Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:20 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Damn if you have to hide a harmless hobby from your wife, yall need to look seriously at the health of your relationship.
if you have at least one level 60, then i'm sorry, EQ is not a hobby - you have an addiction, and it's besides the fact that it's 2016 and you're playing an elf sim from the 90's...think about it. you have a psychological problem; we all do. subconsciously, you are vicariously chasing that feeling of a responsibility free lifestyle that you had in your teens where you can indulge without catastrophic consequence. if your life isn't already ruined from your adolescent years, you probably are working in the real world and maybe have a kid or two. as you progress in the game from your 'harmless hobby', you slowly lose a grip of reality...all of a sudden, you're level 60 with decent gear and you lose a sense of how many real hours you put into this game. of course, this doesn't apply to everyone, but it does to at least 80% of the people on this server via pareto principle (in reality probably 90%).

I see you have one 60 account + several mid level alts..do me a favor and type /play in game then add em all up. let's not forget to add up forum hours too. if you still think EQ is a harmless hobby, then you are obviously still in denial. unless she's a real gamer too, if your wife doesn't get mad, then your relationship has already been dead. she probably already has sent her post secret note similar to this poor lad which will show up in the 2017 edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMice [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A+

My wife saw me on EQ; walked over said, "What is this?"

I immediately just slash 'q'.
if you're smart, then next time you'll /q before it even gets to "what is this?" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by supermonk; 09-14-2016 at 08:29 PM..
Old 09-15-2016, 10:23 AM
Fire Giant

Ha! It's all in good fun. But yea... is it a hobby? is it a psychological problem? perhaps both? Right now my Raid Attendance for the last 6 months has been a solid 0%. Feels great.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:04 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if you have at least one level 60, then i'm sorry, EQ is not a hobby - you have an addiction, and it's besides the fact that it's 2016 and you're playing an elf sim from the 90's...think about it. you have a psychological problem; we all do. subconsciously, you are vicariously chasing that feeling of a responsibility free lifestyle that you had in your teens where you can indulge without catastrophic consequence. if your life isn't already ruined from your adolescent years, you probably are working in the real world and maybe have a kid or two. as you progress in the game from your 'harmless hobby', you slowly lose a grip of reality...all of a sudden, you're level 60 with decent gear and you lose a sense of how many real hours you put into this game. of course, this doesn't apply to everyone, but it does to at least 80% of the people on this server via pareto principle (in reality probably 90%).
goodness, this seems harsh, like a dad saying "video games aren't ever good for anything, son."

everyone puts a lot of hours into something. for most that thing is keeping up with the new TV shows or going out to bars. how this represents any less escapism than putting those hours into EQ instead is a mystery to me.

keep in mind, too, that I'm not one of the people you rail at. I play very casually, somewhere between one and three times a week. but your postulate is frankly ridiculous.

also, the pareto principle is, "20% of X is responsible for 80% of the effect to Y." it's not what you describe.
Crallos Rek - 35 ogre shaman
Timothe - 31 human enchanter
Variol Cutthroat - 27 human paladin
Telehr - 23 human magician
Old 09-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I see you have one 60 account + several mid level alts..do me a favor and type /play in game then add em all up. let's not forget to add up forum hours too. if you still think EQ is a harmless hobby, then you are obviously still in denial. unless she's a real gamer too, if your wife doesn't get mad, then your relationship has already been dead. she probably already has sent her post secret note similar to this poor lad which will show up in the 2017 edition.

if you're smart, then next time you'll /q before it even gets to "what is this?" [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm pretty sure /played is broken on this server. But naw, I got a decent job, nice car, no kids tho cause I don't want to waste my money.
[XX Rogue] Hailto (Half-Elf)
Red:
[21 Wizard] Hailto (Dark-Elf)
Old 09-15-2016, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by thufir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

also, the pareto principle is, "20% of X is responsible for 80% of the effect to Y." it's not what you describe.
The neckbeards are the reason we're all imprisoned in this fun house ;*<
Old 09-15-2016, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailto [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm pretty sure /played is broken on this server. But naw, I got a decent job, nice car, no kids tho cause I don't want to waste my money.
It is. It's like it looks at total time logged into account since character creation, whether logged into that character or staring at server select.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella`Ella [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For the true nostalgic feeling, I got a girlfriend. Now she yells at me to get off of Everquest like my parents used to when I was 13.
LOL you should try a wife they are much better at it !!!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Closed Thread