state ... but I totally agree that, in it's heyday, SWG was pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
WoW
It's funny that we have a WoW thread going this morning because I just read about this: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2024/...do-solo-raids/

TLDR; Blizzard is adding a new level of difficulty to their newest raids ... solo. Yes, you heard that correctly: you can now solo WoW raids.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old Today, 12:32 PM
Planar Protector

yeah thats dumb

the only thing WoW does well is high end raiding

There are 507 guilds that have killed at least 1 mythic boss since release on September 17th. If you're not in one of those, why are you even playing wow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Old Today, 01:42 PM
Sarnak

EQ is more frendly, because playing it is like "hanging out with people"

it's why its so addictive to me, like, it itches the "stay away from people" and the "live in a society" parts of my brain.

Quote:
TLDR; Blizzard is adding a new level of difficulty to their newest raids ... solo. Yes, you heard that correctly: you can now solo WoW raids.
This too is a big thing I think. Eq has no hearthstones and dungeon que's, making it difficult to get around alone. Even if you're an active player after 20 years with BIS, you still need to beg someone to port you somewhere.

It reminds us that we need each other, even if we're soloing on enchanters and shamans 90% of the time.