Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Another term: Anti-american. A term to paint someone that is critical of the US governement policies, or any conservative/right-wing beleif as if they hate everything american.
No they just call us teabaggers now.

Donate a water filter in Haiti. Click Here
Old 06-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Fire Giant

I disagree on the use of gay and faggot. Both have moved on from being used to describe homosexuals.

Can't I be gay and frolic in the woods while gathering a fagot of wood? Does that make me homosexual?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Ihealyou

No one uses who/whom correctly.

L2Subjective Case

Uuur - Your favorite Master +1 cleric <LifeAlert>
Rockwell - Your favorite 30 virgin <Aspen and Rockwell>
Old 06-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree on the use of gay and faggot. Both have moved on from being used to describe homosexuals.

Can't I be gay and frolic in the woods while gathering a fagot of wood? Does that make me homosexual?
I would have liked to agree with you but I ran into several situations recently where they will still in use for derogatory terms.

Donate a water filter in Haiti. Click Here
Old 06-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So... what other expression really grinds you gear(s)?
"chaise lounge" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaise_longue

also, ugly women with hot voices
Old 06-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here we go. Here's another example of nonstandard usage becoming standard. The article you referred to has itself declared that this has become a standard usage in American English. You can fight the change, but you're just going to look like an assclown and ultimately your efforts are futile.

The English language changes. All languages change. Words are added, modified, and removed on a daily basis. If you spoke with someone who spoke Middle English, you would barely understand them, and farther removed still would your understanding be if you spoke to someone who spoke Old English (In fact, Old English would probably sound like a completely foreign language to you).
Old 06-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Banned

English is such a bastard anyway. Wouldn't it be fair to say that when a language becomes static, it moves into a "dead" category? I much prefer a more dynamic and living language that allows you to create even newer expressions, thus enabling more precise communication.

This may tick someone off, but I love portmanteaus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Or is that tickoff?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via ICQ to Qaedain Send a message via AIM to Qaedain Send a message via MSN to Qaedain

I'm sure we can draw a distinction between:
Language "evolving" because the unwashed masses were too lazy to type a complete word and, say, the Normans invading Anglo-Saxon England.

I would argue that there is, in fact, a very big distinction.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Ihealyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaedain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm sure we can draw a distinction between:
Language "evolving" because the unwashed masses were too lazy to type a complete word and, say, the Normans invading Anglo-Saxon England.

I would argue that there is, in fact, a very big distinction.
I see the distinction in how the change happened, but what's the distinction if the language changes either way?

Uuur - Your favorite Master +1 cleric <LifeAlert>
Rockwell - Your favorite 30 virgin <Aspen and Rockwell>
Old 06-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled_heretic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here we go. Here's another example of nonstandard usage becoming standard. The article you referred to has itself declared that this has become a standard usage in American English. You can fight the change, but you're just going to look like an assclown and ultimately your efforts are futile.
yes, i'm sure i'll look like an assclown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]