Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 03-03-2022, 05:49 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I mean "toxicity" (annoyingly vague term btw) wouldn't just go away because there are instances, it would just take some other form. Fact is if the game has any competitive content at all, somebody is going to dominate it, and if the game has no competitive content it's extremely boring and generic.
I just wish there was a place for those who aren't super cutthroat and competitive.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:39 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just wish there was a place for those who aren't super cutthroat and competitive.
There is, just avoid end game raiding. If you avoid it, you don't need the gear it provides anyway.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I still play eq all the time and I've never really been a huge raider. I usually join one of the lower tier guilds and maybe raid when I can, but I'm not even in a guild currently. There are lots of ways to enjoy the game.

You do raise an interesting point though which is that the /list camps were kind of a taste of end game cutthroat nerd dedication that anyone lvl 35+ could partake in, and I can definitely see why that turns people off. There was also kind of a brief culture of comraderie around them too, which is kind of a neat genuinely new emergent thing that wouldn't exist without the list system. I remember specific people from the list camps cause you're all sort of slogging through them together, I chatted with tons of cool people. And we also all hated the jerks who wouldn't help clear the camps. Socially it very much felt classic.

Still it's hard for me to imagine a vanilla-velious eq server that was friendly and casual across the board. What would that look like? If you want a camp that's taken, you just go up and politely ask the person if you can have it? Cause they'll probably say "well uh, no I was here first", even if in a polite way.

It kind of comes down to personality type too. If you're just cool and friendly and patient, most other people on green I've found will be too. Even most people in seal team. If I want to camp something and it's taken, I just send that person a tell and ask if they can let me know when they're leaving, and like 95% of the time they say sure, and they do.
Last edited by Ooloo; 03-03-2022 at 10:30 AM..
Old 03-03-2022, 11:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still it's hard for me to imagine a vanilla-velious eq server that was friendly and casual across the board. What would that look like?
It would look like the vanilla-velious live eq servers that had rotations, for the raid scene, and it would resolve camp disputes using random resolution (just like the GM Guidebook from the live servers said live GMs did).

In other words, it'd be 100% classic ... just not R&N's (hyper-competition-focused) version.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 03-03-2022 at 11:58 AM..
Old 03-03-2022, 12:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
If you want to raid on p99 you are out of luck. If you want to actually experience classic EQ that isn’t super neckbeardy and cringe you will have to go to different server like takp.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is, just avoid end game raiding. If you avoid it, you don't need the gear it provides anyway.
10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Old 03-03-2022, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It would look like the vanilla-velious live eq servers that had rotations, for the raid scene, and it would resolve camp disputes using random resolution (just like the GM Guidebook from the live servers said live GMs did).

In other words, it'd be 100% classic ... just not R&N's (hyper-competition-focused) version.
You missed the part about requiring the parties to work out a compromise themselves first.
Old 03-03-2022, 02:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You missed the part about requiring the parties to work out a compromise themselves first.
Much as I'd like to see that, as it'd be classic ... there are not enough volunteer GMs in the world to enforce it with our population [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:28 PM
Sarnak

Couldn't you use multiple computers with different IPs, all up on a different character to hold multiple spots on the /list?
Old 03-03-2022, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterChimp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Couldn't you use multiple computers with different IPs, all up on a different character to hold multiple spots on the /list?
Yes there are many ways to abuse the /lists. But their presence is still better than their absence on balance, unless:

-You don't think legacy items should exist at all (which would be lame)
or
-You think legacy items should exist forever and never be taken out, which would remove a huge amount of the appeal of them, and also be lame.