Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Old 03-09-2022, 12:22 PM
Kobold

I almost never felt like people were cheating, because I never felt like anyone had an advantage over me.

There was that one guy from Nihilum who got multiple epic /aon level 60s banned who was pretty sus but maybe I got caught up in the hype. He did get 2 60 rogues and a 60 sk permanently banned before I got a single character to level 60 though.

Then there was 1 rogue from the guild casual scum who I am 99% sure cheated though. He stuck to me like glue through the small doors and bars in Thurgadin but the funniest part is he wouldn't move around to backstab me just stuck like an NPC + he killed himself on a 55 point damage shield with his 12 damage auto attacks. He also ended up perma banned.

That's it though. I've never felt like anyone else cheated even all the turbo nerds running 3rd party programs to script shield swaps or give audio alerts for disc's or spell timers. Didn't matter at all still got dumpstered.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I almost never felt like people were cheating, because I never felt like anyone had an advantage over me.

There was that one guy from Nihilum who got multiple epic /aon level 60s banned who was pretty sus but maybe I got caught up in the hype. He did get 2 60 rogues and a 60 sk permanently banned before I got a single character to level 60 though.

Then there was 1 rogue from the guild casual scum who I am 99% sure cheated though. He stuck to me like glue through the small doors and bars in Thurgadin but the funniest part is he wouldn't move around to backstab me just stuck like an NPC + he killed himself on a 55 point damage shield with his 12 damage auto attacks. He also ended up perma banned.

That's it though. I've never felt like anyone else cheated even all the turbo nerds running 3rd party programs to script shield swaps or give audio alerts for disc's or spell timers. Didn't matter at all still got dumpstered.
Thats something i know alot less about, cheating. But i get a sense that the personalities fit the profile of people who would cheat.

Who the fuck gets enjoyment from destroying the server they play on? Thats so fucking stupid. I could never enjoy a kill using an aimbot or some shit like that and doing that more than once just to see how the hacks work would weight on my conscience that im ruining everyones fun.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:42 PM
Banned

Hardly anyone rly cheated on red.

It was, and is nothing like green and blue where people even deceive themselves!
Old 03-09-2022, 02:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Most people could watch someone using cheats and have no clue, and there is this idea that someone using cheats is gonna auto win so if they die they weren't using cheats, this is also false.

Show Eq is just gonna give you a loose idea of who is in what zone and tell you which mobs are up. Ever see a guy zone in right as the AC came up, yea showEQ. Or someone find people in the middle of nowhere over and over again. A shit ton of people were using showEQ on red and prolly still are because it's very hard to detect.

MQ on the other hand gives you access to the GM/Guide commands that were hardcoded into the game. Some of the MQ uses are very obvious like player invulnerability and super speed, others are not. A caster could turn off melee knockback effects and be almost impossible to interrupt and you would have no clue or a melee could be stalking you with PC invis and you would have no clue.

I have killed tons of players while using MQ, it has flaws and they can't use invulnerability without really risking being caught. I killed Kirban and Fansy on live while they was using MQ, quite a few times. Killed HPT while using it on red and watched players find me hidden in the middle of nowhere without a tracker more times than I can count. I can list 20 players using showEQ on there and there is 20 more I suspect and at least 15 that I highly suspected of MQ use.

Bottom-line is most players would have no clue when a cheat is being used right in front of them so they assume no one is, but tons of players are actually cheating, so much more than you ever imagined. For every cheating player caught 10 more got away with it, and if you see a GM catch someone using MQ and only one person was banned you best believe he gave out that compile to his friends.
Last edited by New_Guy; 03-09-2022 at 02:26 PM..
Old 03-09-2022, 02:20 PM
Kobold

Well I guess it didn't matter that they cheated then because in the end it didn't make a difference I still won ALL the time
Old 03-09-2022, 02:57 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Well I guess it didn't matter that they cheated then because in the end it didn't make a difference I still won ALL the time
Oh no it mattered, because the world doesn't revolve around one person you selfish little shit.

While a skilled PvPer could still defeat someone using cheats or escape a well timed ambush there are tons of players who won't. That player is gonna get items they shouldn't have gotten, stealing them from another player who would have earned them.

Even a terrible player using showEq is gonna blow up the leaderboards as they will KNOW where other players are and finding other people is often the hardest part of pvp. It will also allow big guilds to push the timers on NPCs as they will know exactly when every mob is up.

All these little things add up more and more, chipping away at the population until you are left with just a small amount of cheaters.
Old 03-09-2022, 03:46 PM
Planar Protector

Hey I know lets all agree cheating is bad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:14 PM
Sarnak

Logged in yesterday just to check if my toon was still there. I got taken aback when I realized the char creation was 2012. 10 years, crazy - while I appreciate Rogean's intent to ensure nobody lost their progress, the players that populated red don't really care because the server is dead and they would trade all their pixels for a new box ran by p99 in a heartbeat.

I ported and ran around to see if I could find anyone to kill.. I have more memories from red than I do from live -- it was nice to reminisce about all those KC/DL/EJ/TT battles -- the race to 60, OOT seafury farming before Kunark etc. Velious killed the box.

I will say if a reset or a new server hasn't happened in 10 years, it probably won't.. and while I miss EQ PvP for some of the aforementioned reasons in this thread, I just don't care enough to play in a garage box with bad code. Maybe one day they'll be an announcement. It's so weird too because starting a new server must be such minimal effort for them. Oh well!
Rushx the Warlock - R99
Old 03-09-2022, 04:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrilla [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Logged in yesterday just to check if my toon was still there. I got taken aback when I realized the char creation was 2012. 10 years, crazy - while I appreciate Rogean's intent to ensure nobody lost their progress, the players that populated red don't really care because the server is dead and they would trade all their pixels for a new box ran by p99 in a heartbeat.

I ported and ran around to see if I could find anyone to kill.. I have more memories from red than I do from live -- it was nice to reminisce about all those KC/DL/EJ/TT battles -- the race to 60, OOT seafury farming before Kunark etc. Velious killed the box.

I will say if a reset or a new server hasn't happened in 10 years, it probably won't.. and while I miss EQ PvP for some of the aforementioned reasons in this thread, I just don't care enough to play in a garage box with bad code. Maybe one day they'll be an announcement. It's so weird too because starting a new server must be such minimal effort for them. Oh well!
Ya... See you here next week still begging.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrilla [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Thats what i mean by treating the community poorly. Why cant they just pop in the thread and say either one of those 3 things:

"Were sorry to have given you hope, for reason X it will not happen"

"Were still working on it, we got delayed and cant give you a fixed timeline sorry"

"Its coming, in x months we are close to finishing it"

They cant complain were being bitter after doing this sort of stuff