Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 02-04-2022, 05:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardp1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monks are fucking TERRIBLE tanks until high lvl or fungi

Source: My first character on the server was a monk that i lvled to 60 untwinked
You are correct. Monks take more gear to get going in the tankiness department, and generally monks are more expensive to twink.

But if we are using that argument, no tank is going to be spectacular in garbage gear, at least not until high levels with discs and good scaling on stats like STA.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:20 PM
Fire Giant

So I am a warrior, monk and SK, so let me clear some of this misinformation up.

The idea that warriors and monks are just _better_ group tanks because of doing more DPS is silly. The ench is doing 90+% of the dps. We're talking losing 3% dps maybe, while gaining snare, multiple fd's, shadow vortex, disease cloud, fear, etc.

Warriors and monks are better for raiding mainly because of discs. Disciplines are just broken for high end content where mobs hit for 500+. For grouping exp content on the other hand, SKs are just better tanks AND pullers.

For tanking, shadow vortex and disease cloud allow mobs to be tashed and slowed faster, prevent a badly timed charm break or resist from murdering your enchanter, etc. It's easy to say, "the enchanter and cleric can manage aggro with root and mez", but in my 10 years on this server, that fails 50% of the time, because someone isn't on top of it, or there is just very bad timing and/or rng. Having the tank be able to take some of the load off for aggro management is huge.

For pulling exp content on an SK, you just snare, FD, and you get a single mob. FD fails? Use a different FD. On a monk you tag, you wait, you stand flop, you wait for resets, etc. It's a whole thing. Very doable, but the SK/Necro split technique is just so easy and safe.

Labeling SKs as a weak raiding class is legitimate. It is hard and frankly unnecessary to pull off, but I've seen it done nonetheless.

I continue to suggest Warrior, as it opens up raiding and and tanking epic fights, etc. But SK is fun and valuable for group content.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I am a warrior, monk and SK, so let me clear some of this misinformation up.

The idea that warriors and monks are just _better_ group tanks because of doing more DPS is silly. The ench is doing 90+% of the dps. We're talking losing 3% dps maybe, while gaining snare, multiple fd's, shadow vortex, disease cloud, fear, etc.

Warriors and monks are better for raiding mainly because of discs. Disciplines are just broken for high end content where mobs hit for 500+. For grouping exp content on the other hand, SKs are just better tanks AND pullers.

For tanking, shadow vortex and disease cloud allow mobs to be tashed and slowed faster, prevent a badly timed charm break or resist from murdering your enchanter, etc. It's easy to say, "the enchanter and cleric can manage aggro with root and mez", but in my 10 years on this server, that fails 50% of the time, because someone isn't on top of it, or there is just very bad timing and/or rng. Having the tank be able to take some of the load off for aggro management is huge.

For pulling exp content on an SK, you just snare, FD, and you get a single mob. FD fails? Use a different FD. On a monk you tag, you wait, you stand flop, you wait for resets, etc. It's a whole thing. Very doable, but the SK/Necro split technique is just so easy and safe.

Labeling SKs as a weak raiding class is legitimate. It is hard and frankly unnecessary to pull off, but I've seen it done nonetheless.

I continue to suggest Warrior, as it opens up raiding and and tanking epic fights, etc. But SK is fun and valuable for group content.
This guy gets it.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No evidence given, and the logic here doesn't prove your point that Warriors are always better. You are basically just saying Warriors are better in specific end game scenarios, which everyone here agrees upon. You are throwing out a huge chunk of the game by dismissing leveling lol. And as for Monks, OP is asking about SK vs. Warrior. It doesn't sound like OP wants to roll Monk. Since he is in a static, SK works just fine for Fungi Tunic camp.
What kind of evidence would you like? shall I go record a pug with no tank? You are the one that keeps repeating wars are better end game, not me, but I agree. Leveling is almost the best place for a warrior to outperform an sk, especially in a trio. An ench/cleric/tank trio with the same players will level faster with a warrior over an sk or a monk if they are competent and they will have access to more difficult camps. No I will not parse or play 3 tanks to 60 one-thousand times each to supply you with evidence you moron. The reason monk is suggested for fungi is because at the end of the day sk is outperformed in every department that is not trivial, especially xping.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampolo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What kind of evidence would you like? shall I go record a pug with no tank? You are the one that keeps repeating wars are better end game, not me, but I agree. Leveling is almost the best place for a warrior to outperform an sk, especially in a trio. An ench/cleric/tank trio with the same players will level faster with a warrior over an sk or a monk if they are competent and they will have access to more difficult camps. No I will not parse or play 3 tanks to 60 one-thousand times each to supply you with evidence you moron. The reason monk is suggested for fungi is because at the end of the day sk is outperformed in every department that is not trivial, especially xping.
The previous suggestion in this thread was pretty good. List the camps you think a Warrior would be better at over an SK.

I am honestly not sure where you get this idea that Warriors are better for XP groups. They can't hold agro as well as a Hybrid, and they can't pull very well. The extra DPS they bring to the table is going to be countered by those negatives.

You seem to be assuming perfect conditions, where all three players are veteran EQ players that know all of the secrets of the game and are powering to 60 for whatever reason. In that specific scenario you may be right, Warrior may indeed be the best XP partner for that group. Last time I checked, that isn't what OP was asking.

Speaking of OP, he is asking about SK vs. Warrior. He has a Monk already, so the current assumption is he doesn't want to roll another one. If you had to pick between an SK or Warrior for Fungi Tunic camp, you would go SK any day of the week. I have seen some fantastic SKs do Fungi Tunic camp, so it isn't like Monk is a hard requirement, just generally the more commonly used.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampolo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree, but please name 1-2 camps a warrior will allow access to in this trio during the leveling process that a monk or sk could not that’s supposedly enabling all this extra xp, I’m genuinely curious.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:22 PM
Sarnak

You can do every camp earlier and faster with more mobs in rotation
Old 02-04-2022, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
This is honestly preposterous. Right off the bat Fungi Tunic camp needs a dedicated puller (the enchanter is not going to do it). So this statement is false. Can you list specific camps that you feel will be better with a Warrior?
Old 02-04-2022, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
An sk with a max 52/58 pet will likely out dps a warrior btw.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:26 PM
Sarnak

you guys dont have much xp in playing ench or cleric in this trio do you?