Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:56 AM
Planar Protector

^^ i was under the impression that the GMs would ban you if they caught you 2-boxing back in the day
Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmakos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^^ i was under the impression that the GMs would ban you if they caught you 2-boxing back in the day
well it wasn't 2-boxing the way you understand it now =)
it was having 2 paid accounts, and probably 1 person out of 10,000 did it.
Considering the game cost $60 + $10 subscription back in 99, you would have to put in twice that amount. A normal person would not even come to such thought. I remember people complaining that there should be no monthly fee at all since we already paid for the game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Their number may grown over the years thought. I knew ton of people who leveled buff clerics, or port druids as back up alts, but as I said I only knew 1 guy in total who actually had 2 paid accounts just for himself.

there was nothing illegal about it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Kika Maslyaka; 10-23-2012 at 01:40 AM..
Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i definitely understand the difference between then and now =p

i still recall running into a two boxer and them telling me "if i get caught i'll get banned" =p
Old 10-23-2012, 04:09 AM
Aviak

http://youtu.be/LK8sxngSWaU
Old 10-23-2012, 05:03 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
it was having 2 paid accounts, and probably 1 person out of 10,000 did it.
Considering the game cost $60 + $10 subscription back in 99, you would have to put in twice that amount. A normal person would not even come to such thought. I remember people complaining that there should be no monthly fee at all since we already paid for the game [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Their number may grown over the years thought. I knew ton of people who leveled buff clerics, or port druids as back up alts, but as I said I only knew 1 guy in total who actually had 2 paid accounts just for himself.

there was nothing illegal about it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe Tarew Marr was unique - a lot of the raiding population multi-boxed, if only to have a buffbot, portbot or backup rezbot onsite if needed. 1 in 10,000 is grossly inaccurate - at any given time, it was at least a couple hundred people per the 2000-3000 accounts logged in. I was one of them - as soon as Naggy's 52 level restriction went in, I made a monk and sure as shit got myself a CoF.

It probably seems like a stretch to the demographic that plays an emulated server in today's economy, but a lot of people had a lot of cash to burn on gaming a decade ago. $10k to buy multiple gaming systems, multiple EQ keys, multiple subscriptions for those accounts and a high-speed DS connection to run it all - not a problem.

VI, 989, SOE - nobody gave a shit about multiboxing, considering it was a paid account. You'd get into some shit if you were connected to an eBay account, but as long as you kept it within the virtual economy - not a problem.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Kobold

Unemployment wasn't around 10% when EQ was young... People had a lot more disposable income, so the cost of the game was not as large a justification as you believe.

I also remember quite a few people that boxed early. Just some perspective: I'm not rich, and by LDoN I was 6 boxing my own accounts... I know others on Xegony that did the same thing. EQ was cheaper than most other forms of paid entertainment. One night at the bar cost me more than a month of 6 EQ subscriptions...
Old 10-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galelor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unemployment wasn't around 10% when EQ was young... People had a lot more disposable income, so the cost of the game was not as large a justification as you believe.

I also remember quite a few people that boxed early. Just some perspective: I'm not rich, and by LDoN I was 6 boxing my own accounts... I know others on Xegony that did the same thing. EQ was cheaper than most other forms of paid entertainment. One night at the bar cost me more than a month of 6 EQ subscriptions...
not sure what to say other than may god have mercy on your soul
Old 10-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galelor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Well said, well said
Old 11-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

hi ya please bring 2boxin back. why anyone would ever play a melee is beyond me. There is literally no incentive to play anything but a necro or mage, get a bunch of gear and then twink a melee.

2 boxing does not hurt the population, it only helps grow it. (larger #s on server entice people to play again etc )
cut the shit and give us 2box. Hell I was 6 boxing when emulator first got big, and my bro was 3 boxing. 2box just lets people actually be able to play by themselfs if they want.
why has it taken so long for the retarded dev team to realize this?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

lolol ban me idc i dont play your crap server anyways bra
Closed Thread