Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 04-08-2023, 12:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This was the most interesting post in the thread for me, and IÂ’ll explain why without even using chatgpt :P

First, one of the supposed benefits of public discourse is to come to a general consensus about various issues. Which is kind of the basis of political parties- that they have collectively determined how to feel about the issues of today. And while it’s probably true that there are great ideas from most political parties, it’s a logical fallacy to assume a person has a “better” perspective on the issues if they sometimes go against the general consensus of their political party. This is called the “appeal to novelty” logical fallacy, and it’s something I always remember due to Jordan Peterson using this fallacy in his interview with some self-identified feminist. He suggested that she had worse ideas because she agreed with every other feminist about everything, which she then defensively denied.

Second:

YouÂ’re maybe more enlightened than most here, because instead of deluding yourself into believing youÂ’re not susceptible to confirmation bias you willfully embrace it. Confirmation bias is of course the tendency for people to seek out information that confirms their previously-held beliefs, and by firmly deciding that your beliefs will not be swayed by new information you make it clear that your goal is confirmation bias. Which is so wild to me lmao

Now, group polarization. This is the concept within social psychology that explains how when a group of like-minded people come together, they actually come to hold more extreme beliefs as they discuss their beliefs with one another. It has been studied extensively, and itÂ’s a good thing to try to be aware of as youÂ’re interacting with like-minded individuals. It absolutely is something that happens in these online forums.

And the fourth concept I want to touch on here is the concept of attitude polarization, which is a shift in attitude to more extreme beliefs due to confirmation bias. It has been shown that being subjected to opinions that go against our previously-held beliefs can sometimes just further entrench us in our opposition to these differing ideas, and attitude polarization can be a result of this. One mitigating factor can be the *quality* of discourse taking place; meaning something like academic standards being applied to the practice. Of course academics are just as susceptible to these social-psychological quirks of humanity, so there is no 100% sure way to avoid them.

This is part of why participating in this sort of public discourse can be harmful, or at least push a person into holding extreme views. You may feel it is improving your vocabulary and keeping your mind active, and maybe it is. But thatÂ’s not all itÂ’s doing.

A couple years ago I had a lot of fun talking fitness with you, but more recently IÂ’ve found that more than anything you are hateful. My own biases are ofc at play here, but I do think youÂ’ve radicalized yourself to some extent by talking politics so much in these online spaces. As so many of us have, maybe myself included.

Thanks for making such a perfect post for me to consider <3
I think the chance of someone being manipulated (based on their own gullibility) or bullied into agreeing with everything their political party does, especially considering the tactics used in this political climate, are far greater than it just being a coincidence that they happen to agree with everything

But I can’t jump into anyone’s heads. Agree to disagree
Old 04-08-2023, 12:35 AM
Banned

Agree to disagree on the being hateful, hateful to me has been so often twisted to mean something someone hates hearing. And that’s going to always happen online

If anything conceptualizing and expressing my beliefs have given me a better sense of self. Sorry it’s not someone you like. I wasn’t trying to be
Old 04-08-2023, 06:35 AM
Sarnak

If you keep coming back the you don't deserve better. If you don't like this place, be an influence of what you want to contribute or leave. It's a 1-step program. Works for everything. It'll only suck until it doesn't. Anyone who wants to stand up in the middle of this shit hole and say 'im better than this' looks like a self-indulgent retart
Old 04-08-2023, 06:42 AM
Sarnak

It's funny to read all these nice elaborately worded posts from some as if nobody has the capacity to take into account anything we've ever seen or heard until now and just take the post at face value, no questions asked. To me it reads "...list of opinions about me I want you to pick from. Option #163:..."
Who would we like to believe we're fooling? Hopefully NOT ourselves, it's the internet. Probably the ONLY place we're brave enough to show our true colors. Don't pass up that chance. And don't expect me not to for your sake.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:53 AM
Sarnak

If you're struggling with addiction of any sort that's a bummer and good luck for sure. I know the feeling and it can be a burden for sure! But it's hard to get down on myself for crawling back just to read drama and make fun of people, laugh at memes, or accidentally have a serious conversation with someone cuz it's a community not a DLC cash shop so it's hard to follow along there. I got siblings, lots.. we hated each other a lot but we love each other a lot ! You can do both ya know.

IDK if it helps but the way i I've always looked at bitch ass decisions I don't wanna deal with is like I referenced before. It's a 1-step program. Take it or leave it. Do it or don't. Usually simple, never easy but that's the way of things. Can't get mad about the weather. And I'll always wish someone the best of luck there. Run your race, PG! I'm always rooting for anyone who tries. But don't stand up on a ledge and be like "I'm gonna do it!" and then linger only to say "see, that's why I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna!"
So I'm calling you out, if you haven't left then make better use of your time here until you do. Don't be mad if nobody cares either. You're the only one who can you're the only one who has to.
I'm a lurker I know but damn this is annoying to watch
Old 04-08-2023, 06:59 AM
Sarnak

And Chortles, put a little more effort into your trolling! EDs gone and you're all I got. Don't be fuckin lazy, otherwise you're just like, around -kinda like me.. you don't wanna be like me right?! PG you're probably a good friend for magnetareas to have around too.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:00 AM
Sarnak

What the fuck is wrong with me this morning. Sorry, everyone.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:32 AM
Sarnak

"Is it ok though if I take my respirator of for like just a little bit to scratch my nose if it's itching?"
Old 04-08-2023, 12:09 PM
Banned

Wanted to mention that anything I didn’t specifically address in PG’s post is something I agree with. It was pretty long so I only skimmed but the most of the logic seems sound

Even the reality that one should never assume that someone who 100% agrees with their political party hasn’t been manipulated, and that this could truly occur, seems sound, probably to most people, but not to me

I personally think the chance is approaching zero that someone happens to have grown up with a worldview that perfectly aligns with every tactic, every belief, and every message of their political party. I think it is a near certainty that they were manipulated, at least in some small part, into that. Possibly manipulated somewhat by the opposing party’s vitriol, but mostly by their own party’s bullying, cancel culture, and more subtle manipulation tactics

And yes that is an unfalsifiable statement by me, because it’s not like someone who’s being manipulated recognizes they are. Anyone who has the gall to say “I could never be manipulated, all my beliefs will always be completely my own” is naive to the point they are probably easier to manipulate than most. It’s almost as bad as trying to claim “what I know is more than what I don’t know”

Anyone can be manipulated. What varies is how easily
Old 04-08-2023, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

There seem to be three categories of people:

-People who never change their mind about anything for their entire life

-People who suddenly one day radically switch positions on every single thing they've ever previously believed (very often happens with 18 year olds who were raised strictly religious; the fuck you dad syndrome)

-People who change their minds about some things but not others, over time

I think in general you wanna aim to be in the 3rd group.