Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 09-13-2022, 09:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balimon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the mention! That reminds me that I need to add a few more spots for 55 +
Your guide helped me alot. Here's where I went for last few levels as epic mage solo. I'd suggest Neriak Arena, (best with necro duo, or just kill singles) Kedge Seahorses (invis to center east single one, blow it up, wait for roamer, kill that one, then the 3 at ent. Once split, can be AFK'd by sitting in front of patrich out of LOS, and put put just ahead of to the right so hes in los of front room. Or clear it all.) as well as lots of places in WL (geonids) and velks to find single pulls.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:10 PM
Banned

i was a wizard on live because i wanted to be a powerful wizard like Gandalf (it was not)

to my surprise, necromancer is the class that actually feels like a powerful wizard

hope this helps
Old 09-14-2022, 11:29 PM
Planar Protector

Necros are superior. Gandalf we be.

Mages are also cool and we can take a piss, drink a beer, whastetbate to whomever and still be effective.

Necro > mage

But mages … actually win

#lazyWin
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 09-15-2022, 03:54 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteaded [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mages are like a old sunday driver car, the enjoyment is the chillness, relax and don't push it and you'll get many fun adventures out of it.
Count me in [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My first char on Blue was a 60 MAG that I hardly play anymore, and my main character on Live was a MAG from Kunark to Depths of Darkhollow
Old 09-15-2022, 04:42 AM
Kobold

Omg not a day goes by without my poor mage main on blue being trashed on these forums....

I agree with people here that Necro is more powerful than mage due to its versatility - the ceiling with its soloing potential is certainly higher. Mage is still very good at soloing (possibly even faster than necro) up until 55, but as people mention it does get harder after that - but there are many places to grind xp solo all the same, and without much difficulty. But the class obviously can't compare to solo artist classes like Enc or shaman, or Nec. Also fares worse than druid, which is probably the 4th best solo class. So to answer OP's question, what's the reason anyone would play a mage?

Well, I picked mage on live and on blue server because I like two things very much: nuking, and summoned pets. And mage is obviously the class that exemplifies that combo more than any other class, being 2nd only to wiz with nukes and 1st with regards to summoned pets.

Although lack of CC sucks, it is also what makes the class' gameplay unique and intriguing - it is a true pet class in the sense that your life depends on your pet. That adds a twist to the gameplay and forces you to really pay attention to your surroundings and how to manage your pet's HP, rather than just your own. At higher levels it also makes each fight a little more nerve-wracking, which I think adds to the fun. There's little room for error. You have to be good at managing two players in a way.

Play mage if you love nuking (I personally find DoTs boring) and being a true pet class, i.e. the gameplay. Otherwise, I agree its deficiencies relative to a necro are fairly significant.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:09 AM
Fire Giant

Yeah I enjoyed leveling my mage,and I didn't enjoy leveling a necro. So for what it's worth play what you enjoy.
Mages also kinda fun to raid with if you get some of the da clickies.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:48 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Omg not a day goes by without my poor mage main on blue being trashed on these forums....

I agree with people here that Necro is more powerful than mage due to its versatility - the ceiling with its soloing potential is certainly higher. Mage is still very good at soloing (possibly even faster than necro) up until 55, but as people mention it does get harder after that - but there are many places to grind xp solo all the same, and without much difficulty. But the class obviously can't compare to solo artist classes like Enc or shaman, or Nec. Also fares worse than druid, which is probably the 4th best solo class. So to answer OP's question, what's the reason anyone would play a mage?

Well, I picked mage on live and on blue server because I like two things very much: nuking, and summoned pets. And mage is obviously the class that exemplifies that combo more than any other class, being 2nd only to wiz with nukes and 1st with regards to summoned pets.

Although lack of CC sucks, it is also what makes the class' gameplay unique and intriguing - it is a true pet class in the sense that your life depends on your pet. That adds a twist to the gameplay and forces you to really pay attention to your surroundings and how to manage your pet's HP, rather than just your own. At higher levels it also makes each fight a little more nerve-wracking, which I think adds to the fun. There's little room for error. You have to be good at managing two players in a way.

Play mage if you love nuking (I personally find DoTs boring) and being a true pet class, i.e. the gameplay. Otherwise, I agree its deficiencies relative to a necro are fairly significant.
I like the fantasy of having powerful servants and powerful spells at my disposal. However, if my pets would't be able to kill anything, I will have mostly the most boring element(fire) and everything will resist my spells, I rather be the master of life and death.

Stats aside, having an spectre as your servant(Emissary of Thule) seems more interesting than an elemental. Now, if I could have ice golems, gargoyles, and use powerful magic outside of the most overrated element(fire) which is hard to resist, I would play an mage.

I din't created this thread to bash mages, I created to see if someone can give me a good reason to play as one.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:23 AM
Kobold

no offense taken, i'm not saying you're bashing mages. i think if you surveyed players, you'd find 9/10 of them would choose necro over mage. they're just more powerful.

the point i was trying to make was that if you place a premium on versatility and variety, whether of gameplay or capabilities, as most people do in this game, then necro is the clear choice. mages are for niche players who just love blowing things up with nukes while also having the strongest pets in the game. and yes, the nukes work great outside of raid targets. even more so than almost any class, since mages have the best line of resistance debuffs spells (slightly lower than a shaman's but still gets the job done)

i want to point out in your reply, that the mage pets can kill a lot of things - more so than necro pets or any other summoned pets can. so i assume you are referring to raid targets, in which case a necro's pets and offensive spells are equally useless as a mage's.

the specter pet (EoT) is definitely cool, but it's still weaker than a mage's pets in the endgame. the wiki has its HP at 2700, while an unfocused earth pet at that level has 3200 hp while also being able to root. a focused water pet in the endgame has about 3200 hp as well, while also nuking for >100 every 6 seconds and backstabbing for 168.

but anyhow, a mage at 60 can run around with monster summoning III - so i can have a specter pet, a zombie pet, or a mummy pet if i'm in the right zone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]. as well as any other form of NPC that is not humanoid - it's fun sending a griffin pet to smack things too. caveat being that there are no special stats/abilities between them, but hey, i'll take a 3450 HP pet any day if it can look like a mermaid or even a dragon!
Last edited by Selene; 09-16-2022 at 04:25 AM..
Old 09-16-2022, 10:10 AM
Banned

I play a Necro, but not because I enjoy pet classes. I don't, actually.

I play a Necro because I like the concept of turning your HP/Mana into some other benefit.

I like that I can use Lich, use that mana to twitch Clerics - then self-heal with a leech dot/lifetap - then use that health to heal a dying tank. Self-heal again to 100% and use that health to gain more mana with Lich. Repeat.

Yes. I enjoy grouping with my Necro. Twitching is awesome. I am weird.

Also dots are great. Root-rotting is ROFL gameplay. Imagine someone root rotting you IRL...how pissed would you be?
Old 09-16-2022, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also dots are great. Root-rotting is ROFL gameplay. Imagine someone root rotting you IRL...how pissed would you be?
If mobs had brains I’m sure they would think it is the most infuriating ways to lose a fight/die