Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 08:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I watch merger after merger after merger happening at a quickening pace over the last 10-15 years. Every industry is quickly being conglomerated into as few as 1-3 entities, eliminating competition and fucking over consumers, small businesses, and labor. Even fiscal conservatives and trickle down dipshits will admit that monopolies are antithetic to fair and prosperous free market capitalism, and that the free market has no natural resolution for monopolies.

And yet the only entity capable of trust-busting activity, of shattering these monopolies and ensuring fair and healthy competition, is a strong federal government. Maybe you should pick up a history book and read about what capitalism was like before the government began actively breaking up monopolies, and why we're in a state of crisis precisely because our government is no longer doing this.
The problem isn't a natural monopoly, but rather when monopolies are protected by government, or when regulation favors big old companies. As companies become bigger, they have more clout with politicians and are able to lobby for regulations that are a hindrance to potential startup firms, artificially increasing barrier to entries and this also means that they have less of an incentive to innovate in industry and simply become rent seekers.

One can look at alcoa and standard oil examples where these companies were convicted of monopoly practices, yet production increased every year up until that point and prices dropped every year as well, hardly the behavior you'd expect from a predatory monopoly. An angle you can look at is if the effects they had on the environment were detrimental and going unchecked I guess.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:32 PM
Fire Giant

TIL only USA has freedom

time to repost this i guess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4r7hIWln7Q

GREEN: Ineluki - Human Shadow Knight of Inoruuk

lulz
Old 09-24-2016, 08:41 PM
Planar Protector

Ya, the video I linked actually addressed that video showing it to be mostly self-loathing emotion-driven bias, misinformation and outright debunked myths.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Flair [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya, the video I linked actually addressed that video showing it to be mostly self-loathing emotion-driven bias, misinformation and outright debunked myths.
Haha guess what, i didnt even click it since i was sure it was a breitbart article or something of that kind

i wasn't wrong

lulz
Old 09-24-2016, 08:49 PM
Planar Protector

My video absolutely smashed yours. Sorry.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:51 PM
Fire Giant

USA have speeding limits, germany don't

so USA is a dictatorship because you're not free to drive as fast as you want

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lulz
Old 09-24-2016, 08:55 PM
Fire Giant

Age of consent is 16 (at least) in the USA

14 in Portugal

USA is a dictatorship

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lulz
Old 09-24-2016, 09:08 PM
Fire Giant

i had my first sip of wine when i was 13

Can't drink until 21 in the USA

Muh freedom > yours

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lulz
Old 09-24-2016, 09:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnauga [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
USA have speeding limits, germany don't

so USA is a dictatorship because you're not free to drive as fast as you want

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That is funny, but there is truth to that. As far as most people are concerned, freedom only matters as far as its application in their lives and lifestyle.

To someone who only wants to drive fast, eat wienerschnitzel, and watch netflix and has no other ambitions in life, Germany's freedom is superior to any other in that respect.

In that way, its a matter of perspective as to what country is the "best".
Old 09-24-2016, 09:52 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I bet this dope actually thinks the USA is the best place to live
I can name a few places that are without a doubt worst.

1. Africa (oldest human civilizations) now the most corrupt and worst countries to live.

2. Asia (the 2nd oldest civilizations) pretty much trash all around, out of control disease and poverty . Singapore being the exception. Easily governed and controlled because of its small size and new government. Still no opportunity for middle class in Singapore though. It is pretty nice if your rich . Tax advantages are crazy.

3. Europe. ( a mix of old and new) which shows. Most of the high standard of living countries are extremely protectionist and have a population about equal or less than just the state of California.

The only other country I would even seriously consider living/working in would be Australia.
Good weather, jobs, high standard of living. Lots of space.

Now if your talking about , nice places. That is different. Most nice places in the world don't have enough infrastructure to support an actual economy above tourism, so its kind of pointless to even consider as a permanent residence.

Before you ask, yes. I have actually traveled all around the world, and lived in many different places. I have seen first hand, what the rest of the "beautiful" world really is.

In conclusion, what great paradise would you rather live? Since your so full of ideas on how bad the USA sucks lol.
Closed Thread