Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 07-29-2022, 09:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kyoto - tokyo by air:
Jetstar
1h 25m
Nonstop
from $38
You're both cherry-picking and comparing apples to oranges there: fruity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You can take the 新幹線 to all sorts of places a plane won't take you, and it's awesome. The Japanese are leading the world in mass transit, plus their whole society is organized around it: it's hard to appreciate trains here when you don't get to see how awesome they are for daily life in places like Japan.

But honestly, otherwise, this is a rare thread where I mostly agree with you Jib: I live in California, and the whole the high-speed rail scheme was a scam from the beginning.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiwa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let's go back a sec. What makes either train itself, without cargo, heavier?

Why would a train designed to carry, as you say "several dozen passengers" weigh over double that of a train designed to carry freight by the tonnes?

I have to think you are arguing in bad faith, because you cannot actually be this stupid.
Don't believe me, why don't you look it up yourself? Yes, passenger equipment in the U.S. is absurdly heavy for what it carries due to a combination of factors. Partly it's because humans are low-density cargo, people like space, and space means weight. Partly it's crash regulations, your passenger coach has to hold together and not telescope if it comes off the rails at 120 MPH, nobody much cares if a coal hopper tears apart when it tips over at 30 MPH. It is possible to achieve some degree of weight reduction by use of composite materials and less stringent crash resistances, as done by some of the very high-speed trainsets used in other nations, but passenger equipment is always going to be very heavy for what it hauls due to the nature of the business.

Danth
Old 07-29-2022, 09:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't believe me, why don't you look it up yourself? Yes, passenger equipment in the U.S. is absurdly heavy for what it carries due to a combination of factors. Partly it's because humans are low-density cargo, people like space, and space means weight. Partly it's crash regulations, your passenger coach has to hold together and not telescope if it comes off the rails at 120 MPH, nobody much cares if a coal hopper tears apart when it tips over at 30 MPH. It is possible to achieve some degree of weight reduction by use of composite materials and less stringent crash resistances, as done by some of the very high-speed trainsets used in other nations, but passenger equipment is always going to be very heavy for what it hauls due to the nature of the business.

Danth
I'm not gonna look it up cuz you made it up, don't waste my time. Passenger trains are lighter than freight trains and that's that, mister. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I will pray for you to Torquemada
Old 07-29-2022, 09:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
You're both cherry-picking and comparing apples to oranges there: fruity
No I gogled "most traveled high speed rail in japan" and that is kyoto to tokyo

Then I checked ticket price of kyoto to tokyo

and then I did "flight from Kyoto to toyko.

I picked the top result from both of those searches.

So dont assume! you know the saying: Fruity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
But honestly, otherwise, this is a rare thread where I mostly agree with you Jib: I live in California, and the whole the high-speed rail scheme was a scam from the beginning.
Yeah, Id love to be a type 2 civilization but we're just not there yet.

The only reasons we have goverment paid roads is because the ultra wealthy democrats that left the south after the civil war to head west during the agriboom wanted free roads because it was too costly for them to make them connect their farms and the stores themselves.

That's when the democrat party became the BIG goverment party (that it wasn't when it tried to succeed from the union during the civil war.)

Because the american system works this way, we can get those trains if like we had no GAS - and we "had to come up wth a way to get workers to work" but while we have a cheeper alternative, we wont be able to get it in the USA full stop. Especially after California proved that no amount of wealth and progressives can push that ball forward.
Last edited by Jibartik; 07-29-2022 at 09:54 PM..
Old 07-29-2022, 09:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgiaquest [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I thought we were talking about countries with high speed rail. I can’t keep up with how fast you shift the goal posts.

You’ve gone full Ooloo at this point. Never go full Ooloo.

Edit: BRO
You know what people mean when they say "I thought?"

Besides, you cant say taking a 5 hour train in the morning from London to Paris for business and then another 5 hour train ride on the way home beats taking a 1 hour flight for less, is better without being wrong.

Quote:
I’m guessing you have some menial desk job and have never been on a business trip.
Well you're a stupid jerk to guses that but thanks for revealing you think trying to say someone who has a menial desk job is a shit person, or doesnt deserve to have an opinion compared to yours (asshole mentality)

Top ten carreers taht require travel:

Travel nurse.
Archaeologist. ...
Athletic scout. ...
Management consultant. ...
Event coordinator. ...
Flight attendant. ...
Travel agent. ...
Geoscientist.

Now: explain to me how taking a train from london to paris - is going to fufill any those jobs?

You said: trains are better because they drop you off at a central location - maybe next to your hotel.

you said, trains are better if you have to check a bag.

So your argument for trains, literally is: You can walk your bag so large you have to check it from the train station to your hotel - arguign that is somehow better than a 10-25 dollar uber ride? FOR BUISNESSS!?!?!?!?!

Like you're going to lug a bag SO BIG you cant even comprehend how you can bring it on carryon, for your job, and you're gonna drag that shit through the train station and street - because you dont want to pay for an uber?

Dude youre telling me that you think I travel less for buisness, and thats the line you're trying to sell me?

Come on man.

Another majkor problem with euro travel on train (you shoudl know this) is that the train stations are not as "perfectly placed" as you seemed to imply they were (next to my hotel)

Train stations and transfers is a HUGE issue in europe, and they are currently COMPLETELY trying to redo the entire system, becuase the current one works so poorly.

Cmon man!

I woke up at 6 1-3 days a week for 4 years, flew 500 miles, a car picked me up, and at the end of the dropped me back off at the airport, and I flew 500 miles back and had dinner at home.

The idea that you think that id rather do that on a train for 10 hours a trip because I can check a bag is laughable. Those flights were 35 minuets, and door to door 1 hour and 10. I had it down to a science (wake up get dressed go to work).
Last edited by Jibartik; 07-29-2022 at 10:12 PM..
Old 07-29-2022, 10:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're both cherry-picking and comparing apples to oranges there: fruity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You can take the 新幹線 to all sorts of places a plane won't take you, and it's awesome. The Japanese are leading the world in mass transit, plus their whole society is organized around it: it's hard to appreciate trains here when you don't get to see how awesome they are for daily life in places like Japan.

Only a scam because cali does let you build anything if it harms a turtle or a fruitfly

The Japanese are smart, we are not. Cali, Texas, the east coast are easily population dense enough for rail to be a good idea

Doesn’t matter, stop subsidizing airlines and we’ll see what happens
Old 07-29-2022, 10:22 PM
Planar Protector

I personally dislike planes. And almost all of the people on them.

I wish we used blimps. Had population limits. And we could sit at a table and have a private bunk during our voyage.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:25 PM
Planar Protector

Train, PRO:

- No snakes on trains

- Cant drive train into two towers

- free bug protein bar with every ride

Quote:
Doesn’t matter, stop subsidizing airlines and we’ll see what happens
Cheaper airline tickets - TSA abolished - trains still a pipedream.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You know what people mean when they say "I thought?"

Besides, you cant say taking a 5 hour train in the morning from London to Paris for business and then another 5 hour train ride on the way home beats taking a 1 hour flight for less, is better without being wrong.
Well you're a stupid jerk I already said the English Channel. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-29-2022, 10:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiwa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well you're a stupid jerk I already said the English Channel. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The rich take planes to get coffee in LA and you guys are going to spend the rest of your life saying trains are better.

This is why nobody likes communists.