Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQNoob [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The first time I died on my mage was at 52. I hope you learn to play before giving advice about mages.
Keep your day job, which is doing nothing sitting at home. Trolling doesn't fit you, Mrs. EQNoob.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep your day job, which is doing nothing sitting at home. Trolling doesn't fit you, Mrs. EQNoob.
Not my fault that you're bad and can't keep track of pats and respawn timers.

Also says keep your day job while sitting at home, time of post: 12:01 on a weekday.

Join days March, 400 posts. Sit down kid.
Last edited by EQNoob; 07-10-2015 at 08:50 PM..
Old 07-11-2015, 06:53 AM
Sarnak

I'm not playing a Mage, and I'm not sure if I will or not at any point... But a question on chain summoning: isn't it a bit... Expensive, especially at low levels? How the heck would you negate that cost?
Old 07-11-2015, 12:42 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

My 20th Mage is my highest character and I started with nothing. I haven't had to chain summon yet, although I group a lot. But I will also say that spell component costs haven't been anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I've had no trouble keeping two or three stacks of gems for pet summons. Although I do skip buying some spells I won't use, like AEs.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:10 PM
Planar Protector

Fire most of the time soloing, and Earth pet at times. Air pet best for groups, and water at times.

Pretty much the story, unless you are doing Casters solo than use Air pet. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But risky as hell to do them with no CC. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not playing a Mage, and I'm not sure if I will or not at any point... But a question on chain summoning: isn't it a bit... Expensive, especially at low levels? How the heck would you negate that cost?
So, at higher levels it's much more worth it to chain summon. The reason is that healing your pet during a fight isn't very helpful at all and mana efficient (not saying it's ever mana efficient).

Example:

Level 54 ish mage in CoM. Soloing the second level is possible, but due to the NPCs dps, you need a tanking type pet to soak up the damage. Use either Air or Earth (preferably Earth) as the pet and DS/Burnout3 it.

Chain summon them.

The problem with Air is multiple mobs. If you happen to get 2 or 3 mobs, the survivability goes WAY down with an Air pet. However if you are lucky and get mobs solo, Air isn't too bad.

Please check out mitigation between Air/Earth and water (51, 53 and 54 pets). Water takes damage....and a lot of it. Air and Earth (Monk/Warrior pets) take less damage over all. However like any Monk, you get a couple mobs and you'll see a difference on how much damage is taken.

Finished with example...

Lower levels it's better to just summon either a fire pet or Water/Air/Earth and DS it. 49 and below pets are all the same with small differences (damage output/Health), but 51+ pets; the mechanics change quite a bit.
Last edited by dafier; 07-13-2015 at 11:02 AM..
Old 07-13-2015, 11:14 AM
Planar Protector

The monk analogy is a poor one. The reason air suffers on multiples isn't because monks do worse on multiples, it's because air pet keeps up by stunning the mob - and it can't do that to more than 1 at a time.

For PCs, if a monk takes the same damage as a warrior on a single target, he or she will take the same damage on multiples.

Unless p99 is dramatically different than live ever was, the actual avoidance on pets by archetype is very similar. Mitigation is different but the lions share comes from the large difference in hp.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 07-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The monk analogy is a poor one. The reason air suffers on multiples isn't because monks do worse on multiples, it's because air pet keeps up by stunning the mob - and it can't do that to more than 1 at a time.

For PCs, if a monk takes the same damage as a warrior on a single target, he or she will take the same damage on multiples.

Unless p99 is dramatically different than live ever was, the actual avoidance on pets by archetype is very similar. Mitigation is different but the lions share comes from the large difference in hp.
Agreed, to a point.

The stun doesn't always work (50% if it lands, and even if it does some mobs take the damage but don't actually get stunned).

Personally I've noticed a difference between a Earth, Air and Water pets mitigation. Earth sometimes takes more of a beating because of lack of stun or root mob which causes a mob to attack the pet until it is either not rooted anymore or until it dies.

Air, seems to tank awesome. Just like the Earth, but what I've noticed is, if 2 mobs are in front of the pet (Earth or Air), Air seems to take on more damage. Yes, I understand the difference in HP is about 500 or 800 (referring to 51 earth and 53 Air), but it appears that way to me.

Again, "The monk analogy is a poor one." <--- this quote you made, I completely agree with. The others I just wanted to touch on.

The reason I am posting in this thread so much is to inform people of how Mage pets work. There is so much bad information out there.

Thanks again for all your positive feedback. And to those who just want to flame, please take it to RnF where that crap should be. Cheers!
Old 07-18-2015, 07:27 AM
Aviak

Good info, but the thread title is best pet at 29.

The answer is simply fire.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo24 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good info, but the thread title is best pet at 29.

The answer is simply fire.
Yes solo. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Waste of time in a group. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread