Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 01-30-2024, 02:19 AM
Sarnak

Lets try again. You agree that a weapon proc can only proc on a swing of the weapon, right?
Old 01-30-2024, 02:31 AM
Planar Protector

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lets try again. You agree that a weapon proc can only proc on a swing of the weapon, right?
I will not reply until you address my previous post https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=620 .
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-30-2024 at 02:36 AM..
Old 01-30-2024, 02:40 AM
Sarnak

You're not giving me a chance to explain myself. Please bear with me and let me explain how I go about this calculation. This explanation is how I'm responding to what you just posted.

A weapon proc can only proc on a swing of a weapon. When you swing a weapon with a proc, there is some percent chance that it results in a proc. This is where the explanation starts, and so we need to be in agreement on this.
Old 01-30-2024, 02:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're not giving me a chance to explain myself. Please bear with me and let me explain how I go about this calculation. This explanation is how I'm responding to what you just posted.

A weapon proc can only proc on a swing of a weapon. When you swing a weapon with a proc, there is some percent chance that it results in a proc. This is where the explanation starts, and so we need to be in agreement on this.
Please directly respond to the content of this message: https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...&postcount=620

I will not continue stringing messages along for whatever reason you are doing this.
Old 01-30-2024, 02:53 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can do the same thing for proc damage. For example, let's assume you have 1 PPM on a weapon that procs for 400 Direct Damage, and the fight lasts 60 seconds:
The precise difference between the calculation we're doing and this example calculation is that here you are using a DD proc. When instead the proc is a dot, this approach does not work. I'm trying to explain to you why this approach does not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because Procs Per minute work on the minute scale, proccing a weapon is basically just selecting a random tick within a minute of the fight to get a proc, because the percentage of triggering the proc is equal per swing.
This is not the best way to understand how procs work. The way to understanding starts with the fact that a proc can only fire when you swing a weapon, and that when you make a single swing, there is a percentage chance that the proc fires.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
The precise difference between the calculation we're doing and this example calculation is that here you are using a DD proc. When instead the proc is a dot, this approach does not work. I'm trying to explain to you why this approach does not work.
You didn't read the bottom, which explains DoT procs. Please read the entire post first.

You need to understand how the Ionat damage table compares to the DoT table.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:10 AM
Sarnak

There's a difference between using Ionat damage table data and DoT calculations. The way to understanding starts with the fact that a proc can only fire when you swing a weapon, and that when you make a single swing, there is a percentage chance that the proc fires.

I am trying to explain that difference, but we need to start from a point of common understanding, and go along point by point to ensure we're on the same page at each step of the calculation.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
There's a difference between using Ionat damage table data and DoT calculations. The way to understanding starts with the fact that a proc can only fire when you swing a weapon, and that when you make a single swing, there is a percentage chance that the proc fires.

I am trying to explain that difference, but we need to start from a point of common understanding, and go along point by point to ensure we're on the same page at each step of the calculation.
This is the problem. You don't understand that miss rate and proc rate work the same.

If you can swing 20 times per minute, you hit 10/20 times. If you turn auto attack off for 30 seconds, you hit 5/20 times. The same logic applies if you can swing 100 times per minute instead. You'll hit 50/100 times, 25/100 if you turn auto attack off for 30 seconds.

Procs per minute work the same, just using a smaller number. If you swing 20 times per minute and have 1 PPM, you get 1 proc per minute. If you turn off auto attack for 30 seconds, you get 0.5 procs per minute. The same logic applies if you can swing 100 times instead. You'll proc 1 time per minute if you swing 100 times, or proc 0.5 times if you turn off auto attack for 30 seconds.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-30-2024 at 03:30 AM..
Old 01-30-2024, 03:30 AM
Sarnak

But you do understand that a weapon proc can only fire when you swing the weapon, and that there is some percentage to fire on a single swing?

The basic mechanic starts with a percentage to fire on a single swing. The procs per minute is calculated from the basic mechanic, which is that every swing has some chance to fire a proc.
Old 01-30-2024, 03:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
But you do understand that a weapon proc can only fire when you swing the weapon, and that there is some percentage to fire on a single swing?
Do you agree that miss rate and proc rate work the same?