Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 02:37 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by galach [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Research pages I believe are linked to different zones. You might want to start asking around and working on getting these spells. It sucks if you are in that top percentile because you will need to get the research materials yourself, but that's part of the deal when you choose a research based class.
I don't think you've ever done research in classic.

Noone is going to "get" the materials themselves, I farmed 11 hours straight in a "level appropriate" place for level 16 drops yesterday, and got 1 research component. Exactly one.

This included me making 5 levels, on NPCs with levels 14-18.

Looking at drops like Glove of Rallos Zek, the wiki lists it as "Random drop from any level ~24-39 mob", so you'd have to be killing mobs of at least level 24, with a level 20 pet. This only worsens with levels.

Want to make the level 29 air pet? Go kill some lavaduct crawlers or brownie guards, both level 43+ mobs.

There is a reason this was patched.
Last edited by derpcake2; 10-29-2019 at 02:51 AM..
Old 10-29-2019, 02:41 AM
Planar Protector

Start auctioning WTB for those research components and other people will do the work for you.

I mean, it's supposed to be a social game...
Old 10-29-2019, 02:42 AM
Kobold

I've been watching Korith_FPS. They finally got word of dimension, at almost 31 lol
Old 10-29-2019, 02:45 AM
Planar Protector

Research was put into the game as a brake on casters powering through content in a couple weeks. It's a timesink specifically designed for launch so Verant wouldn't lose their shirts. It serves its designed purpose pretty well imo.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:47 AM
Fire Giant

Meanwhile, Shaman have a horrendously slow start but really get the ball rolling at 34. Magicians and Necromancers NEED their full spell book to compete once they hit that mark. The game is what it is.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:56 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Research can be trained at the GM all the way to 200 for about 2k so it's nothing more than a plat sink. It'll be ok guys.

On a side note, I suggest befriending a bard.
The point isn't the cost of raising research, the point is that components are simply too rare, and the pets are too important.

I see you went through a lot of effort to have something which was officially recognized as broken implemented, so grats you I guess.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:56 AM
Sarnak

You can farm some plat, train up to level 50 in research I think, and make your lower level spells with no extra effort. You can also buy words from vendors because there will be 2000 people running around selling shit like crazy to vendors. This isn't a hard thing to solve.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaStoat [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Meanwhile, Shaman have a horrendously slow start but really get the ball rolling at 34. Magicians and Necromancers NEED their full spell book to compete once they hit that mark. The game is what it is.
Eh. I regularly remember not having a current-level pet on a necro even on blue, let alone classic, and necros still work just fine. Engulfing darkness, a couple of your most recent dots, and your most recent pet + fears while you med eat up blue cons even without having basically any of the research spells.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:57 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Research was put into the game as a brake on casters powering through content in a couple weeks. It's a timesink specifically designed for launch so Verant wouldn't lose their shirts. It serves its designed purpose pretty well imo.
This is nonsense and you don't have any proof for it.

They didn't add mage pets to vendors to remove a "brake", they did it because it was broken and borderline unplayable.

The 6 month mark after which they were added on live had a lot of people still in their 10-20s, this isn't 2 decades ago though, so implementing a fix on the same timeline is just being spiteful towards one class.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:00 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raclen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can farm some plat, train up to level 50 in research I think, and make your lower level spells with no extra effort. You can also buy words from vendors because there will be 2000 people running around selling shit like crazy to vendors. This isn't a hard thing to solve.
Of course not, mages can just wait at 24 until other classes start grinding level 35 content, and with some luck they can scoop up the necessary stuff.
Closed Thread