Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:04 PM
Kobold

15 sham on blue, 60 ranger on live, played sk/monk/pally as well. But I r literate so I can always read a guide for the fundamentals/theory of any class. Only classes I have absolutely zero interest in is wizard and warrior.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:25 PM
Kobold

Melee is supremely gear dependent. Like, twinks will have better gear than you for weeks/ months. It's a huge time investment and liably selling out to have a semi-competitive one on r99.

They're great later on but you'd have to play the long game with them and you'd pretty much always have to party. You can't just go camp your own gear or solo effectively.

People keep recommending things like Druid and necro (enchanter is ok too I guess but I find them clunky and slow for solo) because you can solo well with them. I.e. You'd enjoy the journey to endgame more. You also wouldn't automatically die to twinks.

Pretty much comes down to whether you wanna enjoy the ride more or you want to join empire for phat loot and have no idea what to do with it since you have very little idea how to actually pvp in EQ (which is its own beast, no matter what others may say. You WILL die to ignorance, a lot, having no idea what the proper response is in most scenarios). The mistake lots of bluebies make is to plan for endgame pvp instead of what's fun to play along the way, so IMO don't stress what's good as a geared 60 and focus more on what sounds fun (necro in dungeons like lguk, Dru for ports/dots/heals/escape/quadding/etc, enchanter for charming, etc.

Oh, and Enchanter on pvp is HORRIBLE to level solo tho IMO. Pretty much the worst thing that can happen to you in EQ pvp is getting jumped while you have something charmed. Personally I'd scratch enchanter off the list if you want to solo a lot since they can't travel worth a damn and their primary method of xp'ing is a PKers wet dream.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:35 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh, and Enchanter on pvp is HORRIBLE to level solo tho IMO. Pretty much the worst thing that can happen to you in EQ pvp is getting jumped while you have something charmed. Personally I'd scratch enchanter off the list if you want to solo a lot since they can't travel worth a damn and their primary method of xp'ing is a PKers wet dream.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad to know that, based on this response, I'm in the right mindset at least as a lot of what you said is stuff I've tried to take into consideration.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:47 PM
Kobold

You'll do fine if you're comfortable with that kinda stuff.

There's just a steep learning curve with movement, plugging, pumice, buff stacking orders, zone-dancing, constant /who and how to deal with that information, knowing what resist thresholds matter and what to cast and not cast on opponents, etc.

It can all be learned but it's definitely something you want taught to you after you get your feet wet. EQ pvp is less about raw stats and knowing when to cast what and from where, and why you should do a particular action. Takes a while to train yourself to instinctively react correctly.

Just try not to get discouraged because you're a sheep sitting down to play poker against clever wolves who learned all this stuff decades ago.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:38 AM
Banned

Roll a chanter, you'll always find groups. That makes a great class cause if for some reason you can't find a group, you can always charm solo. I only have one class on this server since I started a couple months ago, and its a chanter. I'm having a great time. I played a warrior on live back in 2001 so its a big change, but I like it.

As far as griefers go, yea they'll be there, but if you can get in with a good group of people and practice pvp tactics, it becomes fun, even when you die. Just convert the cash you need to carry into peridots, and you wont have a problem losing anything if you're pk'd.

And yes, join Thunderdome, we'll welcome you with open arms. Lots of great people in the guild, all willing to help.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:42 AM
Banned

Don't listen to that guy about Enchanters. The only thing is that enchanters aren't quite viable in PVP until 44+. That being said, you'll fly through the levels if you get in with some good groups. Tash + Incap + slow + charmed mob beating on someone can have great results unless they're some uber twinked resist gear toon.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:02 AM
Sarnak

If you're going to play druid, play a halfling. They have the best racial abilities so no reason not to. For enchanter, play dark elf for racial hide, which isn't very useful but is good sometimes. Or play gnome to be small, which is a bigger deal than you might think, even for an enchanter.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy_lee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're going to play druid, play a halfling. They have the best racial abilities so no reason not to. For enchanter, play dark elf for racial hide, which isn't very useful but is good sometimes. Or play gnome to be small, which is a bigger deal than you might think, even for an enchanter.
Either dark elf or high elf. I chose agnostic high elf and got a Goblin Gazugi Ring cause thats an easy ass camp..and if you want to be a gnome, you have the illusion.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:37 AM
Banned

enchanters are great sub 50, they can actually kill people then since most don't have much MR gear, have clickies, or carry cure poison potions

they peak at 59/60 though when rapture makes them the best gank squad class in the game
Old 02-15-2016, 03:05 AM
Kobold

Is that what r99 is these days? You all just party together and kill mobs together like a big ol band of merry faggots?

It's depressing how quickly you all jump in and talk about grouping. So glad I don't play on this shitty box.

Grouping takes all the challenge and risk out of EQ, doubly so on a pvp server. Lameasses.
Closed Thread