Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 11-27-2023, 02:04 AM
Fire Giant

I refuse to engage with this lunatic further. He really needs to stop posting at this point.
Old 11-27-2023, 02:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I refuse to engage with this lunatic further. He really needs to stop posting at this point.
As you can see, you have nothing to refute my points. Thank you for admitting you have no ability to show that spamming taunt is "moronic". I accept your concession.

Spamming Taunt and holding Taunt for the right time are both perfectly viable strategies. Taunt has a fast enough cooldown to where you can always switch your tactics when needed. There are pros and cons to both strategies. There is no evidence to suggest one strategy is unusable, or provides no benefit/a negative effect.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 11-27-2023 at 02:12 AM..
Old 11-27-2023, 03:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you were spamming taunt, it is possible the mob would never have gone to the Enchanter too.
There is another reason too. While a mob is rooted the tank may lose aggro without realising. Periodically taunting rooted mobs can be helpful to ensure they don’t run off after another groupmate when root fades/breaks.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 11-27-2023, 03:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is another reason too. While a mob is rooted the tank may lose aggro without realising. Periodically taunting rooted mobs can be helpful to ensure they don’t run off after another groupmate when root fades/breaks.
That's a great point! I never thought about that scenario before.
Old 11-27-2023, 05:27 AM
Kobold

You keep spamming your taunt button you bad tank �� meanwhile, I will save it to ensure it is ready to use the very second I decide I need it. Of course you never thought about that scenario before because you're bad. You gave 1 use case scenario for taunt and that's it. You've clearly never played a warrior before. Maybe try it and learn some tips on how SKs use our taunt.
Old 11-27-2023, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesty07 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You keep spamming your taunt button you bad tank �� meanwhile, I will save it to ensure it is ready to use the very second I decide I need it. Of course you never thought about that scenario before because you're bad. You gave 1 use case scenario for taunt and that's it. You've clearly never played a warrior before. Maybe try it and learn some tips on how SKs use our taunt.
You are also unable to explain why spamming taunt is bad. Thank you for conceding and admitting you are wrong via rage post.
Old 11-27-2023, 11:02 AM
Fire Giant

I think we all need to come to some unspoken agreement here to stop speaking to DSM. I'm usually against the silent treatment for people, but DSM is such an abrasive, childish person who makes the most inane arguments that noone else on the forums make (apart from maybe Zuranthium). I think it's warranted.
Last edited by Gloomlord; 11-27-2023 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Missed a word
Old 11-27-2023, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think we all need to come to some unspoken agreement here to speaking to DSM. I'm usually against the silent treatment for people, but DSM is such an abrasive, childish person who makes the most inane arguments that noone else on the forums make (apart from maybe Zuranthium). I think it's warranted.
Still trolling? You probably have 85% troll posts in your history now, well over 450 in total. Hopefully one day you will write a post on these forums that isn't childish. I still think you can improve yourself. Please do!
Old 11-27-2023, 11:10 AM
Fire Giant

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-27-2023, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
like i said way back , taunt is great for +1 when you arent the main tank and re establishing threat as you havent began to cast 30x into the mob. the +1 can help you get up before you start spamming spells. spamming taunt is dumb. its a case use thing to help establish your threat if you werent the one tanking first, otherwise knights aint losing it.
Yeah, we're very much on the same page. I prefer to call it pointless rather than dumb simply because such spam isn't hurting anything, either. +5-8 or so aggro per minute very much is pointless because in no world will it ever make a difference. It's too small a value. Neither is it hurting anyone though in a single-tank environment.

I like Jimjam's notion that it may help an inexperienced tank who can't tell if he has aggro or not against rooted targets. That didn't even occur to me. I've done this job so long I've long since developed a sense for whether or not I'm generating sufficient threat and can't "think like a newbie" anymore. That's a fair use for it, then, in that situation for less-experienced players. That's the forum at its best--seeing ideas I would not think of on my own.

Closest I get to "taunt spam" is I'll more or less spam it on mezzed creatures (NOT my primary target obviously--lot of target-switching going on) to try to keep threat on them. Years ago I used to tag mezzed creatures with 0-damage spells, but that tactic grew too mana intensive when the P99 enchanter meta changed to spamming low-rank mez that memblurs constantly, hence wiping out my efforts. Taunt doesn't work as well--but it's free, and free is important in that environment. Still isn't necessary and could be called pointless work on my part, but I like to save the enchanter as many hits as I can since rune spells cost some money and my abilities cost nothing.