Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 01-11-2023, 09:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
True, a ranger WS bumping AoW during a tank transition is no big deal. Often people just use a SK with Leechcurse instead.

In fact those attack buffs are pretty non OP too. Every rogue has 65 extra attack power because at least one raider ignored everyone telling them their class sucked for 59 levels.
You cherry picked the 1 target where clean tank swaps are the most important of a successful kill (outside of having enough clerics).

Not saying ranger speedbumps aren't important to have - they are, but for that same AoW would you rather have 5 rangers and 1 druid (prob cant charm due to potg requests) or 5 druids w/ snared wolf pets and 1 ranger (just get the poor bastard some twitches before the pull and he can full buff the entire raid).

Just playin devil's advocate here. Obviously in the real world you're gonna have tons of rangers and druids because people refuse to log on cleric bots in 2023.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's a reason rangers got huge buffs in luclin and PoP, finally boosting their archery. Because up til then they are bad warriors or bad rogues. WS sure ! might as well have that player level a warrior and use a riposte discipline or defense and live just as long if not longer no ?

If you're arguing a BIS ranger can do this or that, what about him being a different class with BIS stuff ? couldn't he be a monk and do the same ?
A ranger can build build aggro quicker with flame lick than almost any other class and their parry disc lasts 2.5 times longer than a warrior or monk. Having a 60 warrior blow their disc CD for 9 seconds of riposte is stupid. Monks frequently bump but it’s easier with rooted targets since they just have to be in range. Anything that moves will chase aggro rank so they would need to dump an entire scepter of the forlorn into the target (equiv to a couple flamelicks).

My argument is a 60 ranger with no gear at all can bump better than any other class every 72 minutes. If you never lose a MT that’s great, you don’t need a bump. A ranger still provides a lot of attack power to a raid. Some would argue you only need one ranger to get this benefit but often with a large guild even one 60 ranger in attendance is a coin flip.

Plus this whole thread assumes someone only had one class they main. It’s not 1999 anymore. I play a ranger for when it’s in the area or can provide a real benefit. When not, I play one of my other four 60’s or a raid bot.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You cherry picked the 1 target where clean tank swaps are the most important of a successful kill (outside of having enough clerics).

Not saying ranger speedbumps aren't important to have - they are, but for that same AoW would you rather have 5 rangers and 1 druid (prob cant charm due to potg requests) or 5 druids w/ snared wolf pets and 1 ranger (just get the poor bastard some twitches before the pull and he can full buff the entire raid).

Just playin devil's advocate here. Obviously in the real world you're gonna have tons of rangers and druids because people refuse to log on cleric bots in 2023.
Cherry picking is the point of EQ, lol.

Bumps are good non-stall, stalls though. Lose a couple rangers on a rooted dragon you buy 40 seconds for the real engage team. A ranger can also peel off a flurry and tank it without heals. Or help with a preslow on certain targets.

In my experience the more extensive a classes skill/spell kit the more varied the results. A good rogue does amazing damage, a bad one does less but still competes. Whether lack of gear or just not positioning quickly. Rangers, druids, bards, necros, enchanters and so on…can be inspiring or horrible. I’ve seen AoW’s with an excess of SK’s and druids. The wolves spent more time attacking players than the AoW. The SK’s were having issues peeling and helping the druids.

In that specific AoW we killed it but needed a second shot. I bumped the first time and was just a melee the second. I did like 14k damage and died at 20% which still wasn’t bad for swinging normal ToV weaps.
Old 01-11-2023, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepido [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's a reason rangers got huge buffs in luclin and PoP, finally boosting their archery.
So on P99, Rangers are permanently bugged. They can't and never will be able to use a bow properly. On P99, they will always be incomplete and broken.

Being bugged/broken is classic?
Old 01-11-2023, 02:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So on P99, Rangers are permanently bugged. They can't and never will be able to use a bow properly. On P99, they will always be incomplete and broken.

Being bugged/broken is classic?
Please explain what you mean and I can explain how you are wrong.

Yea no AM3 or EQ AA's. We know this.
Old 01-11-2023, 02:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please explain what you mean and I can explain how you are wrong.
Okay, try and keep up. I will talk S L O W L Y.

1. Rangers being outdoor hunters are supposed to be experts with bows that's why their inventory screen has a bow and quiver graphic. With me so far?

2. On P99, Rangers aren't experts with bows and they never will be so a Ranger on P99 is like a Rogue without BS.

Explain how I'm wrong.
Last edited by Gugg; 01-11-2023 at 02:53 PM..
Old 01-11-2023, 03:01 PM
Sarnak

You're not wrong, just an asshole lol
Old 01-11-2023, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gugg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Okay, try and keep up. I will talk S L O W L Y.

1. Rangers being outdoor hunters are supposed to be experts with bows that's why their inventory screen has a bow and quiver graphic. With me so far?
(this isnt a point or a question...sure, I guess)

2. On P99, Rangers aren't experts with bows and they never will be so a Ranger on P99 is like a Rogue without BS.
(this is vague and doesnt advance your point. I've killed Lucan 30 times with my bow solo, a rogue cant.)

Explain how I'm wrong.
I've played a ranger here for a decade. I'm trying to help.
Is your point bow damage doesnt out dps rogues? If so, congrats.
Last edited by Snaggles; 01-11-2023 at 03:17 PM..
Old 01-11-2023, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wait, I keep seeing people say Knights out DPS rangers at endgame? What?
Context is important...
Old 01-11-2023, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is your point bow damage doesnt out dps rogues? If so, congrats.
No, my point is that a Ranger on P99 isn't a Ranger.

Just like if a Rogue didn't have BS he wouldn't be a Rogue.