Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

Pickled said himself he's just doing this for kicks. Obviously there are right and wrong ways to use a language, whether or not someone understands you when you use it wrongly doesn't make it viable as the development of that language. It just makes you wrong.

Not too sure on my opinion of the meaning of google, i mean it was already a word (10^100) but now because of the popularity of a search engine it's become a verb... i dislike this!!! Even if everyone recognises when people say someone googles something, that's fine, it's slang, it's practically universal.

I enchant things...
Old 06-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

Yea i fuck up words often, and look dumb myself. It doesnt stop me from being annoyed at particular things people say.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Omni, that's "Googled" with a capital G according to the Associated Press. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

And is it a tautology if I say I don't like verbizing? Because isn't using the word verbizing verbizing? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea i fuck up words often, and look dumb myself. It doesnt stop me from being annoyed at particular things people say.
As long as you can acknolwedge that it's just your OCD kicking in rather than some sort of universal ethical principle that people are violating when they use words that annoy you then I guess we don't have a problem.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled_heretic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As long as you can acknolwedge that it's just your OCD kicking in rather than some sort of universal ethical principle that people are violating when they use words that annoy you then I guess we don't have a problem.
No I'm quite prejudice against people who use slang to be lazy. L337 speech is something akin to nails on a chalkboard.

Donate a water filter in Haiti. Click Here
Old 06-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled_heretic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So how would you diagnose your compulsion of pointless nitpicking with an obvious troll called clamsmasher22? Or with us for that matter. Since were flaming and all that.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So how would you diagnose your compulsion of pointless nitpicking with an obvious troll called clamsmasher22? Or with us for that matter. Since were flaming and all that.
see this post:

Quote:
Not that laissez-faire linguistics needs a patron or defender. Language will continue to evolve with or without you. I really just came in here to stir up some shit for my afternoon shit and so far I'd say mission successful.
Language changes though many mechanisms, including slang and assimilation of words from other languages. None of you here can stop that. The fact that you complain about it is probably going to make these words seem even more exotic to some people and may even accelerate this rate of change.

It's like you're all saying "I think it's terrible that natural selection determines that the most successful species thrive and survive! We have to do something to stop it!" Lol. Good luck with that.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Ihealyou

Quote:
It's like you're all saying "I think it's terrible that natural selection determines that the most successful species thrive and survive! We have to do something to stop it!" Lol. Good luck with that.
I believe God said that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Uuur - Your favorite Master +1 cleric <LifeAlert>
Rockwell - Your favorite 30 virgin <Aspen and Rockwell>
Old 06-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Banned

Newsatleven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I recommend looking at L. Sprague De Camp's theories on the english language evolving from a science fiction writer's perspective.
Alternatively, one could also look at A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess and Nadsat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadsat Although technically an argot, slang can become part of the lexicon of a language due to cross cultural pollination.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
None of you here can stop that.
You're right but I'll be damned if I'm going to sit here and accept/defend it because someone told me to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind View Post
It actually takes more time for you to create an account, and all the posts than it does to ban you.
Closed Thread