Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Fire Giant

My question is, if your going to arbitrarily choose a religion and (if there is a text) arbitrarily interpret the text, why not just make up your own religion that at least lets you have premarital sex on a beanbag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruman View Post
Hahaha, that is awesome. Right up there with...that one guy's....boat service before the boats worked.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Kobold

^^ What he said!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Sarnak

I am a biomedical engineer and a Christian. I spend my days researching tissue engineering (AHHHH STEM CELLS!!!!!!!!) but I also go to church and read articles on apologetics, and I love a good religious debate (there is ample opportunity for this, given the nature of most people I work with).

I'm sure many heads are exploding right now due to this paradox.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Kobold

Religion exists as an avenue for people to explain things they cannot explain any other way with absolute certainty. Not having a religion you accept that things cannot be explained at this point in time with the information we have now and the technology we have to collect information. How is either way worse than the other? Yes, some people use religion as a tool to persuade people to do their bidding in evil and maniacal ways. People use science in the same way. Why can't you just accept the fact that religion is here to stay, whether it be in the form of Christianity or praying to the sun?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am a biomedical engineer and a Christian. I spend my days researching tissue engineering (AHHHH STEM CELLS!!!!!!!!) but I also go to church and read articles on apologetics, and I love a good religious debate (there is ample opportunity for this, given the nature of most people I work with).

Yes many of us struggle dealing with the fact that some very bright people cannot see what is so painfully obvious.

Remember that time there were no eyewitnesses to Jesus' execution and no one wrote about it for 60 years because he's just a mythological character made up of folklore from other mythological characters? Good times.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Kobold

that's two whole generations!

considering we live in the information age and most of us still dont know much about what happened in our grandparents child hood lives ( talking about day to day) I fail to see how anyone can document properly the "Jesus" thing in that era.

But I guess, LotR and Harry Potter are also facts, and not fiction.

and Starwars is true as well, it just happened in a galaxy far far away!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henini [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Starwars is true as well, it just happened in a galaxy far far away!

Give them a break it was a long long time ago

<< Hassel the Hoff - Druid of the 55th Grind >>
<< Kassel the Koff - Monk of the 52st Train >>
Old 01-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I think most of us are old enough to know that what passes for science in this country looks a whole lot like factory work involving rows and rows of test tubes. The biggest difference is that you likely have enormous student loans.

The only head under pressure from its own inflation is yours.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauregard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't be silly, it's symbolic Iron Age Literature concerning sacrifices and deities. It's obviously primitive superstitious nonsense and folklore, I suppose we could call it shitty mythology at best.

Agreed that they are bigoted and wrong about everything.

I'm not sure why you think I would get angry over any of this. I piss off religious people for entertainment, and occasionally make some of them think. I said I've read the bible, and study it. You say there is no way that I could have read your awesome book and drawn the conclusions that I have drawn. I think it's possible you're the one that's butthurt over the fact that not everyone wants to believe such garbage, and projecting that emotion onto me.
You really do think you have it all figured out don't you?

I mean it's hilarious to those sitting back reading what you're writing and the massive contradictions throughout everything you write.

First you agree that your parents are wrong about everything. That in and of itself goes to show you're the one who is "butt-hurt"

You haven't pissed me off, so I guess you haven't gotten much entertainment from me, sorry to disappoint you. You said you've read the bible and study it, I can just as easily say I'm a multi-millionaire doesn't put the money in my bank. If you've read the Bible and studied it with an open mind, and not trying to find something, anything to support your theory that the Bible is just shitty mythology.

You're such a biased person, it's unbelievable. You can say I'm the one 'projecting' emotions, but you're the one swearing all over the place and admit that you attempt to piss people off for entertainment. Christian or not, any psychologist could diagnose deep seeded anger in that person. I mean, how many happy, self confident, and people with any sense of self worth do you know that walk around trying to piss people off?

If the Bible is entirely wrong, then why is it practically every Ancient Civilization has an account of a great flood? Are they all wrong as well? Just curious.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:11 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawen Everywhere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think most of us are old enough to know that what passes for science in this country looks a whole lot like factory work involving rows and rows of test tubes. The biggest difference is that you likely have enormous student loans.

The only head under pressure from its own inflation is yours.
umad brew?

Should really relax, if you can't see the purpose of his post was to say that not every Christian is anti-science (there's no reason for any of them to be imo, God created the rules of physics and science, it's only going to further prove Him the more we discover with our finite minds) and not every Scientist is a crazy Anti-creationist that is just out to prove how wrong the Bible is.

You'd think with all the 100s of thousands of anti-Christian zealots out there and as smart as they all are in comparison to Christians, how they couldn't have proven that Jesus didn't exist, and the accounts of the Bible are false.

If you know so much about the Bible maybe you could tell me a little bit about the history of the Bible.

How many different writers are there of the Bible?
How many years did it take to compile the Bible?
Is the Bible the only historical document to give accounts of the life of Jesus?
Closed Thread