Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:39 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMagic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is sweet man... awesome! 15 FPS is definitely playable. Let me know results of remote test...

BTW can you remap keys for the Droid? Wondering how you can get the "TAB" function there.

EDIT:
Eek! $10 for the PhoneMyPC app... stinker. Would have paid $2 for it, maybe $5. Darn.
Trust me, its worth the investment. The testing and modifications im doing combined with the apps functionality make this WELLLL worth it, not just for EQ but other things as well. And yes most any key can be bound or used, even accessing system properties and tasks.

EDIT: Heres the results of the first 3g test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_jDVS1Zvlg
This video was done with wireless disabled, only running off the 3G connection. Performance is noticeably slower compared to wireless. However, the client was running at max detail, 1680x1050 resolution with all effects, view distances, actors, AA 8x and AF 8x cranked up.
At the end of the video you see me pop back out and actually re-enable the wireless so you can be assured it was off. Ill need to do some client tweaking and its looking like turning off the sky, particles, view distance and lowering the resolution will go a long ways performance wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CODMGX5dNc
Ok final 3G connectivity test. Client running windowed mode, 1024x768 res, ALL effects off except particles because i forgot, lowest clip plane possible, all HW Shaders totally off, LOD etc etc.

And sorry if it moved alot during filming, i have a puppy sleeping on my lap and she kept nudging both phones.
Last edited by ShadowWulf; 05-14-2010 at 07:45 PM..
Old 05-15-2010, 12:19 AM
Sarnak

Definitely some low FPS over 3g... so it looks like a more "WiFi" thing to be pulling off at a good FPS.
Thanks for the results Shadow
Old 05-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Kobold

Gasp.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:47 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraud [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gasp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bGPo0O4sKA

Live filming, healing a group in actual gameplay circumstances. I dont recomend doing this btw, its very tricky. Even more so one handed (Holding the other droid to film with in my other hand!) and trying to keep everything still and film able.

Starbuck/Fraud asked that I not heal the group on the phone. So of course thats exactly what i wanted to try for at least one pull.
Last edited by ShadowWulf; 05-15-2010 at 02:56 AM..
Old 05-15-2010, 06:15 AM
Kobold

Send a message via AIM to BuzWeaver Send a message via Yahoo to BuzWeaver

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought to run the game on my Droid. I'm guessing your phone is rooted? Since the 2.1 patch the performance of the phone has gone down slightly, in an effort no doubt to help with battery conservation. I've not tried to play Quake yet either.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:23 AM
Sarnak

You know you could probably make a UI suited just for the Droid... stuff like really large buttons that are easier to press.. such as targetting for your group members. That would make this more easily playable on the Droid.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Sarnak

so just to confirm the game isnt loaded on the phone... the phone is using a remote desktop app using a vnc connection?
Falisaty Shagswell mage of 10 winters
"O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade that, with it, thou mayest blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." Armaments 2:9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmakos View Post
my dick would look huge in her hand
Old 05-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Sarnak

OK FINAL RUNDOWN!

Running Project 1999 EQ on the DROID, the easy and fastest way!

WARNING: Before we begin im making it very clear that my methods require at least a basic knowledge of computers, your ANDROID device and common sense.

1. You do NOT have to root your droid or overclock it HOWEVER I strongly recommend you do! Both for everything it enables your droid to do, the FUN of it, but also the raw performance difference is simply staggering for an application like this.

2. This is NOT a VNC solution, its a proprietary one that as of now is the ONLY way you're going to run EQ at anything approaching a "usable" FPS. One the plus side this app works for almost ANYTHING on your PC, you can easily manage your desktop, other games, anything. So besides EQ its got alot of nifty uses!

3. Unfortunately the app is not free, NO its not my app so im not making shit off this, just trying to share some nifty information that enables EQ's or other tinker and mod oriented people to get their rocks off.
The app is available on the market, its called PHONEMYPC and its $10...yikes i know but its got so many other uses I found it WELL worth the cash.
Its not a VNC app it actually translates your PC into the equivalent of a mpeg4 video then streams that -live- MUCH faster that would be other wise possible. It allows full mouse, keyboard, and all special key use. So youre looking AT you pc as if youre in front of it, but on your droid instead. System tools work, task manager all of it.

4. This works on WiFi and 3G both, anywhere. Of course for GAMING im saying you basically NEED to be on a wifi hotspot somewhere. McDonalds, the library, work whatever it all works fine. Save dedicated 3G for desktop stuff and non gaming, that works fine.

5. Again, the faster the ANDROID device the better off you'll be. The app does support soft keyboards for non-DROID users as well, but I have not tested them personally as my DROID has a keyboard. Incredible users at a stock 1.o GHz should be pretty well off, for gaming id definitly root and overclock a droid (which stock is 550mhz) and as for a G1 or an Eris...that's anybody's guess. It will run but i dunno how well I have yet to try it on those devices.

6. Last note here...remember this is a PHONE people. Its going to be buggy time to time, slow at other times...and as for practicality? HAHAHA no, its fun and useful for buffing, chatting, selling, all that....but as someone who healed a group via the phone the other night I do NOT recommend using it as a full replacement until someone develops a larger UI suited for the phone's size! The controls can be awkard to learn, and some functions dont full work properly (cant click both mouse buttons at the same time for example, movement can be a pita to set up, etc) If someone wipes your group because they were playing on their phone don't blame me!

ROOT AND OVERCLOCK!
I am not going to spend a week writing a guide to this, its totally unneccessary. The process is quite simple, easy and all in all safe. I have yet to hear of even a bad flash that wasn't able to be corrected easily enough, and never have I heard of a overclock physically damaging a phone.
With that, please READ EVERYTHING AT LEAST TWICE. If you are not sure you can do this, THEN DON'T! The various forums I linked have everything you need to know on rooting, don't come to me!

So ill point you to a guide, and have at it!

WHAT IS ROOT?: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...op-asking.html

Have you already upgraded to the Verizon 2.1 android from the auto update? Im assuming thats proably EVERYONE reading this. If so then go HERE: http://forum.droidmod.org/index.php?...ic,1004.0.html

Theres alot of custom roms out there, but for rock solid stability, speed, and pure awesomeness I use myself and recommend Petes Bugless Beast 1.0, then apply a custom OC kernel as you see fit. If you got through the above steps then you wont need any explanation as to what or why on this.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bug...1-0-ese81.html

THE APP!

Download PhoneMYPC on the market. If your so inclined you can also chec out their page here: http://www.softwareforme.com/phonemypc/
AFter app install also install the PC side server portion. Its a little package, runs in the background, all that jazz. Its pretty straightforward. Plug in the information, and your good to go. (LINK: http://www.softwareforme.com/phonemypc/setupapc.html)

EXCEPT....please ensure you open all proper ports in both windows firewall and whatever router youre using! Failure to do so would cause it not to work properly (duh) among other things. The default port is TCP port 49300 but you can change that in the app.

Make sure you read the control guides on their site for how everything works, and how to set them up to your liking. A tricky spot might me getting movement keys to work properly, well you can also rebind the keys inside EQ on the phone itself! That makes it a bit simpler when ya play with it for awhile.

FINAL THOUGHTS!

Well there you have it, im pretty sure thats enough information for anybody to go off of now. Im am simply UNABLE to provide for every question or eventuality however, and with that in mind I urge you to do a bit of reading especially when it comes to the ROM flashing. A good point to start at is http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ where you can find a bevy of information. Alot of my information is droid0biased of course but any android phone can be modded! For you HTC phone people I recommend http://www.xda-developers.com/

With this in mind I hope at least ive proved the concept at least beyond a shadow of a doubt now. The videos prove it works, and the exact limits and strengths of such a setup. So please dont send me tells in games about how much something sucks, or how you were flashing your phone and dropped it in your iced tea and now its my fault it doesn't work, or what have you.
But if you have a legitimate question ill try and help you out between buffs and heals of course, as long as its not something ive already provided the information on.

Donations of coin or trinkets in game though would be the best reward, if you feel in a generous mood [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Or even hug my fat troll shammy Cuddles when I run by!

Besides that, do with this write up what you will (or decide not to do now!) and have fun!
Last edited by ShadowWulf; 05-16-2010 at 01:42 AM..
Old 05-16-2010, 01:38 AM
Kobold

oh man im playin eq on my phone.
oh-man oh-man oh-man.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:39 AM
Sarnak

Can't describe how cool this is. Great job man!