Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 06-20-2023, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ogres and Trolls have a hidden ability called "smell my finger."
LOL you figured it out!
Old 06-20-2023, 04:20 PM
Planar Protector

Yea these guys are wrong. AC while crawling dungeons is king if your gear is "end game" (mines about 1500). Not sure why you'd be fear kiting as a 6k/1500ac sk working your way through a dungeon but I'm a paladin not a sk.
Old 06-20-2023, 04:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea these guys are wrong. AC while crawling dungeons is king if your gear is "end game" (mines about 1500). Not sure why you'd be fear kiting as a 6k/1500ac sk working your way through a dungeon but I'm a paladin not a sk.
Oh thats easy. You don't take damage when fear kiting[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Not getting hit is the best form of mitigation.
Old 06-20-2023, 05:35 PM
Planar Protector

I think your taps will be sufficient for everything but named mobs tbh. I'd be curious what keer's experience is? Where are all the high end sks at?
Old 06-20-2023, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think your taps will be sufficient for everything but named mobs tbh. I'd be curious what keer's experience is? Where are all the high end sks at?
Lol I'm a high level SK with raid gear. It is cute you think strategies significantly change with a slightly better FD and Life Tap. You don't get a Torpor type game changing spell at 60.

Anything that can be fear kited should be. Draining half your mana in taps for one fight simply isn't efficient when killing fearable mobs.

When you are fighting something like a Cliff Golem (unfearable) then of course you are using your AC more. But you'd basically need to devise a method for determining how much damage an extra 35 AC at 1500 AC would mitigate, and I don't think anyone has done that.

As far as I know P99 has a softcap of 289 AC and the iksar AC bonus doesnt raise it like shields, unless someone has figured out something new recently.

EDIT: according to haynar in 2014 https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...8&postcount=13 there is a softcap system in place. He says 385 ac is the "low level cap", whatever that means. Not sure what the cap is when you leave the low levels.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 06-20-2023 at 06:29 PM..
Old 06-20-2023, 06:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol I'm a high level SK with raid gear. It is cute you think strategies significantly change with a slightly better FD and Life Tap. You don't get a Torpor type game changing spell at 60.

Anything that can be fear kited should be. Draining half your mana in taps for one fight simply isn't efficient when killing fearable mobs.

When you are fighting something like a Cliff Golem (unfearable) then of course you are using your AC more. But you'd basically need to devise a method for determining how much damage an extra 35 AC at 1500 AC would mitigate, and I don't think anyone has done that.

As far as I know P99 has a softcap of 289 AC and the iksar AC bonus isn't excluded like shields, unless someone has figured out something new recently.
Yea he’s referring to crawling kunark dungeons with 1500 ac and just face tanking stuff instead of fear kiting. Anyone who has played an sk at a high level knows how horribly inefficient they are at healing themselves. The sk Epic was the most game changing item I’ve ever experienced besides a fungi as it severely reduced the amount of downtime needed, but even then you’re still relying on procs which isn’t ideal when the mobs start getting really hard you have to weigh the dps loss. If you have the space to fear kite, then I agree you should be fear kiting or at least trying to mix it in. Especially for undead since the undead fear is so good. This is a good time to mix in epic too since you’re not taking hits you can try to get some procs in with a lower dps weapon. Sk killing is a balancing act between your hp and mana. If you flat out refuse to fear kite even if you have room to do so, then you’re just being inefficient 50+ and you’re left either clicking the slow ass bp for 90 hp or trying to proc epic on an eye if you were lucky enough to get some
Pre nerf beads.
Old 06-20-2023, 06:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea he’s referring to crawling kunark dungeons with 1500 ac and just face tanking stuff instead of fear kiting. Anyone who has played an sk at a high level knows how horribly inefficient they are at healing themselves. The sk Epic was the most game changing item I’ve ever experienced besides a fungi as it severely reduced the amount of downtime needed, but even then you’re still relying on procs which isn’t ideal when the mobs start getting really hard you have to weigh the dps loss. If you have the space to fear kite, then I agree you should be fear kiting or at least trying to mix it in. Especially for undead since the undead fear is so good. This is a good time to mix in epic too since you’re not taking hits you can try to get some procs in with a lower dps weapon. Sk killing is a balancing act between your hp and mana. If you flat out refuse to fear kite even if you have room to do so, then you’re just being inefficient 50+ and you’re left either clicking the slow ass bp for 90 hp or trying to proc epic on an eye if you were lucky enough to get some
Pre nerf beads.
I agree with this. I also agree about the SK Epic. Got mine a few weeks ago and it is very nice for healing.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As far as I know P99 has a softcap of 289 AC and the iksar AC bonus doesnt raise it like shields, unless someone has figured out something new recently.

EDIT: according to haynar in 2014 https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...8&postcount=13 there is a softcap system in place. He says 385 ac is the "low level cap", whatever that means. Not sure what the cap is when you leave the low levels.
Is your magelo out of date bc you look like a sub 60 piece meal geared alt to me and no where near end game raid gear. I dont think you guys understood OPs question tbh
Old 06-21-2023, 09:10 AM
Planar Protector

Yea idk guys. With actual end game raid gear I don't even bother to wear my narandi and just wear the hobarts. Y'alls points make sense if you geared up in EC and you're trying to level up. If you're one of the knights I played with back in the day wearing full velious raid gear and multiple vulak items then you definitely don't need to fear kite or carry around ft2 helm to efficiently clear a kunark dungeon. Maybe y'all have a friend who is geared and could walk you through what it looks like in real time to fight a bok knight or a HS skeleton at the real end game.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:30 AM
Planar Protector

Being large in dungeons is horrible.

Best race is anything but ogre / troll if ya gonna be BiS anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.