Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 01:10 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I have gathered some samples the past week to illustrate. Bare in mind this is big-city dust, this isn't household dust. It contains everything that goes along with big-city contaminants, mostly rubber and silicone and brake pad material.

This is a building with 225 separate units. Within 25 feet in any direction, I have up to 6 units immediately above and below me in my vicinity with fully carpeted hallways throughout the building.

The bedrooms are fully carpeted with no plans to change that (noise reduction measure, but the rest of the units are hardwood and tile outside of that.)

Its simply not enough. And the hallways being carpeted to me, is a huge "GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE" red flag. The square footage of carpeting in the building probably amounts to up to 80-90 units as far as square footage goes. Its A LOT of carpeting, and its permanently installed (No carpet change in 5 years that I have seen)

Windowsil, probably the most blackest dust. The windowsill sits in front of the central circulator.

Dust accumulation rate, unknown. Assumed to be high but no data.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

A kitchen area countertop (top of microwave/fridge) buildup of dust in this area was noted to only take 5 days after a full wipe. (Not like the picture, but it will have NOTICABLE-TO-THE-EYE surface dust buildup after just 5-7 days)

Too much accumulation? Unhealthy?

Average object, all objects become covered with dust. Time frame unknown. Even high-use areas become covered in dust within a matter of weeks. Needless to say wiping off objects every week isn't exactly top priority for a young guy, I am not a housewife or a maid and I'm already not allocating enough time into the stuff I need to be doing.

I need air filter suggestions in the meantime as my health and allergies have been on the decline (busted red eyes every day, being harassed by police, asthma) which I never 3 years ago. Eczema and contact dermatitis, which I never had 3-4 years ago with no prior history of skin problems ever. Not even acne.

So I saw this one advertised on wired.com https://airmega.com/shop/

Its in the price range, but I just want to make sure I am getting the most bang for the buck. The review looked solid, but if anyone else has a filter they prefer or use (REGARDLESS OF COST) please provide some input here.

My nose is running as I type this. Help. Advise. Dictate.
You should use rug doctor or carpet cleaner / carpet steamer for this because it is so horrible to see such kind of dirt on the carpet. And yes it is kind of life threatening and can cause serious health problems.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begather [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You should use rug doctor or carpet cleaner / carpet steamer for this because it is so horrible to see such kind of dirt on the carpet. And yes it is kind of life threatening and can cause serious health problems.
Yeah I basically have a small bit of fluid in my lung/throat area (typical allergy area) for about 6-8 hours a day. Causes nonstop need to clear throat a bit every 20 mins or so.

I got these air filters but with the rate of collection and the viscosity of the dust itself, I'm wondering if this isn't a lost cause.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 10-14-2016, 06:47 AM
Fire Giant

Chemtrails obv

I read on infowars about this

You're basically sterile

GREEN: Ineluki - Human Shadow Knight of Inoruuk

lulz
Old 10-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Sarnak

Just came across this post. As somebody that also has bad reactions to this crap I feel for you.

Suggestions going forward are to do what you're doing, move the hell out. When checking out new places go for hardwood floors (even the fake wood, just know that bamboo is very loud).

Also find a place that has central forced air. Depending on where you live this may be difficult. If the apartment manager replaces the filters ask them if they'd be willing to get an electrostatic filter or if not go purchase your own. Get one from an actual allergy website and skip the big box store crap....this includes amazon.com. You can also get a disposable high MERV air filter. I use to buy MERV 13 filters that were wonderful but a 3 year supply was more expensive a single MERV 13 electrostatic.

Once you have the right air filters in your central air system try and run a fan for at least a few hours a day. A good system will give you the option to just turn the fan on without having the heater or ac going. Moving dirty air through a good air filter will help out a lot. No it won't be a magic miracle but every bit helps.

Look for a place that has a ceiling fan in some central location if your new place is over 1000 square feet. If not a ceiling fan then a good HEPA filter or two in the far reaches of your new place will serve the same purpose.

Chances are you've looked into the Pledge or other type of dust cloth things. If you do use them throw that crap out. The chemicals in those things make my entire family sound like 2 pack a day smokers. They also makes my son and I look like our skin is melting. Rather go get some microfiber rags and make your own. If you have a Costco membership you can get a huge package of these for cheap. Now make your own dusting solution that fits what scent you prefer. Mine is 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Depending on how dirty your city is you may simply need to dust once a week.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnauga [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Chemtrails obv

I read on infowars about this

You're basically sterile
They seed the air with disease and eggs of parasites.

Why do you think airplanes leave streaks in the sky.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just came across this post. As somebody that also has bad reactions to this crap I feel for you.

Suggestions going forward are to do what you're doing, move the hell out. When checking out new places go for hardwood floors (even the fake wood, just know that bamboo is very loud).

Also find a place that has central forced air. Depending on where you live this may be difficult. If the apartment manager replaces the filters ask them if they'd be willing to get an electrostatic filter or if not go purchase your own. Get one from an actual allergy website and skip the big box store crap....this includes amazon.com. You can also get a disposable high MERV air filter. I use to buy MERV 13 filters that were wonderful but a 3 year supply was more expensive a single MERV 13 electrostatic.

Once you have the right air filters in your central air system try and run a fan for at least a few hours a day. A good system will give you the option to just turn the fan on without having the heater or ac going. Moving dirty air through a good air filter will help out a lot. No it won't be a magic miracle but every bit helps.

Look for a place that has a ceiling fan in some central location if your new place is over 1000 square feet. If not a ceiling fan then a good HEPA filter or two in the far reaches of your new place will serve the same purpose.

Chances are you've looked into the Pledge or other type of dust cloth things. If you do use them throw that crap out. The chemicals in those things make my entire family sound like 2 pack a day smokers. They also makes my son and I look like our skin is melting. Rather go get some microfiber rags and make your own. If you have a Costco membership you can get a huge package of these for cheap. Now make your own dusting solution that fits what scent you prefer. Mine is 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, 1 teaspoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Depending on how dirty your city is you may simply need to dust once a week.
No time to highlight anything in this post atm by item, so just going to reply in general. But want to say it helped learn about different filters (more than just HEPA) and ways to optimize filtration (because I am guessing at this point I am going to have to live a life with absolutely no dust exposure no matter where I go now, the damage is done) I'd be too old not to use a setup like this regardless now.

About the dusting, yeah that's basically what happened (as well as an extremely high rate of dust collection per day) And not dusting for months on end = big problem. I'm working on getting contact seals for the door which seems critical to disallowing more dust inside.

I have clothing storage that I can't even move because its covered in dust and you can't really remove dust from clothing. I have no idea how to approach that besides get a really strong vacuum and start with that...obviously vacuuming the clothes isn't going to get all the dust off since its so insidious since its been allowed to collect and increase its own viscosity.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:10 PM
Planar Protector

Get new clothes! ^^
Old 10-14-2016, 04:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Get new clothes! ^^
If you saw how much I'd spent on clothes yearly for about 2-3 years (5 years ago now) you would hang yourself. I decided Im never getting new clothes for another few years.

At least I think I will be able to salvage my leather jacket. I figure the leather surface won't allow the dust to really sink and attach and its going to be the easiest piece of clothing to rescue from the "dust pile"

I call it the dust pile because its basically where all the dust has decided to collect.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you saw how much I'd spent on clothes yearly for about 2-3 years (5 years ago now) you would hang yourself. I decided Im never getting new clothes for another few years.

At least I think I will be able to salvage my leather jacket. I figure the leather surface won't allow the dust to really sink and attach and its going to be the easiest piece of clothing to rescue from the "dust pile"

I call it the dust pile because its basically where all the dust has decided to collect.
Sunk cost ^^ I wouldnt fret over it. Just means you have a lot of shopping to do. Silver lining to the dust cloud ^^
Old 10-14-2016, 04:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sunk cost ^^ I wouldnt fret over it. Just means you have a lot of shopping to do. Silver lining to the dust cloud ^^
Yeah for some reason I have been becoming a real (((shrewd))) person lately.

I thought it was a good thing, but its been becoming a real complex, and fret would definitely be the operative word-- at minimum.

My mother did test positive recently for the (((Chosen))) people (Kinda figured that with her grandfathers wife's maiden name being Mossberg, so it might just be in my nature.

Albeit an extremely low percent, talking like 2-5% was passed on. I can fight it.

Closed Thread