Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 04:26 PM
Planar Protector

Non twink only really lasts till 20 or so once you save enough PP to begin buying stuff from people in commons.

It isn't that hard for someone fresh on the server to begin gearing themselves by then.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Fire Giant

I have done this

but not on this server. Alkabor before it was shut down. Guild Vintage.

Hell of a lot of fun when you get a guild of 20 to 30 people to this style of play.

Money in that style of play is not really issue as west karana mobs /quests give you all you need for all your spells 1 to 50. Also can fund your trade skills from that zone too. The issue as many have pointed out is temptation. Just stay the hell away from the tunnel.

Unfortunately you could not a run guild like that here as there is way to much competition for all raid mobs even naggy and vox. In vintage we could not enter any content except original expansion until we killed naggy and vox.

I have tried doing this here in m meager hours of play on my shadow knight character, barley reached level 13 a week ago and still farming bandits so I can upgrade his leather armor to banded at some point. 6 back pack full of bandit sashes will generate around 140ish pp on average for me varies with what bronze weapon quest turn give me.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Nilbog:

" I'll keep making classic changes when I can, regardless if people threaten to quit. I'm here to recreate classic eq; not to make people happy."
Last edited by Buellen; 09-11-2016 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: ps need to upgrade my sig i see.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reguiy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you really want that nostalgic feel, level a melee alt. Necros really don't need gear to excel at leveling. When i leveled my monk to 60 it definitely got my nostalgic blood flowing :-p.
x2

As a caster, twinking hardly matters, especially necros and mages

If you want that nostalgia feeling at all, you have to do it on a melee which is actually gear dependent
Kill Mulder, we take the risk of turning one man's quest into a crusade.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:53 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You are never going to have that same feeling back. Sorry to tell you but 17 years of knowing the game and playing it makes that feeling unable to reproduce in its entirety.
this.

I played in 1999 - 2004 or so until WoW came out. Leveling from scratch on p99 when it released in 2009 was a lot of fun when everybody and everything on the server was brand new but it was still nothing like 1999 and it never will be no matter how difficult you make it on yourself. However you can still have more fun the more challenging it is so by all means level non-twinking if you want but you will probably burn out regardless. My first char on p99 was a necro and I made it to lvl 60 with him. I have 5 other alts and none of them have made it past lvl 40 without getting burnt out on playing them twinked or not.

Tbh the most fun you can possibly have on this server is when it was brand new. This is why I think the idea of the green server or the new server they were talking about sounds awesome. Its kind of like the same deal with diablo 2 and the reason they have ladder resets. After a while shit just gets stale and people lose interest. The only thing that brings anybody back is the fresh start on ladder resets and knowing everybody is back to square one and on an even playing field. Without the resets diablo 2 would be completely dead. With the resets at least there are some people playing for about the first 2 months after each reset. Fortunately this server is still very healthy population wise and it's not really a problem yet and there is still much fun to be had, not to mention so many people who come to play here who did not experience classic everquest. However, eventually it will become stale even if its not for several more years
Old 09-12-2016, 12:18 AM
Planar Protector

I got a wizard to lvl 49 untwinked, then i gave myself runes I collected including Astral and frost to train research and make ice comet

Ice comet would not have been possible at level 49 without given runes or tunnel quest
Old 09-12-2016, 12:42 AM
Sarnak

I leveled and played nearly exclusively on live as a paladin from 2000 to OoW, then left for EQ2. That was a lot of fun, but I wouldn't start another melee character here without it being twinked unfortunately.

My 2 knights here have full quest armor, good jewelry and very nice weapons and shields they could take to level 50 and beyond, easy. I just wanted to play them at ease, without the harsh grind and trials that had gone with those classes specifically, especially with the then hybrid penalty.

Leveling a caster(wizard, necro, mage, enchanter, druid), monk or shaman, even a bard are probably the easiest starting choices without being twinked, others not so much.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:05 AM
Fire Giant

i tried...but i just can't. jboots is too critical.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:02 PM
Fire Giant

Sure I have leveled non twink characters but I don't like to unless everyone else is. I feel that being a non twink in a group full of twinked out characters is pretty much just being a leech. You will have less hp, mana, stats, and dps then everyone else in the group.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Fire Giant

I haven't ever twinked any of my characters. You don't really need to if they're casters or priests (the benefits you get are very minor unless you are a shaman with a regen item), and I don't play melee dps. My shadowknight was my first character, so twinking him was out of the question anyway. And I was too poor to twink my warrior and paladin when I rolled them, and never bothered.

I imagine twinking, or its lack, is most keenly felt on a monk or rogue. Probably warriors too; I never was a big fan of mine.
Crallos Rek - 35 ogre shaman
Timothe - 31 human enchanter
Variol Cutthroat - 27 human paladin
Telehr - 23 human magician
Old 09-12-2016, 10:49 PM
Kobold

I recommend Ways of Yore as well. Some of the guild rules seem a little restrictive, but they are well intentioned, the idea is to experience Everquest anew, and some exceptions have already been made. Never seen anyone excited to get Alligator Tooth Earrings or a Screaming Mace, but here we are rediscovering quests that we skipped because we bought other things in EC.
Closed Thread