Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 03:40 PM
Banned

I first heard about EQ in 1999, but I had already started playing Asheron's Call and never looked back.

16 years later...December of 2015 - my buddies have been playing on P99 for a year now and finally convince me to give it a try.

3 months later, I'm a level 56 enchanter and totally hooked.

fuck. my. life.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Fire Giant

My friends in college (we were all super into gaming) tried to get me to play during classic. I leveled my wizard to 7 and quit due to repeated deaths at the hands of asps. Six months later I had moved halfway across the country, but missed my buddies. Kunark had come out not long before. Bought the expansion, logged in, got sucked into the wizard, leveled hard to catch my buddies, and was playing all through to the end of Velious.

Ironically, some of those same friends are the people who introduced me to p99, over a decade later.
Crallos Rek - 35 ogre shaman
Timothe - 31 human enchanter
Variol Cutthroat - 27 human paladin
Telehr - 23 human magician
Last edited by thufir; 03-07-2016 at 03:57 PM..
Old 03-07-2016, 03:45 PM
Sarnak

I was 16. My brother bought the game, played for a few hours, and hated it. Next time he was at the house, he dropped me the install disc and his account info.

I didn't have the manual or any understanding of the game. I loaded up in Gfay and ran around for a long time before I figured out I was supposed to be killing things.

Killed things for awhile, but using my fists really sucked, so I asked another player where they got a sword. That's when I learned that inventory was something I should have checked right off the bat.

Got up a few levels and decided it was time to explore. Made a long and arduous journey to Freeport. When I arrived at the city gates, I was all like "I'm a traveler from a distant land across the ocean!" and people were like yah.. whateva.

Played my warrior until level 24ish... solo, because I didn't know any better. It really sucked, but I was gifted a suit of bronze and I had a surname... so I was a total bad ass. However, a GM deleted my surname.. so I retired the warrior.

Started a cleric. Found that I loved healing people, but didn't see the point of buffing... so I just didn't buy any buff spells past level 5 or whatever. Played him to level 39 without buffing any of my groupmates. When they'd ask, I'd just be like nope.. sorry... I'm a healer, not a buffer.

And that's how it began.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Aviak

I was 15 and my mom's boyfriend at the time worked with a guy who was into EQ. So the BF bought us all an account to try it out, we all loved it, so that turned into 3 accounts. I had to share an account with my brother for years....
Old 03-07-2016, 04:13 PM
Planar Protector

It was March 1999. I was 22 just out of college and picked up a Sunday paper mainly to read the ads, specifically the Best Buy ad. Everquest caught my attention as it was brand new, came with a cloth map which was I thought was cool, I liked rpgs with big worlds. So I went to the store and found the EQ box on the shelf, looked at all the pictures, box art and read the stuff written. I don't remember being super excited. I was looking for something new to play and I thought what the hell I will give this a shot. At that point in time, I had been playing a lot of Red Alert and Civilization 2. I remember being a little pissed about having to pay to play, but I had already wasted my money, might as well waste a little more. Then I played no other game for the next 2+ years until DAOC came out.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:19 PM
Orc

I was a two dimensional cartoon guy walking on Temple Street in a place called the WorldsAway dreamscape. Someone mentioned this new game being beta tested. Occasionally another cartoon being would mention that he or she (or it) had heard of this game and planned to try it. However, it was very rare to speak to someone that had actually been there. It was like an episode of the Twilight Zone... one day a guy would be telling others what "Everquest" was like and the next day their friends would be asking "what ever happened to...?" They were never heard from again.

Actually, now that I think about it, once I got enough information to find and join the beta, I never went back either.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Kobold

In 1999, one of my friends was talking about this game where "it takes a week to gain one level". For some reason that sounded awesome.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Sarnak

One of my friends (still plays on p99 red and blue to this day) introduced it to me at school, I was in grade 6 so I would've been 12 at the time? I came in just before luclin dropped.

I had previously had no interaction with D&D or any type of Role playing game prior to EQ, but it was amazing and I have been chasing that feeling ever since (/em crosses fingers for Pantheon: Ride of the fallen)

My mate actually introduced me to p99 as well :P
Old 03-07-2016, 06:53 PM
Banned

Played quake. Couple people I played quake with also were playing Eq on the tallon zek server. Rolled on there and quit halfway through velious with one of top geared warriors on tallon zek.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:32 PM
Skeleton

My roommate in college played EQ from launch, went out and bought it after watching him play.

To this day, I sleep better with the EQ rain and thunder sounds playing.
Closed Thread