Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I dont think ive ever even posted but please explain how a warrior sucks, all you do is auto attack and press taunt every few seconds, seems pretty simple. It is obviously a mechanics problem and not a skill problem due to the lack of complexity of the exp group warrior tank. I would be interested what aspect of warrior agro is related to skill though.
That's a good example. Taunt doesn't work on mobs over level 50. And, when it does actually work, you don't press it every few seconds. Taunt adds +1 hate on top of whoever is already on the top of the list. You use it when a mob switches targets to snap them back. It's less about skill and more about knowledge. Knowing how the mechanics work and using them to your advantage, and then equipping yourself accordingly, even if it means less DPS. A warrior who sucks is a warrior who doesn't understand that.

Back to the 2H thing... I would hope that means that the bonus applied to low delay weapons will be re-applied back when epics are released. It sounds like something that wasn't supposed to be implemented yet, so they yanked it.

"Life's short and hard like a body building elf."
Old 06-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Orc

It is amazing how nobody can stay on topic on these boards...

An actual interesting talk on 2hndrs turns into pissing about gimp class mechanics....really?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Back to the 2H thing... I would hope that means that the bonus applied to low delay weapons will be re-applied back when epics are released. It sounds like something that wasn't supposed to be implemented yet, so they yanked it.
I don't think I follow. Right now, for any weapon regardless of delay, we should have a set damage bonus based on user level. That is why low delay 2-handed weapons have an advantage over high delay 2-handers.

The change that should be implemented about 5 months after Kunark will be:
delay < 28: bonus reduced
28 <= delay <= 39: bonus stays the same
delay > 40: bonus is increased
Old 06-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Sarnak

Regardless of when you press it or not, warriors have two things that make them, obtain additional threat. Weapon procs, and in your example pressing taunt when threat is loss. I don't understand how the argument that being more knowledgeable about the snap mechanic makes you a better tank in an exp group. Aside from mob placement (read: available for melee to strike), and taunting prior to breaking met i see very little dynamic content available to the warrior class. Perhaps, and i don't know you so im not suggesting this is the case, you are under simplifying warriors to validate yourself as a warrior.

I don't know you, and don't think i have ever grouped with you. I would very much be interested in hearing beyond the knowledge of the snap agro of a tank, what differentiates a good tanks threat and a bad tanks threat in an exp group situation that CAN be controlled by the warrior (i.e. not random proccing of ykesha or similar threat inducing weapon effects). I ask this because your proposal suggests that the warrior class is acceptable in threat generation and that the problem is player skill. I have heard anecdotal evidence from warriors with 2 x Ringed Mace of the Ykesha, and other top agro producing weapons (read: BBoDE) that they are encountering problems when grouping with T-staff equipped monks and rogues above the 55th level.

In short, it seems like you attribute to some extent the warrior agro problem to skill while i would contend at this point its purely a mechanical issue in part because a warrior in an exp party setting is one of the least dynamic classes in kunark on this server. There is no decision tree play style. You simply pick an npc , auto-attack, hope for weapon procs, and if snap agro is needed press taunt (although ill continue to press taunt every time its up just in case).
Old 06-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
T-staff equipped rogues above the 55th level.
not so much a backstab, as much as literal rape with this class/item combo.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extunarian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think I follow. Right now, for any weapon regardless of delay, we should have a set damage bonus based on user level. That is why low delay 2-handed weapons have an advantage over high delay 2-handers.

The change that should be implemented about 5 months after Kunark will be:
delay < 28: bonus reduced
28 <= delay <= 39: bonus stays the same
delay > 40: bonus is increased
Well so did they nerf 2H slash bonus here recently or not?

"Life's short and hard like a body building elf."
Old 06-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well so did they nerf 2H slash bonus here recently or not?
Yes. Bonuses are lower than they used to be.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Banned

Unless i'm mistaken, warrior aggro here should be the same as it was on live at this period, meaning it's based on swings + taunt + procs. A fast weapon with a proc would be ideal, though admittedly that relies heavily on the proc modifier and the aggro generated by the proc itself.

Haven't tried 2-handers pre or post patch, but Jorg is right. At some point on live the devs kicked in the >40 delay significant increase in dmg bonus. Helped hybrid classes quite a bit and warriors who went the DPS route, but unless the proc was incredible warriors would strictly stick to two one-handers
Old 06-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Sarnak

I am aware people are going to be mad about this, but this is a correct implementation.

Onto the warrior debate; It's always been the groups job to not steal aggro just as much as it's the warriors, him being limited. This is not the same for a higher level paladin and any level shadowknight for obvious reasons, but they bring a 40% penalty (atleast) into the group. I've loved duos&trios with a warrior (cleric and warrior, shaman and warrior, plus dps) the key being I've kept them under the critical range the entire time, beating mobs senseless with insane crippling blows. Much better exp for me then duo'ing with a SK or Pal.

And if you're mad about grouping with a level 20 warrior with no gear at all, I understand. And my suggestion is don't do it. :/
Old 06-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And if you're mad about grouping with a level 20 warrior with no gear at all, I understand. And my suggestion is don't do it. :/
i think the thing that irritates most people about this "level 20 warrior" (example) is that he likely had enough platinum to double up on Obsidian Shards, but opted instead for some random shiny gear to make himself feel like a REAL warrior.

even as a warrior, if by your mid 20s you haven't picked up Obsidians (and i can guarantee you have the plat for it we're talking less than 500), you're not doing YOUR job at that point.
Closed Thread