Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 01-23-2024, 10:45 AM
Planar Protector

So yeah Ogre is not the min/max choice.

Choosing Ogre is a conscious choice. You chose bash stun immunity over continuous regeneration. There is value there, to be sure, but there was also substantial loss involved. Can you function without the regen? Of course. You have and many others have. Many others have done great without either benefit. The shaman class is that strong.

But make no mistake, the actual Min/max for a class that trades hp for mana between the options available is racial regen.

So yeah the min/max will be either troll or iksar. Since trolls get fatty large race stats and can use that JBB you’re so in love with … troll seems to be the winner.

My troll shaman can snare mobs.

Can yours?

Assuming both shamans are standing for a full hour it costs the ogre 800 mana, 32 seconds of torpor time and all that time canning the extra mana back and casting another torpor to compensate for the regen given up. While face tanking mobs, you are passively recovering less hp and your survivability is lower.

All for the tradeoff of avoiding the rare chance a bash might stun you for 1-2 seconds.

Over the weekend on my last solo session I face tanked nearly 30 dark blue mobs on my Ranger. During those fights I got bashed a lot. None of those bashes triggered a stun. It happens, but it is not common.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 01-23-2024 at 10:49 AM..
Old 01-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I WOULD NOT trade racial regen for FSI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I did [give my fungi to an alt once I got Torpor]. And I didn’t even have a Vindi BP to replace it with.
Troxx would gladly lose 15 HP regen to gain the random chance to reduce damage spikes. But Troxx would never lose 8 HP regen to gain the random chance to reduce damage spikes.

Troxx can write all the paragraphs he wants, but he can't keep these two positions simultaneously.

FSI is the Min/Max option, as it gives you the random chance to reduce damage spikes, which is more important than some passive regeneration once you have Torpor.

Troxx understands this, as he gave away his Fungi even before he had Vindi BP. He simply cannot admit he is wrong, and therefore is twisting himself into knots to avoid it.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-23-2024 at 11:20 AM..
Old 01-23-2024, 11:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Troxx would gladly lose 15 HP regen to gain the random chance to reduce damage spikes. But Troxx would never lose 8 HP regen to gain the random chance to reduce damage
Troxx gladly gave his fungi to his monk twink alt. He had a thurg bp in his bad for free clicky stamina so just decided to use that instead. Troxx did not throw his fungi in the garbage for a crappy (and undeniably worse) quest bp.

Again: FSI doesn’t reduce damage intake. I spelled out precisely what it does and does not do.

Do you even read?

Old 01-23-2024, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Troxx gladly gave his fungi to his monk twink alt. He had a thurg bp in his bad for free clicky stamina so just decided to use that instead. Troxx did not throw his fungi in the garbage for a crappy (and undeniably worse) quest bp.

Again: FSI doesn’t reduce damage intake. I spelled out precisely what it does and does not do.

Do you even read?
I do read. You lost 15 HP Regen on your Shaman willingly because you didn't need it. Thurg BP has better defensive stats over Fungi.

FSI does reduce the damage you take because not getting interrupted while casting slow saves you hundreds of HP worth of damage from an unslowed mob. Much more than passive regen in the same time.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
FSI does reduce the damage you take because not getting interrupted while casting slow saves you hundreds of HP worth of damage from an unslowed mob. Much more than passive regen in the same time.
Funny how I’ve never experienced this. I’ve solo’d plenty of cliff golems, WW dragons and the like. I’ve small manned VP guardian wurms and had plenty of resisted slows. I have not experienced situations where I’m getting bash stunned and breaking my “flow” as it were.

Perhaps the biggest flaw in your reasoning is that you’ve never played a high level shaman that doesn’t have FSI? Perhaps you go “aha I am teh bestest race” every time you see a bash thinking you were gonna be stunned? When realistically you weren’t going to be stunned at all by those bashes? Remember that FSI does not make you immune to being interrupted- it only stops that chance of an actual stun.

Stuns happen, but most bashes do not stun. When they do stun, it’s pretty damn brief

If every landed bash always resulted in a stun (it doesn’t) the case for FSI vs regen might actually be worth having.

The stars and planets have to align for it to have a meaningful impact. However often that is … I’ve never once (not once) experienced it on my xp capped shaman.

Old 01-23-2024, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Funny how I’ve never experienced this. I’ve solo’d plenty of cliff golems, WW dragons and the like. I’ve small manned VP guardian wurms and had plenty of resisted slows. I have not experienced situations where I’m getting bash stunned and breaking my “flow” as it were.

Perhaps the biggest flaw in your reasoning is that you’ve never played a high level shaman that doesn’t have FSI? Perhaps you go “aha I am teh bestest race” every time you see a bash thinking you were gonna be stunned? When realistically you weren’t going to be stunned at all by those bashes? Remember that FSI does not make you immune to being interrupted- it only stops that chance of an actual stun.

Stuns happen, but most bashes do not stun. When they do stun, it’s pretty damn brief

If every landed bash always resulted in a stun (it doesn’t) the case for FSI vs regen might actually be worth having.

The stars and planets have to align for it to have a meaningful impact. However often that is … I’ve never once (not once) experienced it on my xp capped shaman.
No. I simply understand basic logic, math, and player patterns.

There is no evidence that exists as far as I know to show exactly how often Vindi BP reduces damage spikes over Fungi Tunic. Yet you agree Vindi BP can be considered BiS, and you agree many Shamans (including yourself) stop using Fungi Tunic at 60.

This is because Torpor Shamans want to reduce damage spikes more than they want small boosts to passive regeneration. That is why FSI becomes the Min/Max option once you have Torpor. Shamans pick Vindi BP to reduce damage spikes over 13 HP regen. Shamans pick FSI to reduce damage spikes over 8 HP regen.

You claim that you haven't ever experienced a stun interrupting your slow, therefore you assume it doesn't happen. All of my characters other than my Shaman are non-Ogre. I have experienced STUNS from bashes interrupting important spells plenty of times.

I understand FSI does not make you immune to interrupts. However, stuns are a guaranteed interrupt. Avoiding a guaranteed interrupt means you still have a chance to land the spell.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-23-2024 at 12:22 PM..
Old 01-23-2024, 12:03 PM
Planar Protector

wanna know what isnt a small % chance to happen?

regen anytime below 100% hp

bigly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist View Post
With enough Clerics any class can survive AoW.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:04 PM
Planar Protector

The iksar shaman quests are probably my favorite quests in the game.
Old 01-23-2024, 12:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
wanna know what isnt a small % chance to happen?

regen anytime below 100% hp

bigly.
Consistency != Superiority. It is still trivial to math out how much HP you get per hour on a standing Troll/Iksar level 60 Shaman assuming you are never at 100% HP. 4800 HP per hour is 3-4 Torpors per hour, which is saving you 1.5-2 minutes of recovery at best on a class that can recover faster than just about any other class. Realistically the time saved on recovery is lower, as a Torpor Shaman is at 100% HP/Mana out of combat. There is no other way to slice it. Talking about consistency doesn't really matter.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-23-2024 at 12:10 PM..
Old 01-23-2024, 12:10 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But … but … muh napkin maff