Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weltmacht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Okay so you're trying to root a mob. Your spell is interrupted. You take another round of combat damage. P.S. it's going to be more than a tick of troll regen.
Are ogres immune to interrupts or just stun?
Old 10-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Planar Protector

Ogres only are immune to interrupts via a bash.

Interrupts via push, spell stuns, GFluxes, etc.... Will interrupt you.

Many times, it's push interrupting you, not a bash. Even with your back against a wall or in a corner.

I know the majority of the times I'm interrupted its on a long cast spell from push regardless of whether my back is in a corner or on a wall.

Bash interrupts are the only one that will cancel a spell immediately. The rest your spell will complete casting them say it was interrupted. So whenever you notice an immediate cancelled spell, it's because of a bash interrupt. It really isn't that frequent. Especially once you get slow on a mob. Then they bash what, every 15-30 seconds and often times miss that bash.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Kobold

Oh I have been bashed all the time, and sometimes stunned by those bashes. I had always thought that ogres were still interrupted by bash they just were immune to the occasional stun from it. This is partially why I prefer trolls so heavily over ogres (that and appearance), but now I may have to reassess if they are completely immune to interrupts from bashes.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weltmacht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty frightening that it's going to take an ogre to explain math to the peasant races, but wowzers the lesser races among us have really fallen behind.

Okay so you're trying to root a mob. Your spell is interrupted. You take another round of combat damage. P.S. it's going to be more than a tick of troll regen.

Multiply that by any number of additional mobs--breaking camps, double/triple+ spawns, etc. Why does this even need to be explained; how far gone is the rest of norrath?
You're talking about a failed scenario. A one in 20. Unless that happens to you every fight. In which case your playing Eq wrong.
Last edited by iruinedyourday; 10-03-2014 at 12:46 PM..
Old 10-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Aviak

Playing eq wrong is playing a non-ogre. The cool thing is that we can post so ocassionally about how wrong you are with utter, unadulturated correctitude while you froth at the keyboard in a vain attempt to persuade others (and, likely, yourself) that 2+2 does not, in fact, equal four.

Logic might pity you, but the master race of norrath has nary a scruple.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Playing eq wrong is playing a non-ogre. The cool thing is that we can post so ocassionally about how wrong you are with utter, unadulturated correctitude while you froth at the keyboard in a vain attempt to persuade others (and, likely, yourself) that 2+2 does not, in fact, equal four.

Logic might pity you, but the master race of norrath has nary a scruple.
Chill dude, no need to attack someone for pointing out the obvious. Stop dying when you try to solo and maybe roll a less single player focused class. Try a rogue or something. You might find it more suitable to your play style.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Kobold

Someone may have touched on this (I haven't read all six pages), but I think the biggest thing to consider is that Ogre FSI is effective starting at Level 1 whereas troll/iksar regen doesn't really start to shine until 55+.

For a lot of people, level 1-55 is going to be the major part of their journey. Even at 56-60, I would guess a large fraction of shamans in this range aren't even doing anything difficult enough that any racial bonus is going to play a major role. I know for one if I'm planning on taking down a mob where 2 ticks of regen or a couple stun resists is going to make or break it, I will just bring a friend to help.

I get that this debate has some relevance to an end-game level 60 min/max discussion, but I think y'all are missing the bigger picture outside of that scenario.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenuven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I get that this debate has some relevance to an end-game level 60 min/max discussion, but I think y'all are missing the bigger picture outside of that scenario.
Yes! Everyone likes to think that they're going to get to level 60, get Torpor, and then play that character for years after. In reality, a lot will quit before they reach level 50, a lot more before they reach level 60, and still more before they get torpor, ... and even among the ones that do get all that, most are not going to play that character forever, they're going to switch to alts or quit.

So, for most shaman the majority of their Everquest lives is going to be spent pre-60/pre-torpor, and thus Barbarian is arguably the best choice, as being several levels higher is kinda better than the other racial powers (if a 45 toll duels a 50 barbarian, guess who will win?). Also it means not having to spend time working on FV faction, or missing out on tons of good Kunark dungeons.

Troll/Iksar are certainly the next best choice, because they're going to spend the vast, vast majority of their EQ life without Torpor, so regen will be helpful. The ogre's frontal stun immunity just isn't that great leveling up. But at level 60, with Torpor, and especially once Velious comes out, FSI is useful, and you just can't get it any other way, while the Barbarian XP "bonus" and the Troll/Iksar regen have stopped being relevant.

So, at the end of the day it comes down to this: for maximum end-game power, it's Ogre, then Troll/Iksar, then Barbarian. For people who won't play to the maximum end-point, it's the opposite: Barbarian, Troll/Iksar, Ogre.

And since no one can predict how long they will actually play their toon, IMHO the only logical way to pick a race is to just go with what appeals to you.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:12 PM
Kobold

The way I look at it 95%+ of the time the mob im fighting is not summoning, Im rarely ever getting hit by melee once my camp is established, most camps Im at or farming I have 2+ mobs rooted, more then likely ones a caster and casting a dot on me. I dont remember 1 time that getting stunned resulted in my death while casting gate or torpor, play the class that you enjoy but I think regen is very under estimated at 60.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:17 PM
Fire Giant

Everything about this thread is why I read the forums.