Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Aviak

Was this ever live during original classic/kunark/luclin?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know we're all here for the "classic" Everquest experience, but the developers have the benefit of learning from the game's initial mistakes and shortcomings. I think penalizing mages for using their most mana-efficient dmg ability is silly. Make us do at least 1 dmg so you know we (probably) aren't afk, and after that I don't see why something that is such a huge part of our class and solo ability would penalize us SO heavily.

Having started the EQ experience again here on Project 1999, I've realized there are parts of the game I really missed, and parts of the game that made it what it was even if we don't love them, and then there's things like this which are penalizing us just for the sake of penalizing us.
I don't think the developers are interested in improving on what EQ used to be, or making it better in any way. I think they want to re-create it exactly as it was for better or worse (or as close as possible within reason). They are not trying to learn from the game's old mistakes, because in part many of those "mistakes" are what gave this game the character that it had.

The mage exp nerf is annoying, especially for my lvl 44 mage who now has to completely revise his approach to leveling. It annoys me a lot when I am playing him. But, on the flipside, mages might be slightly more inclined to group now (I know I am) to avoid the penalty (thus adding to the pool of people grouping) or alternatively play a more group friendly class which also adds to the pool of people grouping. Imo, less people soloing and more grouping makes this server a funner place overall, so sometimes nerfs can have a silver lining.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

man i love spending 45 minutes and countless reagents summoning my pet over and over and over again until i get one that's max level
Last edited by Romantic; 07-06-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Old 09-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Sarnak

Pets never took that much xp on live. I am not sure where they got this info from.
It really does kill the mage class on this server for solo'n and mages are just about the beast soloing class there ever was so go figure.
The best advice I can tell anyone is use the earth pet since it does the least dmg and roots. Test your pets before you use them (this is important) figure out what your pets max dmg for it's level can be. For instance the 51 earth pet has a max hit of 58 and dd root of 55 I keep summoning until I get this pet because it's roots almost always stick and hold longer then weaker version. So I can nuke my target down without pulling it. Make sure you have c or c2 and go as fast as ya can.
Anyways I hope they fix this because its not correct.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Planar Protector

Professional Mages carry 250-400 malachite so you can reclaim pets with mage focus item and 1 shot nuke the mob for full xp. When you run out of loot room, destroy stacks of malachite as needed.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pets never took that much xp on live. I am not sure where they got this info from.
It really does kill the mage class on this server for solo'n and mages are just about the beast soloing class there ever was so go figure.
The best advice I can tell anyone is use the earth pet since it does the least dmg and roots. Test your pets before you use them (this is important) figure out what your pets max dmg for it's level can be. For instance the 51 earth pet has a max hit of 58 and dd root of 55 I keep summoning until I get this pet because it's roots almost always stick and hold longer then weaker version. So I can nuke my target down without pulling it. Make sure you have c or c2 and go as fast as ya can.
Anyways I hope they fix this because its not correct.
Yeah, they totally instituted this change for no reason whatsoever. The server staff just love changing things completely arbitrarily and claiming that's how it was in classic. If you're so sure it never existed, try doing some research on it. Look up classic-era patch notes.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Sarnak

Not saying pets didn't effect XP, it's just your pet didn't take all the XP per kill going solo. I don't need to look up patch notes to know I played from beta till now. It's like someone else said this was probably only done to force mages to group on p99.
Focused 54 + pets can take a mob to half life before I can get my 7second nuke off and because of that I don't get any xp? You really think live was ever like that...
Last edited by Vyal; 09-26-2012 at 11:10 AM..
Old 09-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Banned

no this was never in effect in classic or live, they only did it on here like a bunch of nubs. They want to take compass and other things out to remain classic however nerf classes as they see fit to mess with the balance of the game which is UNclassic.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Sarnak

Supposedly the reason was because of people that would go afk while their pet kills. However the old rule was 1 point of damage = 100% exp. Which obviously means you can't just kill while afk. So the solution is to simply make images take 3x as long to level. And make it impossible for young images with no money to level at all
Old 09-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not saying pets didn't effect XP, it's just your pet didn't take all the XP per kill going solo. I don't need to look up patch notes to know I played from beta till now. It's like someone else said this was probably only done to force mages to group on p99.
Focused 54 + pets can take a mob to half life before I can get my 7second nuke off and because of that I don't get any xp? You really think live was ever like that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writ3r [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
no this was never in effect in classic or live, they only did it on here like a bunch of nubs. They want to take compass and other things out to remain classic however nerf classes as they see fit to mess with the balance of the game which is UNclassic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cippofra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Supposedly the reason was because of people that would go afk while their pet kills. However the old rule was 1 point of damage = 100% exp. Which obviously means you can't just kill while afk. So the solution is to simply make images take 3x as long to level. And make it impossible for young images with no money to level at all
If you guys do some digging in the forums around when this nerf was implemented (something like a year ago), you'll see that the reason it was implemented is because it was in classic. I believe evidence was posted for it as well. I don't know why people are so quick to rewrite history and assume that the staff have a vendetta against them.

Furthermore, Cippofra, your post is completely ridiculous. Leveling takes at most twice as long for a mage, since pets take 50% exp if they do more than 50% damage. Secondly, young mages can still buy the stacks of malachite required to reclaim energy if they're smart about what they kill. You can sell bone chips to necromancers for 5-10pp a stack to fund your malachites, and high quality bear skins for 10-20pp each to tailors. Even if you don't do this, in the teen levels you end up getting enough money anyway just from killing stuff normally. Ignoring the reclaim energy trick altogether, a mage leveling at half the normal speed is still a mage leveling quickly compared to most other classes in the game. Or you can just find a group and bypass the issue entirely.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Closed Thread