Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 02:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Eq is not competitive or hard lol.
mechanically its not.. like people like us have played EQ so much that like... its really dumbed down and simplistic

but 20 years ago with no wiki, no prior knowledge, not even being able to tab out to look at stuff... made it way harder

i remember dreading having to load because I didnt know if my computer would crash... like sometimes i would be at loading screen for 5+ minutes when i was getting ready to pull the plug and suddenly i realized the game was still running and hadnt crashed...

ya know now when i play, i alt tab out and watch youtube, i listen to podcasts in the background... back in the day it was just ... staring at a screen... not really knowing what to do.

but i also will say a lot of wow players would struggle with EQ, and not just because its a time sync (I find wow classic far more grueling than the grind in EQ), but the amount of preparation and thought that goes into things... like when I heal a dungeon in WoW, i know exactly how much mana im going to use before a pull... as long as I have a certain amount of mana, nothing can go wrong...

in EQ... like something very tiny could wipe your entire group unexpectedly... especially on Green when you couldnt duck to cancel castings... imagine starting a complete heal and accidentally moving, now youre locked into casting it for 10 seconds, and now the person you need to heal is super low and youre trying to cast another slow ass heal, but now actually a dps got aggro and you accidentally heal his corpse trying to keep him alive, but now that hes dead the mob is back on the tank that you didnt heal because you were trying to heal the enchanter..
like idk.

also mouse-clicking as a skill is something that has been lost to time. Mouse-clicking is universally seen as bad on WOW, but that's also stupid and I think modern games could bring back mouse clicking as a large part of game-play to add an extra layer of skill level that is missing.

im not talking about forcing players to click t heir spell buttons, but actually having to use their mouse to rapidly target things, open bags, swap items and spells in and out. its a real skill and not one i remembered until playing on green and having my enchanter be shocked at house fast i could target stuff (i came straight from overwatch so my mouse skills were lightning fast)...
Old 05-19-2021, 02:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

in EQ... like something very tiny could wipe your entire group unexpectedly... especially on Green when you couldnt duck to cancel castings... imagine starting a complete heal and accidentally moving, now youre locked into casting it for 10 seconds, and now the person you need to heal is super low and youre trying to cast another slow ass heal, but now actually a dps got aggro and you accidentally heal his corpse trying to keep him alive, but now that hes dead the mob is back on the tank that you didnt heal because you were trying to heal the enchanter..
like idk.
now you fizzled 3 times and you're out of mana, and your tank is screaming at you asking why you didnt tell him you needed a med break
Old 05-19-2021, 03:43 AM
Planar Protector

I'd wait a month for 95% of them to inevitably quit
Old 05-19-2021, 04:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P.s.

I remember playing Quake 2 in 400x300 software rendering on a p200mmx, and then buying a voodoo2 to play Everquest, and suddenly playing Q2 in 800x600 with like double the fps. Blew me away.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecondoJoe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

but i also will say a lot of wow players would struggle with EQ, and not just because its a time sync (I find wow classic far more grueling than the grind in EQ), but the amount of preparation and thought that goes into things... like when I heal a dungeon in WoW, i know exactly how much mana im going to use before a pull... as long as I have a certain amount of mana, nothing can go wrong...
Technically a scripted PvE encounter can never match the challenge potential involving both macro but also micromanagement involved in a team-based PvP match. This is because no matter how difficult a PvE encounter is programmed to be, the raid target will always behave based on its pre-programmed AI. Learn the AI, beat the encounter. A player opponent has an infinitely wider range of possible choices they can make

I was never super into EQ's pvp, but I was super into WoW's, specifically arenas. Then and now in WoW, almost always a top ranked arena player could learn the hardest raids but a top PvE player could almost never achieve top 10 rank in arenas
Old 05-19-2021, 04:31 AM
Planar Protector

Speaking of systems and stats. I am almost ready to start hosting the eq-archives search engine again.

Decided to self-host because Azure is rather expensive even with spot instances, and that doesn't work too well with an always-up portal.

I have gigabit line at home so will set this up next to my router downstairs:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...m2-pcie-25-sat

Also bought 64GB of PC3200 and a 1TB m.2 ssd to go with.

Should be up and running in early June.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210514_0936212.jpg (91.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg frebin search.jpg (21.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-19-2021, 04:38 AM
Banned

In regards to grind, nothing in EQ can compare to vanilla WoW's rank 14 grind. It required at least 12 hours/day and that's IF you had a team that won 100% of Battlegrounds in 5-10 minutes. If you were trying to go Ronin and solo your way to rank 14 it would usually require 16-20 hours/day 7 days a week depending on server size. Each player killed in pvp tended to award something like 15-30 honor, and on my vasnilla WoW server in order to place in the top 5 spots for honor at the end of the week, you needed at least 1,200,000 honor. That's a LOT of fucking pvp

And Wow's rank 14 grind was life-draining and soul-crushing due to the fact that you were competing against all the hyper-nerds of your 5000+ player server, but also if you were rank 12-13 and you DIDN'T place in the top 5ish for honor points earned for your server, you would actually lose progress. That's what made people in my BG ranking team legit suicidal - playing 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, then at the end of that week, actually LOSING 20% of your previous progress in rank 13 because some super-neckbeards played more than that. All that effort that week, wasted

Most grinds involve an insane amount of work, but that progress in that work is saved and moves one direction. Imagine a grind where progress moves more violently in the other direction the closer to the end you get. Most people that achieved it either sold their account or just quit the game due to extreme burnout at that point. I got rank 14 and made a few pvp vids, and then continued on into TBC. I was living very unhealthy IRL then though
Old 05-19-2021, 06:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Technically a scripted PvE encounter can never match the challenge potential involving both macro but also micromanagement involved in a team-based PvP match. This is because no matter how difficult a PvE encounter is programmed to be, the raid target will always behave based on its pre-programmed AI. Learn the AI, beat the encounter. A player opponent has an infinitely wider range of possible choices they can make

I was never super into EQ's pvp, but I was super into WoW's, specifically arenas. Then and now in WoW, almost always a top ranked arena player could learn the hardest raids but a top PvE player could almost never achieve top 10 rank in arenas
I don't disagree with you. WoW's PVP is the only thing that has kept me playing the game off and on for years... but even the leveling grind in WoW feels worse to me....
And I know I'm not the only person who feels that way, hence paid character boosts.. like you couldn't pay me to level alts on WoW, which is why I've essentially been a Rogue main for like 16+ years now

but on EQ I can just go to a random server and start over fresh and have just as much fun (if not more) than I would playing on my main...

I think I just really dont like doing quests to level, it feels like a running simulator where you try to figure out what stupid crap it wants you to do without actually reading the quest...

even on WoW classic I level purely by grinding.. I can grind almost all day, but the second I start doing pointless quests I get burned out super quick.

It's just that in EQ ya know, the 1-59 is actually more important than max level in so many ways, and I think that's one thing Pantheon is trying to capture when they talk about making a game that is more about the journey than the end.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:58 AM
Planar Protector

Pantheon reminds me of DaoC with a WoW & EQ flavoring packet tossed in. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-19-2021, 08:01 AM
Planar Protector

Windows Computer.. not a streamlined Oblivion X360

Comparisons to original EQ make my stomach turn when the desktop computer rides bitch to so many bad influences. I look like an idiot every time I rant about it, like trying to fight the ocean waves.

Beat one wave down and here comes some full force retardation with an undertow.