Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 01-30-2024, 03:36 AM
Sarnak

Of course miss rate and proc rate both work the same. They're both a property of an individual swing. Why can't you answer this question? Do you understand the words I am using?
Old 01-30-2024, 03:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Of course miss rate and proc rate both work the same. They're both a property of an individual swing. Why can't you answer this question? Do you understand the words I am using?
Then you just need to read this post to find out why you are wrong:

https://project1999.com/forums/showp...&postcount=620

The Ionat data shows how miss rate works, and how average damage is found. This is backed up by data from the game.

Proc rates work the same. You set up a damage table showing the possible damage values per tick based on the length of the encounter vs the DoT time, and the proc rate will pick one of those values at random, as they are all weighed equally, adjusted for PPM.

Procs just occur 0-2 times per minute instead of the larger number of swings you get per minute. Think of it like ionat only being able to swing 1 time. A 50% miss rate means he hits 0-1 times, and when he does hit he picks a random value from the damage table.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-30-2024 at 03:52 AM..
Old 01-30-2024, 03:50 AM
Sarnak

Why won't you let me explain my approach to you? Can you agree that an individual swing has a percentage chance to fire a proc?

This is how it's implemented.
https://github.com/SecretsOTheP/EQMa...tack.cpp#L3721
https://github.com/SecretsOTheP/EQMa...pp#L3809-L3814
Old 01-30-2024, 03:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why won't you let me explain my approach to you? Can you agree that an individual swing has a percentage chance to fire a proc?

This is how it's implemented.
https://github.com/SecretsOTheP/EQMa...tack.cpp#L3721
https://github.com/SecretsOTheP/EQMa...pp#L3809-L3814
I am not stopping you from doing anything.

You have agreed that proc rates and miss rates work the same. I have real in game data showing how avarage damage is calcuated with damage tables and miss rates.

Procs rate works exactly the same, you are just picking 0-2 numbers per minute in the DoT damage table instead of 50 numbers per minute in the Ionat damage table.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-30-2024 at 03:57 AM..
Old 01-30-2024, 03:57 AM
Sarnak

Ever since I asked this question, you've done nothing but stall, evade, and deflect.

Quote:
Fine, can we discuss the very first swing?
If you swing exactly once, there's a 10.4% chance it procs, right?
I might be able to teach you something new if you let me. Let me walk you through this calculation I'm doing.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Ever since I asked this question, you've done nothing but stall, evade, and deflect.

I might be able to teach you something new if you let me. Let me walk you through this calculation I'm doing.
I am not evading or deflecting. I showed you how this works, and you agree proc rate and miss rate work the same:

https://project1999.com/forums/showp...&postcount=620

I have not stopped you from posting what you want to post. You are choosing to do so.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:03 AM
Sarnak

If you are willing to accept for the sake of argument that the basic game mechanic is that each swing has some percentage chance to fire a proc, and that for this weapon we can calculate that chance to be 10.4%, we can continue. Just provisionally, for the sake of argument, accept this way of thinking about procs.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
If you are willing to accept for the sake of argument that the basic game mechanic is that each swing has some percentage chance to fire a proc, and that for this weapon we can calculate that chance to be 10.4%, we can continue. Just provisionally, for the sake of argument, accept this way of thinking about procs.
You need to explain why you agree that proc rates and miss rates work the same, but somehow don't understand how the Ionat damage table works in terms of getting average damage. That is the actual damage table for Ionat on p99, with the actual miss rate, and log data that backs up the expected average.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-30-2024 at 04:07 AM..
Old 01-30-2024, 07:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Lets try again. You agree that a weapon proc can only proc on a swing of the weapon, right?
Little tangent here which is irrelevant to the discussed scenario, but does answer the question above out of context: no. The off hand (so again not relevant to shaman) can proc when it’s delay timer elapses, even when dual wield fails to produce a swing. It doesn’t work this way on other servers but it does make procing weapons desirable in off hand at low dual wield skill (you end up scoring a high number of procs/swing due to number of swings being so low with offhand).

Again not relevant to the discussion, but relevant to the question, again my apologies. Just thought it was tangentially interesting to mention as an aside.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-30-2024, 09:44 AM
Planar Protector

talk about splitting ball hairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.