Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgetiq [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
WTB EQ on iPhone
Then give me an Iphone to work with, or do it yourself.
In fact this has ALL BEEN COVERED before, my techniques work on the iphone, its just slower and less customizable as a result. When I ask for direct comparisons with iphone users nobody actually tries the leg work though.

So, good luck with that.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Banned

Because if you have any sort of tech savvy you wouldn't have purchased an iphone in the first place.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because if you have any sort of tech savvy you wouldn't have purchased an iphone in the first place.
So true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If Steve Jobs took a dump in a box and marked it iTurd, people would pay $300 for it. Then they would complain that it smells like shit.
That's sig-worthy. Made me laugh irl.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Orc

Send a message via ICQ to KnuckleSangwich Send a message via AIM to KnuckleSangwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Care to share your thoughts behind this?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Not to fan the fire, I work designing radar systems. I am originally a microwave engineer, who manages a mid size SW department. I like my job because I get to write a lot of code and manage.

"If you have any sort of (X) you are (Y)" makes me point out who I am and what I do.

I have an iPhone 4. I could not reproduce the problems others had unless I really cupped the phone. There were a flurry of articles using bandwidth and signal strength to evaluate this problem. I found one, you can look at this for info.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/t...one-4-review/2
"If someone points a gun at you, you call the police. If a bunch of guys are pointing guns at you, you call SWAT. If they're in spandex and pointing a super laser at you, you call OSI. And if they're dressed regular and pointing a super laser at your daughter, that's when you call SPHINX. (SPHINX!)"
Formerly of Morell Thule and Test Server
Old 08-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuosos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
omg, roflmfao
Old 08-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to toddfx

Back when Shadow was doing tests on the Droid, I briefly tested it on the iPhone.

I believe the iPhone its self has just as much potential to play EQ as the Droid does. The thing to remember is that neither phone is actually processing the game data the way your PC does. Essentially all it is doing is streaming a live video feed from your desktop while tracking the mouse interaction and relaying it back to the PC. With this in mind, it seems the internet connection would be the real bottle neck. A good remote desktop app is also key.

When I was doing my tests, I was using the LogMeIn app to control my desktop. At most, I was getting about 10 FPS within my network and less than 5 FPS outside. Color quality settings were set to low on the app, so it looked pretty crappy. These were base test results, and I never ended up having time to explore other avenues.

Although my immediate results fell short of Shadow's excellent Droid performance, I do believe it is possible to tweak it up to a playable level on the iPhone. I plan to do some more tests once I find the time.
Last edited by toddfx; 08-20-2010 at 01:25 PM..
Old 08-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddfx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Although my immediate results fell short of Shadow's excellent Droid performance, I do believe it is possible to tweak it up to a playable level on the iPhone. I plan to do some more tests once I find the time.
Goodie, get back to me. BTW As far as droid apps go I found LoGME In to be HORRIBLE performance wise. I netted about the same performance using that app.

Using PhoneMyPC thus far is not perfect but it is FAST (30-40fps at Full Quality over wifi, 10-25 over 3g).
My eventual goal is a decent 50-60 FPS, resolution and UI designed to be native to droids, displayed and resized for full touch operations.

Another thing to remember is some games respond better than others, EvE Online is FAR FAR faster for some reason than EQ is.

I would love to see some videos also if you ever get the chance.

EDIT: Any luck with clocking your Iphone4 to a true 1ghz? Its throttled down to save battery power but with the droid 1 we now have it running at 1.32GHz and while minor it DOES help smooth out frame rates and display speed for this kind of project. Even on my day-to-day standard overclock of 1.1 GHz I score 1390 on quadrant, putting me wellll ahead of the Droid x or even with the droid 2 and even higher then nexus one. A full 1.32 GHz overclock (when its stable) ramps upwards of 1900 on quadrant which makes it technically one of the fastest palm sized devices in the cell world, for the next upcomming year. Stability though? LOL....just dont try this at home unless you KNOW what your doing!
Last edited by ShadowWulf; 08-20-2010 at 04:22 PM..
Closed Thread