Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

Attachment 19128
Last edited by Rogean; 04-17-2024 at 05:01 PM..
Old 10-10-2022, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Who would go out to watch an all-EV drag race once that becomes standard.. will they even have those, I mean.. why right?
Drag is almost moot, NHRA already put a bullet through its own head when it went to nancy 1000 foot distances and anti-blow-over protection bars. Likewise NASCAR is doing a great job of killing itself without electrics needing to do anything at all.

Drag did survive the introduction of nitromethane, then jet turbines. Power source, alone, shouldn't kill it.
Old 10-10-2022, 02:59 PM
Banned

I would like to see a spreadsheet of what everyone who talks here drives, assuming they drive at all

Anyone who drives a Tesla should have their right to vote taken away
Old 10-10-2022, 03:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stick shifts are relics. It's like the really old column stick shifts. Remember those? They don't exist anymore because floor-mounted sticks were better. Now it's automatics.

I don't even care anymore. I used to but I switched to luxury cars. I want my comfort now that I'm older lol.
Yes, I remember column shifts. In fact, in some cases a column is better than a floor shift (see modern flappy paddles, its close by where the column shifts were once).

Enjoy your luxury, old coot. Let us young guys have our fun and interest.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:00 PM
Banned

My favorite race car

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-10-2022, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would like to see a spreadsheet of what everyone who talks here drives, assuming they drive at all

Anyone who drives a Tesla should have their right to vote taken away
Old 10-10-2022, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Drag did survive the introduction of nitromethane, then jet turbines. Power source, alone, shouldn't kill it.
You are missing the spectacle. EV make no sound, smell and are mostly purchased by rich guys. They also come on the backs of environmental causes so drag events would probably be seen as wasteful.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:02 PM
Banned

I drive a 2016 Nissan Rogue, it's not my favorite car ever but it works and it's paid and Nissan paid for the CVT when it crapped out

Haven't had to even try to drive a stick since I was sixteen, at one point I knew how in my dad's Volkswagen Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Corolla is a solid vehicle. The Z-95 Headhunter of the modern era. Now I am not confident it's a Corolla anymore
Last edited by Basanos; 10-10-2022 at 03:04 PM..
Old 10-10-2022, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Corolla is a solid vehicle. The Z-95 Headhunter of the modern era. Now I am not confident it's a Corolla anymore
It's not a Corolla, but it is made by Toyota.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, I remember column shifts. In fact, in some cases a column is better than a floor shift (see modern flappy paddles, its close by where the column shifts were once).

Enjoy your luxury, old coot. Let us young guys have our fun and interest.
He doesn't even have luxury. The interior of today's $100K Mercedes looks like it could've been ripped out of a mid 90's Honda Accord. It's a race to the bottom, the lowest common denominator of globalization. Today's youth driving their globalized econo-boxes don't know what they're missing and they're convinced that what they have doesn't suck because they don't know any better.

Straight across seat, nice soft ride, your honey can slide across and snuggle up as you cruise along, that's a better life. Modern cars are pretty much only good at rust resistance and suck at absolutely everything else a street car is supposed to do. Now with electrics it's more or less a quiet war on middle america. Hydrogen is a better path if gasoline absolutely has to go. Anything with a battery will always suck.

As for stick shifts, I don't oppose their existence, just don't like 'em myself after fighting with stupid truck transmissions a few times too many.

Quote:
I drive a 2016 Nissan Rogue, it's not my favorite car ever but it works and it's paid and Nissan paid for the CVT when it crapped out
I have a Dodge van and a Coupe de Ville sunday driver fun ride. Both of 'em got damaged on the same day a few weeks ago. The van is repaired and back, the Caddy's a complete loss and won't be easily replaced. Too bad, modern cars seem designed by people who want people to hate cars, they're all miserable. Prior to the van I've always driven Cadillacs and Buicks. The wife has had a smattering of Mercury or Lincoln in there.

After experiencing the misery of a late-model Nissan loaner (they called it an Altima, I call it a rolling torture box), I am dead serious when I say I would rather drive an '81 K-car than a modern car. I couldn't sit in that Nissan 15 minutes without getting a sore back.
Last edited by Danth; 10-10-2022 at 03:28 PM..
Closed Thread