Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 07-20-2022, 09:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did read the conversation, you are just being stubborn and wrong[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Starting stats only really matter endgame due to stat scaling. 25 STA basically gives you nothing for the first 30 levels or so. The WIS is still going to give you more benefit even at lower levels. If 30HP was the difference between life and death at level 30ish, the problem wasn't your starting stats. More mana = less canni = more HP saved, even at lower levels. And pre-canni you are basically getting no HP from STA.
So what's "endgame" for a non-raid Shaman? Again, what are you thinking when you imagine "a non-raid Shaman" playing EQ?

I'm imagining that Shaman farming plat for upgrades, because that's the only way to get upgrades without raiding. I imagine them farming the places I keep repeating because they are uniquely good for Shaman and not for other classes (Crypt, WW Dragons, PoM A4, etc.). One other person in the thread imagines them soloing Sebilitie Protectors.

We have to be on the same page with what we're talking about or we're just talking past each other.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So what's "endgame" for a non-raid Shaman? Again, what are you thinking when you imagine "a non-raid Shaman" playing EQ?
Level 60. For most casuals they never even get to 60. Stats scale with level, so the more casual (lower level probably) you are, the less they matter anyway. WIS scales better at all levels compared to STA for a Shaman, so you are still getting more bang for your buck. Again, more mana = less HP cannibalized.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:29 PM
Planar Protector

Before 60 no one is maxing any stats, so I'be been assuming the conversation starts at 60: personally I'm not even trying to discuss <60 here. And when it comes to 60 (as I keep repeating), in all the fights I've listed what's hard isn't running out of mana ... it's running out of life before slow lands.

So are you thinking of different fights, or are you disagreeing and arguing that in A4/Crypt/WW Dragons/etc. the hard part is running out of mana?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:30 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm imagining that Shaman farming plat for upgrades, because that's the only way to get upgrades without raiding. I imagine them farming the places I keep repeating because they are uniquely good for Shaman and not for other classes (Crypt, WW Dragons, PoM A4, etc.). One other person in the thread imagines them soloing Sebilitie Protectors.
Why are you setting up weird little straw men?

I never imagined them soloing Sebilite Protectors. You asked me what I thought was a tough solo for a shaman and I answered, while also noting it's lack of relevancy.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:32 PM
Planar Protector

P.S. But also (re: <60), when XPing max mana truly doesn't matter. I never died, not even once, in my entire journey to 60, because I started at max mana, used it all up, and died at the end for the lack of just a bit more mana.

However, I did die (many times) from fights where I started at max HP, and then died because I couldn't gate out fast enough, or root fast enough, or whatever ... and a few more HP might have given me time to get that last survival spell off.

Old 07-20-2022, 09:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbiterBlixen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Why are you setting up weird little straw men?

I never imagined them soloing Sebilite Protectors. You asked me what I thought was a tough solo for a shaman and I answered, while also noting it's lack of relevancy.
No, I was trying to give your point credit ... but it seems even you agree that non-raid Shaman (who don't group or duo or do whatever else ... again, there are no absolutes for "all Shaman") are generally going to be doing the cash farming camps that I listed.

Last edited by loramin; 07-20-2022 at 09:35 PM..
Old 07-20-2022, 09:35 PM
Aviak

Quote:
No, I was trying to give your point credit ... but it seems even you agree that non-raid Shaman (who don't group or duo or do whatever else ... again, there are no absolutes for "all Shaman") are going to be doing the cash farming camps that I listed.
How does it give me credit? You claimed I imagined something I didn't imagine in a patronizing way. Thanks I guess?
Old 07-20-2022, 09:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbiterBlixen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How does it give me credit? You claimed I imagined something I didn't imagine in a patronizing way. Thanks I guess?
Before I was saying "Shaman mainly do these camps and at them HP > mana". Then you came along and said "here's a camp where mana matters more" (I remain suspicious, but I've never done Protectors so I've deferred to your greater experience there for now).

After you made your point, I started taking pains to qualify my point to say "not all Shaman" (ie. not all Shaman solo the places I listed, and the ones that solo other ones like Protector maybe would benefit from more mana). I've listed your example, of Protectors, as a counterpoint to my own. Because again, not all Shaman are the same, and if I want to be accurate and correct and not just a forum blowhard, I want to be on the same page with people I'm talking to, and that means not claiming some camp I've never done is better with more HP.

But that ... repeating your point over and over as a counter to my own ... is patronizing you, I guess?

Old 07-20-2022, 09:47 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Before I was saying "Shaman mainly do these camps and at them HP > mana". Then you came along and said "here's a camp where mana matters more" (I remain suspicious, but I've never done Protectors so I've deferred to your greater experience there for now).

After you made your point, I started taking pains to qualify my point to say "not all Shaman" (ie. not all Shaman solo the places I listed, and the ones that solo other ones like Protector maybe would benefit from more mana). I've listed your example, of Protectors, as a counterpoint to my own. Because again, not all Shaman are the same, and if I want to be accurate and correct and not just a forum blowhard, I want to be on the same page with people I'm talking to, and that means not claiming some camp I've never done is better with more HP.

But that ... repeating your point over and over as a counter to my own ... is patronizing you, I guess?
Yeah, thanks for painstakingly misrepresenting me.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:50 PM
Planar Protector

What are you even talking about? Can you just quote where I patronize or misrepresent you so I at least know what terrible thing I've said?