Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 04:47 PM
Kobold

The weapons I've been alternating and parsing from level 20-33 are: Woodman's Staff vs. Fayguard Parrying Dagger mh and Lupine Dagger oh. The tree branch is like 30% more dps on blue cons iirc, it's a large difference.

Jade mace, silver swiftblade, Crystalline Short Sword in bags for skill ups but they can't compete.

I would suggest the axe level 20+ if you're determined to pass it into an alt. Dual lammy until then.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The weapons I've been alternating and parsing from level 20-33 are: Woodman's Staff vs. Fayguard Parrying Dagger mh and Lupine Dagger oh. The tree branch is like 30% more dps on blue cons iirc, it's a large difference.

Jade mace, silver swiftblade, Crystalline Short Sword in bags for skill ups but they can't compete.

I would suggest the axe level 20+ if you're determined to pass it into an alt. Dual lammy until then.
How did you get a Fayguard Parrying Dagger at such a low level? Has the proc ever caused you problems? I thought it was an AoE proc.

I wouldn't even consider using the 2-hander until enemies started riposting. I think that's either 25 or 30?
Old 06-13-2020, 05:52 PM
Kobold

I'm no melee master but I think the lift of the damage cap at level 20 is when the 2 handers really take off. And then at some higher level is when adding the bonus damage to a faster swinging 1 hander overcomes that. Too much crunching for me so I just watch the parse. Again, I'm not trying to bleed a turnip.

As far as howling stones, easiest way is to get double invis and make sure no goos are in the path to north boss room and just farm boss until it drops. I didn't find someone to invis me so I made levi, ivu, and fob gate pots on my shaman, and dropped candle key for ranger.

Cleared to north safe spot with necro, ran ranger in, cleared hallway, moved ranger to north boss door and left him there at level 20 for a while.

Then whenever I felt like leveling my necro (I alternate between alts, don't really have a main), I'd be sure to check boss room for dagger and when I saw it I yoinked it and swapped for the loot then teleport pot out then started playing my ranger again. It's not procing at level 33 so non issue atm.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm no melee master but I think the lift of the damage cap at level 20 is when the 2 handers really take off. And then at some higher level is when adding the bonus damage to a faster swinging 1 hander overcomes that. Too much crunching for me so I just watch the parse. Again, I'm not trying to bleed a turnip.

As far as howling stones, easiest way is to get double invis and make sure no goos are in the path to north boss room and just farm boss until it drops. I didn't find someone to invis me so I made levi, ivu, and fob gate pots on my shaman, and dropped candle key for ranger.

Cleared to north safe spot with necro, ran ranger in, cleared hallway, moved ranger to north boss door and left him there at level 20 for a while.

Then whenever I felt like leveling my necro (I alternate between alts, don't really have a main), I'd be sure to check boss room for dagger and when I saw it I yoinked it and swapped for the loot then teleport pot out then started playing my ranger again. It's not procing at level 33 so non issue atm.
I'll just check on the bonus damage numbers then and do some crunching myself. That's kinda what I should be doing rather than relying on others for knowledge, and I apologize if that is annoying to anyone, but I'm very much a student of the game and trying to learn.

Anyway Lamentation is a fine Ranger 1her, IMO. Should make a decent placeholder until Epics.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:07 PM
Kobold

I just saw you mention the weapons thing and wanted to share my experience where 2h takes it away at level 20. These same questions have been asked for 20 years and I still don't have the answers. I'm way more of a caster type but I'm gonna play every class in this great game. Wish I had more to share, you're not annoying imo.

Anyways back to the op, if you're not gonna face tank, I will vouch for the tigeraptor for the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread: good str, light weight, fashion.

Snaggles summed it nicely as well on page 2. Fashion is rule 1. Don't forget a gem refresher.

Have fun and embrace death.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:39 PM
Sarnak

I definitely recommend using a 2h at lower levels. Your DW skill won't be high enough to make up for the better ratios on 2h weapons until you're higher. I was going to suggest something cheap like BABS, but you've already got your sights on better.
P99: [52 Champion] Alysane (Barbarian) <Auld Lang Syne>
SZ : [65 Lord Protector] Cochise (Erudite) <Sanctus Lumen>
Old 06-13-2020, 09:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I definitely recommend using a 2h at lower levels. Your DW skill won't be high enough to make up for the better ratios on 2h weapons until you're higher. I was going to suggest something cheap like BABS, but you've already got your sights on better.
Does the offhand get bonus damage as well, or main hand only?
Old 06-13-2020, 09:48 PM
Sarnak

Damage bonus is only for main hand.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Damage bonus is only for main hand.
So I guess that means, if I get two different weapons, say a Sarnak Backstabber and a Jagged Blade of Mourning, then the faster one should go in the main hand and the harder hitting one in the offhand?

(if I chose to replace my Lammies, of course)
Old 06-13-2020, 09:53 PM
Sarnak

Yes you usually want the faster weapon main hand, unless the slower weapon has a significant ratio advantage.

For off hand, ratio is all that really matters. It doesn't matter how hard it hits or how fast it swings, ratio is king.
Closed Thread