Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

View Poll Results: Is grouping worth it?
Only if you suck 9 45.00%
It's really good if you're boxing 2 10.00%
they hate us for our freedom 5 25.00%
other (posted in comment) 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2024, 02:34 AM
Planar Protector

It may not be worth it for faster leveling or loot gain sometimes, but grouping is the essence of the game. It's what creates the memories that matter most. Frieren: Beyond Journey's End has been an inspiring pro-grouping piece of media that everyone should watch.

Although, LOL, I wish there was some kind of way for a game to accurately rate how good of a group member someone is, and have that score by viewable by everyone else. Then people could sort themselves into more appropriate groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderpress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, presumably nilbog, after making many many changes based on evidence, arbitrarily decided not to make this one.... why? I'm not claiming all the values are perfect and correct, but
I don't get why you're talking. Charm, Lull, and Channeling are all proven to be coded very incorrectly on p99 compared to Classic EQ. Why it hasn't been fixed yet is irrelevant. It's wrong.
Old 08-26-2024, 10:09 AM
Planar Protector

need reds group bonus imo

i prefer duos and trios over solo, just because its fun / chill to hang with peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Old 08-27-2024, 12:16 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have a very simple metric, for any emulator. If I'm judging (say) a Street Fighter 2 emulator, I don't watch a million dragon punches, and try to calculate whether they do the same damage as in the original.

Instead, I just watch people playing Ryu, and see if they use dragon punch. If the play the emulator a lot and stop using dragon punch, I know something is wrong with the emulator, because in the original game people who played Ryu a lot did use dragon punch.

Similarly here I'm not saying "Enchanters need to die 20% more" or anything. I'm just saying "people playing Ryu in our emulator aren't dragon punching" ... ie. "Enchanters in our emulator aren't grouping" ... and that is undeniably unclassic. I can find you a mountain of posts about Enchanters grouping in a million classic sources.
Weebs pick Ryu.
Old 08-27-2024, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrateTurk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Weebs pick Ryu.
LOL I was a Blanka player myself (which I'm sure was a terrible choice). I picked Ryu's dragon punch as a common frame of reference.

And just like a Street Fighter II emulator where no one dragon punches, a classic EverQuest emulator where grouping is unpopular can't be an accurate emulator:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
grouping is the essence of the game
Now look, some stuff is environmental and outside Nilbog's control. We're all older now for instance, and adults (wanting shorter sessions) are more likely to solo. We all have internet connections that last, so we can solo without fear of dying from link death. And so on.

But there are also environmental factors that are in Nilbog's control, both classic code fixes and "unclassic" things like the 25 mob AoE limit (which made this place feel so much more classic). As cider noted, he has done an amazing job with this emulator. In almost all respects, despite whatever has changed in past 25 years, it still feels almost exactly like EQ did in '99-'01.

Zura, myself, and others, are just pointing out some key things that still aren't classic ... because Nilbog has converted us all into classic-ists! I swear, I didn't give a fig about classic when I came here years ago, but Nilbog sold me on it.

Now that he has, we're just trying to "sell" his own vision back to him, and advocate for making P99 even more classic. Imagine how great it would be if you could have Green, but just with a few tweaks that made it fun to group again!

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 08-27-2024, 01:35 PM
Large Bat

I will go as far as to say that Ryu was maybe the first weeb filter. Think about it. Initially identical characters Ken and Ryu, and there were two so that people could pick the most popular character as there was no technology for mirror matches.

People who picked Ryu were basically the protoweebs
Old 08-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrateTurk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Initially identical characters Ken and Ryu, and there were two so that people could pick the most popular character as there was no technology for mirror matches.
Down R up L y b

Unlocked mirror matches (on snes, atleast). Blue Guile (pronounced like French Will), blue Blanca (“Bianca”), pink Chun Li (don’t remember our nick name for this one).

Oh and Ken differed to Ryu in that his judo roll included more rotations. Cos he is showy. LORE.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-27-2024, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

Wait maybe the blqnka was yellow with that code? Can’t remember.

Old 08-27-2024, 02:13 PM
Planar Protector

It's been ages, but I remember Blanka's alternate color being blue.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue or Green servers, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of platinum and/or gear! Send me a forum message for details.
Old 08-27-2024, 02:17 PM
Large Bat

I was talking about the arcades. By the time it was on the Snes, Championship Edition was in the arcades.
Old 08-27-2024, 02:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's been ages, but I remember Blanka's alternate color being blue.
Maybe. The WW alt palettes were sometimes different to CE/Turbo/NCs IIRC

I like how the bright colour palettes and various backgrounds kinda shared vibes with vanilla eq art.