Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 01:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know if she is still mired in controversy like she used to be, but I remember ContraPoints doing a pretty involved and thoughtful talk about 'passability'

For the life of me, I cannot remember which of her videos it was, and it may very well have been various sections of multiple videos
Hadn’t heard of this person. When I hear contra I think of that super hard nes game

I was expecting someone to mention “if you think there is a correlation between passability and quality of life, why would you be against something that improves someone’s future passability?”

And I do consider that. All these things still weigh heavy on my mind when I take a stance on something. But I still feel the way I do
Old 03-01-2023, 01:46 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know if she is still mired in controversy like she used to be, but I remember ContraPoints doing a pretty involved and thoughtful talk about 'passability'

For the life of me, I cannot remember which of her videos it was, and it may very well have been various sections of multiple videos
this is the one you're looking for, i think
Old 03-01-2023, 01:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hadn’t heard of this person. When I hear contra I think of that super hard nes game

I was expecting someone to mention “if you think there is a correlation between passability and quality of life, why would you be against something that improves someone’s future passability?”

And I do consider that. All these things still weigh heavy on my mind when I take a stance on something. But I still feel the way I do
She's great. She's the kind of person that I really wish would go on Steven Crowder or Ben Shapiro and annihilate them, but I can also see why she would not bother or validate their opinions by doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbonkers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could be! Can't find a group as a cleric somehow so I'm putting it on!
Old 03-01-2023, 10:37 AM
Planar Protector

>Jupiter and Venus 'kiss' in a stunning planetary conjunction tonight. Here's how to watch.
Story by Brandon Specktor • Yesterday 11:00 PM

>On Wednesday (March 1) and Thursday (March 2), two bright planets will appear as if they were about to collide in the night sky.

prolly a severe risk of witchcraft and satanism tonight and tomorrow, stay frosty out there soldiers of Christ.
Last edited by Rogean; 04-17-2024 at 05:01 PM..
Old 03-01-2023, 10:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Yeah, like, I can admit there's potential for harm without a weird fanficiton, but for all of that potential harm the same potential harms could happen if the kid doesn't get the care

To me, that suggests that further research is required. This reminds me of all that hoo-hah about fetal stem cells all those years ago. For every research org that posts something along the lines of 'we are opposed to this', there's a research org that posts something along the lines of 'we support this'

For all we know the fact that it is more common than it used to be in western societies is making a larger point that we aren't seeing because it feels icky to a bunch of reactionaries
It feels icky because we’re in a social media era with off the chart adolescent mental illness and we’re allowing for permanent, irreversible choices during an age when, at the best of times, a child is ill prepared to make serious decisions with anything beyond transient consequences

I’m not a social conservative but I think we should ask ourselves why the Swedes and Finns are banning puberty blockers and I don’t think it’s transphobic to consider what that inquiry might yield

(I’m also a father of three and remember my kids collectively making zero good decisions in their adolescent and teen years)
Old 03-01-2023, 10:50 AM
Planar Protector

>Train carrying propane derails miles away from Florida airport
Story by Chantal Da Silva • 2h ago

this just in, train derailments are now a drinking game.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
>Train carrying propane derails miles away from Florida airport
Story by Chantal Da Silva • 2h ago

this just in, train derailments are now a drinking game.
its just too big of a coincidence

must be da jooz
Old 03-01-2023, 11:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It feels icky because we’re in a social media era with off the chart adolescent mental illness and we’re allowing for permanent, irreversible choices during an age when, at the best of times, a child is ill prepared to make serious decisions with anything beyond transient consequences

I’m not a social conservative but I think we should ask ourselves why the Swedes and Finns are banning puberty blockers and I don’t think it’s transphobic to consider what that inquiry might yield

(I’m also a father of three and remember my kids collectively making zero good decisions in their adolescent and teen years)
^^this

I haven’t delved super into it, but one of the possible sides of either the blockers or cross sex hormones I’ve heard can be permanent infertility

So you have a child, and I agree children these days are dumber and more mentally ill (by their own reports on that one) than ever despite having the highest technological quality of life. And that dumb child is making a permanent decision on whether they want to have kids one day or not. And that’s just one possible side effect
Old 03-01-2023, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

ploy by big monorail. final answer, Trebek.
Last edited by Rogean; 04-17-2024 at 05:01 PM..
Old 03-01-2023, 11:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I haven’t delved super into it
i delved into just enough to know if someone wielding a axe in a 7/11 or gamestop line asks me to correct my pronoun usage, i prolly should.