Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements > Polls

View Poll Results: Do you believe ooc and auction should be returned to zone-only?
YES! I want ooc/auction to be per zone only. 383 52.39%
NO! I want ooc/auction to remain global wide. 348 47.61%
Voters: 731. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Orc

I see several logical and valid options...

1) Leave it as is.

Why: /shout IS local ooc essentially. Global /occ facilitates communication for a growing population of players that is highly valuable. Imagine looking for a rez or a group without this, especially before you build up your network of friends here.

2) Make new chat channel for /occ which is global, revert /occ back to classic status. Leave /auc global, as trade would be highly crippled without it.

People claiming that removal of global auction would bring back EC Tunnel are dead wrong. It's only people that are preventing EC from being the center of trade it once was. If you don't like it, don't go to Freeport for gear and only sell from EC Tunnel. Get organized and start Bazaar days with events, giveaways, and discounts on items. That's what made EC Tunnel popular before--a sense of community. Otherwise, people will stay close to a bank that's safe and secure and NFP will continue to be a resting place for traders. Pretty simple!

That said, there is plenty of easy access to Freeport for KOS individuals too and no neutral banks outside of Runnyeye so I don't see what the big deal is.

3) Revert everything back to local and allow custom global channels. Needed channels would be...

-LFG
-Trade
-Rez service
-Portal service
-Help/Advice

etc... Probably way too complicated and global /ooc should stay. I don't care if something isn't classic. If its better it should be in game so long as it doesn't bend the spirit of the server too much. Given that /occ has already been in as is for a long time, why bother changing it? Only issue I can see is spam, in that case there are ways to avoid that.

Thanks and keep up the good work everyone!
Old 05-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogManX44 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
they only thing that is to be learned from this poll is that a lot of people are going to be pissed no matter what is done about this....sucks to be the devs :P
Lol, so true.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Project Manager

I hope it is known that the server will become more classic as time progresses. As live servers would patch in new content or features, we patch out newer content or features.

We will restore prekunark, Kunark, and Velious to the best of our abilities. We will put polish on them, and they are free for you to roam. Some content and features may be patched out before others, but do not be of the mindset that present non-classic elements are here to stay. It is only a matter of if they can be fixed, how they can be fixed, and when we can fix them.

I am a classic purist. The biggest mistake everquest ever made, in my opinion, was automating and simplifying the player's experience. Seemingly every new feature or change that was implemented post Velious was something to "benefit" me, that I didn't need to begin with. There are PLENTY of other games that encourage perks and things that are easier. Classic Everquest was widely-known to not be one of them.<team npc=""><team npc="">

We make the best, most well-informed decisions we can, with consideration to the feedback we receive.

</team></team>There was never a question of keeping global channels permanently. The question is to whether or not now is the time. The development team has to consider many factors, *some* of which were mentioned here. If there was a switch to immediately and completely revert this to classic, I'd flip it. Until there is, we will occasionally ask you for your feedback.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Fire Giant

Thanks Nilbog. None of that should be a surprise to anybody, and that philosophy is really why we're all here (or, well, most of us).
Old 05-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Planar Protector

is there a possibility of a solution other then simply 1) global chat or 2) zone-wide chat?

a more comfortable medium might be continent wide chat? or global chat that excluded dungeon zones?

my personal opinion is that right now we are too crowded for global chat and too vacant for zone-only chat. something in the middle would make more sense at the current time imo.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Kobold

People are interchanging the word need with convenience too much. You don't need a rez channel, you don't need a port channel, or a lfg channel, or any other channel. They make life easier, but a server would operate fine without one. Being able to auction globally is a convenience, not a need.

Whenever I speak of EC tunnel, I only do so because that's where the bazaar was on my server. I know it was Freeport of even Greater Faydark on others. The fact is that if global channels are removed, somewhere will become the trader center, wherever that may be.

We may not have the population of a live server at its peak, but we definitely have a strong population that is continually growing. I think that this is curbed by the fact that we all know what we're doing now. Population isn't the reason why there is not 15 people leveling on Kerra Isle, it's because Kerra Isle sucks. There are only 3-4 spots people actually go per level range because we know they're the best spots. They were the same 3-4 spots that were used when the server had 150 people, the same spots used now that we have 750 people, and will be the same spots used when we have 1200 people.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Sarnak

I just heard a nasty rumor in ooc that we're about to see global channels go live in the game???

Unfortunately if you make global channels in the game people will use them, which will force me to listen to the ooc chatters in order to filter the lfg calls instead of people using who all lfg.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Donate a water filter in Haiti. Click Here
Old 05-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdnelson [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
etc... Probably way too complicated and global /ooc should stay. I don't care if something isn't classic. If its better it should be in game so long as it doesn't bend the spirit of the server too much. Given that /occ has already been in as is for a long time, why bother changing it? Only issue I can see is spam, in that case there are ways to avoid that.

Thanks and keep up the good work everyone!

What is your idea of the spirit of the server?? Would pok stones bend the spirit of the server? Maps for every zone? Global channels?? They all do the same thing, and imo bend the spirit of the server, from classic to whatever makes it more convenient.

And that is a very poor excuse for not changing something, ( It's funny to say changing something, when it really should not be there, and was actually added post classic, which was a change for the worse imo ) that it has already been here for a while, so why change it? That is like saying "This (insert bug) has been here a long time, why bother changing it?" I don't really understand such logic.

The only problem you see is spam? You must not be looking very hard then. Lets go back to the " bend the spirit of the server " thing. One example would be items. I see items fly by my face 24/7, full sets of mithril, darkforage, pearl kedge totems, and so forth. It has gotten to the point where I am not even excited or happy when loot drops. It's like, "wow, i have seen that being sold 100 times this week in /ooc". That really kills immersion, and bends the spirit of the server in half! This is probably due to the fact that you can SELL things from your CAMP........
Last edited by utenan; 05-20-2010 at 06:28 PM..
Old 05-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Kobold

Please please do not replace global ooc with global chat channels. If increasing immersion and that classic feel is the reasoning behind all of this, replacing one form of global communication with another really isn't the way. It's hardly a compromise to both parties.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Sarnak

Say goodbye to a good number of people if there isn't SOME FORM of global communication.

Regards,

Brain
Closed Thread