Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 06-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Update: turns out the power unit and motherboard are burned out. Doc says it'll cost $280 to have him replace them. I spent $300 on this used toaster about 2 years ago.

Looks like I'm in the market for a new one. Probably max $500. I'll look for something with a 100+GB SSD and 8 GB of ram. I'd appreciate any suggestions of other criteria to look for, places to look, or particular models.
This might not be quite what you're looking for, but the friends that I send this guide to have had great success in building budget gaming PCs.

You can mix and match to get what you want, but it serves as a good basis to fall back on.

It seems to be updated frequently, but I could be wrong. In any case, even the $300 PC listed should run EQ flawlessly and quickly, assuming you opt for an SSD.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds
Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 06-04-2016 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: link was buggered
Old 06-04-2016, 11:54 AM
Fire Giant

Microcenter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Update: turns out the power unit and motherboard are burned out. Doc says it'll cost $280 to have him replace them. I spent $300 on this used toaster about 2 years ago.

Looks like I'm in the market for a new one. Probably max $500. I'll look for something with a 100+GB SSD and 8 GB of ram. I'd appreciate any suggestions of other criteria to look for, places to look, or particular models.
This is Tala right?
Last edited by JackFlash; 06-04-2016 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: dumb
Old 06-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is Tala right?
Yep.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Aviak

Quote:

$280 to replace an old motherboard and power supply? Come on now. I hate to be that guy but I think you can get by with just a cheap ram upgrade to play. It's old DDR2 ram. In some places, where Goodwill repairs computers, you could buy a few sticks for under 20 dollars. A new kit of DDR3 6gb (2gb x 3) goes for as little as $40, with free shipping, just for comparison. Sounds to be like the 'doc' just wants some business building a new system. If you had a burned out power supply and janky motherboard, you would have all kinds of issues.. not even being able to turn on the system, massive instability, etc. I don't know what to tell you.. I don't disagree that you are in line for an upgrade, but come on now that's just silly.

Still willing to look up your board if you provide a make and model, and even link you to the appropriate ram and tell you your boards capacities, etc.
Last edited by CmaN; 06-04-2016 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: edit
Old 06-04-2016, 06:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Yep.
If you need any help I'm right around the corner (literally.) Not playing much but happy to help you build a new toaster. Microcenter has some great deals on open box crap. 3-500 could get you going easily. I also have a bunch of stuff laying around if you need upgrade parts for your old pc.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:35 PM
Planar Protector

Default RIP toaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmaN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you had a burned out power supply and janky motherboard, you would have all kinds of issues.. not even being able to turn on the system...
Actually I can't. It died Wednesday night after a long neckbeard session. It suddenly and instantly turned off and it would not turn on. I probably just needed to blow the dust out of it more often. I wish I could try this RAM upgrade, but it's beyond that point now.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:37 PM
Aviak

I'm really sorry to hear that. At least you get to look forward to a new computer and hopefully will find better enjoyment out of both your game and anything else you do!
Good luck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Microcenter has some great deals on open box crap. 3-500 could get you going easily.
Hm! Now I have to decide whether to buy a laptop, buy a used toaster, or build my own.

Is building one really going to save me much money and give a better result? The price range seems similar.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:44 PM
Planar Protector

Thanks again, CMan and other wizards.