Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled_heretic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll tell you what grinds my gears - language snobs who don't understand that colloqualisms and dialects that deviate from standard English are not incorrect.

If a word or phrase successfully and accurately conveys a meaning between two parties, then language has served its purpose and nothing is being misused.
lol brew, u cnt b srs?

But yeah, i am a language snob.

I enchant things...
Old 06-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnimorph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lol brew, u cnt b srs?

But yeah, i am a language snob.
Just remember that the job of language academia is to be the curator of language. If a nonstandard use of language becomes standard (note that there is no such thing as a "wrong" use of language) the job of the academic is to catalog that change, not to attempt to revert it. Indeed, almost every single attempt of an academic to try to artificially change language has been met with abject failure.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Planar Protector

taxi you are the best
Old 06-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled_heretic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just remember that the job of language academia is to be the curator of language. If a nonstandard use of language becomes standard (note that there is no such thing as a "wrong" use of language) the job of the academic is to catalog that change, not to attempt to revert it. Indeed, almost every single attempt of an academic to try to artificially change language has been met with abject failure.
I should have said this at school when a teacher would attack my work with a red pen! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I enchant things...
Old 06-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Fire Giant

"could care less"
Old 06-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnimorph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I should have said this at school when a teacher would attack my work with a red pen! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Primary school teachers are mostly little failed Napoleans who didn't make the cut for something bigger. They take out their frustration and angst on their students by making them follow antiquated and outdated rules that nobody really follows in real life (including most famous writers). Students are then indoctrinated and the cycle continues.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akame [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Faggot.

Seriously? Are you phobic or something or do you degrade others needlessly to make your dick feel bigger? This one came up recently in conversation and I've decided I loathe it completely.
^ This. And using "gay" to describe something you don't like. There are so many better, more descriptive, less offensive ways to express your distaste. Why do people need to hate on others so much?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Primary school teachers are mostly little failed Napoleans who didn't make the cut for something bigger. They take out their frustration and angst on their students by making them follow antiquated and outdated rules that nobody really follows in real life (including most famous writers). Students are then indoctrinated and the cycle continues.
Lol i made a bad call and owned up to it as soon as i realized it. It doesnt change that conoisseur is used to all sauces in the wrong contexts just to appear highly literate. Its a snobby term often when its used, and i was fooled by the utter snobbyness of the people using it, i should have looked further thats for sure.

Another example: There was these commentators on a sports channel talking about skateboarding in a competition saying stuff like "great pirouettes!". Theres many people who know the skateboard moves and what they are called, why not hire these people instead of these old conservatives.

Another term: Anti-american. A term to paint someone that is critical of the US governement policies, or any conservative/right-wing beleif as if they hate everything american.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alifeyl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^ This. And using "gay" to describe something you don't like. There are so many better, more descriptive, less offensive ways to express your distaste. Why do people need to hate on others so much?
Thats another word i loathe, using homosexuals as a synonym for something lame.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thats another word i loathe, using homosexuals as a synonym for something lame.
Maybe we should say something like "That's so breeder" Kinda funny ne c'est pas?
Closed Thread