Old 06-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor...First_district

1st district - Tim Bishop College of the Holy Cross, Long Island University
4th district - Carloyn Mcarthy Glen Cove Nursing School
5th District - Gregorgy Meeks Adelphi University, Howard University
6th District - Grace Meng University of Michigan
Cardozo School of Law
11th district - Micheal Grimm Baruch College (B.B.A.)
New York Law School (J.D.

I could go on and on.

About 70% of New York States Politicians are from state schools or little known universitys. Sure you have a sprinkling of ivy league in there but the majority of them are normal blue-blooded schools. If you look at a state like Ohio or Florida then 90% of the politicians are from local schools. Have a look for yourself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yor...First_district
Old 06-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuyAmes
Job Outlook
Employment of lawyers is expected to grow by 10 percent from 2010 to 2020, about as fast as the average for all occupations. Competition for jobs should continue to be strong because more students are graduating from law school each year than there are jobs available.

There was always fierce competition between lawyers for jobs but the field is expected to grow just as steadily as most other jobs in America. People also fail to realize that when you graduate with a J.D you have more options then just practicing law. You can become a legal professor, Legal Consultant, Public Administration, Public Servant (look at how many politicians are lawyers) etc.

you live in the state with the #1 worst amount of surplus lawyers in the country by far

"The Lawyer Surplus, State by State"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New York Times
New York:

Estimated Annual Openings for Lawyer Jobs for 2010-15: 2,100
2009 Bar Exam Passers: 9,787
2009 Completers (IPEDS): 4,771
Annual Number of Surplus Lawyers: 7,687
too bad they don't teach you basic arithmetic, there are literally 0 jobs for the 100,000s of ames' of the world who will graduate in this decade

i wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors in unemployment
Last edited by Stinkum; 06-28-2013 at 04:27 PM..
Old 06-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Banned

go to school to learn

apply for jobs to get employed

if you try to do it any other way you're just gonna stress urself out

imho
Old 06-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Banned

o, and change ur fucking binds
Old 06-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something'Witty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya, because quantitative > qualitative right?

Oh and post modernism = total BS!

P.S. The above statements do not reflect the views of the author, but are merely an attempt to troll philosophy / social science majors!
We should strive for balance in all things [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I detest "Light and airy" philosophy. This is what gives the major a bad name. I went to a school with an awesome phil program and thought this must be the standard of actual college philosophy. Then my brother at another school described a "philosophy" course he took where the teacher literally sometimes put on a video/movie. I was appalled.
Media like that should always be suggested as supplemental material, I agree. And why would it matter if the major was given a bad name? The old white men had their chance, and all they did was make the subject matter as dull as humanly possibly while still maintaining a a consistent level of intellectual masturbation. If all we're going to do is masturbate and debate smugly, why can't we travel into the realm of light-hearted nonsense?

And don't tell me that we need to keep some things in the objective realm to even express ideas with any meaning, because I'm perfectly happy not talking to any of you and exploring the nature of value all by myself [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Red99
Old 06-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Planar Protector

Hawkins already made philosophy obsolete sry
Old 06-28-2013, 04:31 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuyAmes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Professors who teach at top schools are from top schools. 70% of the lawyers who practice don't go to a top ten school. My uncle is a patent lawyer and he went to Albany Law School (state college) and makes more money then you or I could even fathom. Not everyone goes to Yale Or Harvard my friend and if you pass the BAR exam in New York state, California or Texas then you are an intelligent person no matter which school you went to. My civil procedures professor went to CUNY College then CUNY School of Law and was able to retire when she was 50 years old. She was a managing partner at a law firm and teaches part time just to keep her mind busy but owns a house in the hamptons and a really nice pad in the upper east or west side (cant remember).

Yea sure its nice to have that Harvard School Of Law on your resume but just because the person had the money to go to that school does not make them a more competent lawyer then the guy who went to a state school. In some places in the midwest they even prefer a local kid then someone who went off to a hoity toity university. If you are a hard worker and have a go getter attitude then you will do absolutely fine in your field.
I don't disagree that anyone can succeed. That's quite clear in many cases. For example, the former Dean of Houston went to a 4th tier school, but he's widely considered to have been very successful. Many lower tier schools have success stories, and I've never denied that. In face, I quite agree with you that success can be found in any situation.

However, the question is about playing the numbers. It's about intelligent decision making in light of the probabilities. Unless you have a specific plan that you've carefully weighed, it, generally speaking, is a less-than-good idea to go to a lower ranked school.

It's like saying that a lot of billionaires are dropouts. This is true, but they succeeded in spite of that. At best, a lower tier school won't hurt, but a higher tier school CAN make a world of difference. Without a specific circumstance to tell you otherwise (like a very well thought out career plan), it doesn't make much financial sense to go to a poorly ranked school.

I agree that the individual will get out of something equivalent to what they put in. However, the question is about the wisdom of attending a lower ranked school as a general matter. From a decision theory standpoint, its not unless you have a mitigating factor (scholarship, regionally dominant school, etc.)
Old 06-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Banned

Those numbers are slightly inflated because they count total bar exams passed in New York State (your able to practice in 3-4 other states with your N.Y Bar License) so not everyone actually ends up working here. My degree is a dual pre-law/paralegal studies so that I will be able to get a job working at a corporate law firm that requires you have a bachelors degree (which most paraglegals don't). It's a great thing to fall back on because just a quick search of mean paralegal salary in NYC shows that its a great career to start in. My plan is to do law school at night while I'm working at my uncle's law firm as a paralegal. Again, the competition is fierce but not many jobs start you out at 100k+.

Jobs are competive in 2013 no matter what you plan on doing. Unless its physical labor then expect to have a bit of a hard time finding something right away. One just has to look at say I.T statistics and realize its pretty much nation wide.

Job Outlook
Employment of computer programmers is expected to increase 12 percent from 2010 to 2020, about as fast as the average for all occupations. Since computer programming can be done from anywhere in the world, companies often hire programmers in countries that have lower wages.

P.S I'm genuinely curious as to what your profession is Stinkum?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors in unemployment
I didn't know Elie Mystal played P99

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Quote:
Those numbers are slightly inflated because they count total bar exams passed in New York State
Those numbers aren't quite as scary if you're not pursuing Biglaw in NY which is a total meat grinder and you already have connections. In my opinion, California is the bigger problem because of how many unaccredited law schools they have there. Those graduates can ONLY take the California bar and they can ONLY practice in that state. They're putting out 2X as many graduates in California as there are projected openings and roughly 1/2 of those graduates are from unaccredited schools. Yeah, it's gonna be a student loan fueled hilarity bomb of sadness and angry baristas.
Last edited by Frieza_Prexus; 06-28-2013 at 04:40 PM..
Old 06-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Planar Protector

Newsflash, getting a job in Law is much like getting a job in ANY field nowadays, the people who know people will always fare better than the people who don't. /thread