Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Large Rat

Default A tree falls in the woods and makes only a slight farting sound

Hey all, just got told about this server a week or so ago. Finally managed to get to 20 and get some friends playing (some of them new, wanted them to experience 'classic' eq pvp) but i've reached the point where i don't think its worth playing further. This isn't a rant (i apologize if it comes across as such), more of a depressed monologue for the three people reading who are actually interested in what i'm saying.

To give you some background history on myself, i started playing eq within the first month of launch (might have been within the first week, didn't pay attention although i might be able to dig up my old account and find out the join date). Played on the tunare server for maybe an hour before i thought: damn this is going to be pointless at higher levels, and rerolled on the rallos server where i stayed until sullon opened and i migrated there. Played until about midway through planes of power when i had to quit, combination of rl stuff and despising what the plane of knowledge books had done to pvp and the game in general. Someone told me about this server a week or two ago and i've been grinding a lowbie while trying not to progress too far so i can group with friends who are largely here now.

But so far the game seems to be all about the twinking. Get people to give you things, or grind xp enough to get to a level where people will give you things. Time spent trying to cover naked gear slots is time wasted, its better spent on getting the levels needed to be given better gear or farming (or buying) plat so you can buy better gear. Dungeons are good for farming plat, for example you can run najena to gain the plat needed to buy a flowing black robe. Being a bit snarky here, but i'm sure those 3 people reading this right now just felt that last sentence like a punch in the face. No need to point it out, i already know.

Basically i'm not seeing the potential for any sense of accomplishment - its feeling like an arena deathmatch style pvp game with an annoying pve grind requirement. The two elements (pve and pvp) are way out of balance. I'd love to grind dungeons and after beating mobs and gankers finally getting that leet drop i wanted, but facing reality here it really is about the plat and the handouts.

Given some of the vet players in the game and their ability to twink their alts (and why not, that the point of being an vet player right?) gear is necessary to have a chance in pvp and not be farmed. Losing a fight in pvp can be fun (#1), but being farmed is not. Its probably due to the low server pop (and probably a vicious cycle at this point), but my impression of the nihilim guild is that they're bored shitless (hence the 'only logs on for raids' stuff in ooc) and/or starved for good pvp (hence the 'only logs on to farm/grief newbies' stuff in ooc. #2). It is a pvp game, expecting them to give up their advantage doesn't seem right, and if they all left tomorrow another guild would take their place and it would be business as usual, but something's not right here.

Which leads to the other extreme: you should join red dawn. I've met some really nice guys in red dawn (and in nihilim, and others, and unclanned), and i don't intend offence but i'm sure this will cause it and i apologize in advance. They're a zerg guild. I hear people saying in ooc that nihi has more members, maybe thats true - but i don't see nihi in every populated zone i go to, i see red dawn. Nothing against them personally, but i've been in and fought against enough zerg guilds in my time to not want to be part of that scene. Thats all i have to say about that.

So yeah, not expecting anything to come of this post. Not wanting people to change the game for me, or expecting anyone to care or notice, just putting this out there in case its of interest or something to anyone. The 'official' servers (and sony in general) drive me nuts, i really don't like what they've done to the game, but at this point i'm thinking well maybe filling my party with npcs and clicking the 'travel from one side of the world to the other' button isn't such a bad thing.

Anyways, i sit here now trying to summon the willpower needed to log on and i don't think its going to happen. The house does need cleaning though, so maybe its for the best.

----------------------

#1 Happened a few days ago, i was grouped with a higher level shammie and a chanter friend (who was too low to assist) when a cleric 4 levels above me rocked up and attacked me right as my sow runs out. My 1hs does about 12 per hit, his melee was doing about 30-40 to me, but i survived way longer than i had a right to (thanks to the shammie heals and the gear i'd been given) and managed to get him down to about 30%ish and oom (while riding the ragged edge of zero hp, i fell and got up many times). I would have probably been coined, but at that point it was possible for a miracle to occur and it sort of did - cazel wandered past and well, yeah, lol. But despite losing that was hell fun.

#2 at what point did level 52 become newbies?

edit: can't see a way to lock the thread or get mod attention. Mods might want to lock this or move it to rants/flames if they wander past and see it, just seeing the same arguments and flames in here.
Last edited by Sardius; 12-24-2013 at 08:27 PM..
Old 12-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Sektor

welcome. Didn't read tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffpuppy View Post
Saint Sektor cleansing the server of sick humans. This guy deserves VIP / Contributor status.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardius [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which leads to the other extreme: you should join red dawn. I've met some really nice guys in red dawn (and in nihilim, and others, and unclanned), and i don't intend offence but i'm sure this will cause it and i apologize in advance. They're a zerg guild. I hear people saying in ooc that nihi has more members, maybe thats true - but i don't see nihi in every populated zone i go to, i see red dawn. Nothing against them personally, but i've been in and fought against enough zerg guilds in my time to not want to be part of that scene. Thats all i have to say about that.
Of course we are a large guild, this is a small pop server. The reason you don't see more Nihilum online is because for the most part they have maxed their characters for progression. Most of them will only log on when there's mass pvp or a target is up. There's nothing wrong with that, it's only natural people won't log on if there's nothing to do, but don't fool yourself into thinking that because you only see several on during the day that they are a "small" guild, far from it, they have 50+ for raids. Because of this, and due to the high turnover rate on this server, etc., the only effective way to compete is to have a pretty open recruiting policy. We do have rules, and plenty of people HAVE been removed from Red Dawn for repeated violations of those rules. But to think we'd turn down new players who conform to our rules and vision, when we're attempting to compete long term and with Velious on the horizon, is ridiculous. If the server was different, the competing guild smaller, etc., then yes, Red Dawn would be built differently, but since it's not, the guild is built accordingly.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Large Rat

@sektor: no need to say hi, i've been waving at your gear corpse in neriak for the last several days as i go in and out of the city.

@heartbrand: yeah, maybe i'm just getting a bad impression from the low server pop making your guild look larger than it is in comparison.

*edit: @heartbrand: barring the rare incident of pvp (think i've had 3 maybe 4 encounters so far to lvl 20), i was having the nostalgia of a blue server - here on the red server. But thats probably for the best, because i don't have the gear to compete and i'm not interested in begging for it. This just isn't for me it seems. /edit

-----

Maybe i'm just whiny or whatever, i'll follow this post a couple days out of morbid curiousity then move on. Already downloading and looking at more 'pvp arena' type games where there hopefully won't be a 52/60 level grind to jump into the action. But i was cooking breakfast and the word beggarquest just popped into my head. Meh.
Last edited by Sardius; 12-24-2013 at 07:24 PM..
Old 12-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Planar Protector

Red Dawn raids with the same dregs of society characters that have been trolling this server both in and out of game for 2 years.

0 integrity.

Nevertheless welcome new guy. Most of the players simply seeking the nostalgia of EQ and a little camaraderie play on the blue server. Those seeking more competition and some pvp are by far in the minority, so you'll notice most people bee line it to the higher levels and join in on the pvp.

If you need any help feel free to PM me. I also pay well for the completion of a few mundane tasks if you need plat. Inquire within.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullah [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Red Dawn raids with the same dregs of society characters that have been trolling this server both in and out of game for 2 years.

0 integrity.

Nevertheless welcome new guy. Most of the players simply seeking the nostalgia of EQ and a little camaraderie play on the blue server. Those seeking more competition and some pvp are by far in the minority, so you'll notice most people bee line it to the higher levels and join in on the pvp.

If you need any help feel free to PM me. I also pay well for the completion of a few mundane tasks if you need plat. Inquire within.
Aren't you guilded with Retttiwalk, a guy banned for stripping and deleting chars in your guild? Aren't you guilded with Northwest, banned for stripping as well as posting RL photos of peoples kids? Aren't you guilded with Strydur / Glyph / Bulletproofx, known for making homophobic slurs / racist slurs / real life threats, making videos threatening peoples lives, griefing players and killing rezzed players? Aren't you guilded with Tune, who was banned before on Fallen for boxing, warned multiple times for game play, and who routinely farms lowbies for leaderboard? Aren't you guilded with $ektor? Aren't you guilded with Extreme, someone who said in OOC he hopes my newborn son dies of SIDS? Aren't you guilded with Gyno who paid RMT for his character to be PLed? Aren't you guilded with Agatha who stripped multiple characters, admits to boxing, etc.?

I could keep that list going about another 20 names, but I think you get the point. The difference between Nihilum and Red Dawn is that when players break our rules, we actually remove them. Does this mean you won't encounter dick heads in Red Dawn. Absolutely not. However, when you bring them to my attention, they WILL be dealt with.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sektor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
welcome. Didn't read tho.
lold
Old 12-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Planar Protector

Citing people's personal problems and actions against other individuals is a far cry from aiding and abetting players/trolls whose sole purpose on this box is to grief players and propagate a hostile environment both in and out of game.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Planar Protector

I would say asking for peoples kids to die in OOC, farming newbies for leaderboard, RMTing, spamming racist and real life threats in OOC, is all troll like behavior that kills the pop, but I mean what do I know?

Who are we "aiding and abetting?" Anyone who spams real life threats in this guild, routinely breaks our rules of non-griefing, etc., is removed. Just today I had to remove someone I caught boxing from the guild. They were a good member, but if you box, you're not welcome. If Nihilum was to apply this, Qazzaz / Agatha / Jupe would be guildless.