Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 AM
Large Rat

If the devs would want to disable this, all they would need to disable is logging of the /loc output. No need to disable all logging.

Just saying.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:40 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristantio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Look in the console that opened with the browser, if it says something like "NIL is not a STRING value" it means your EQ path could not be found automatically.

Still getting the same error.

What I have below.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The path is to the PP99 folder not a live folder. I probably have the command wrote out wrong.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:04 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboboo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Still getting the same error.

What I have below.

The path is to the PP99 folder not a live folder. I probably have the command wrote out wrong.
Include the trailing slash, so it would be C:/Something/Somethin/ (not C:/Something/Something )
Old 05-07-2014, 01:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion_Standing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This man is clearly a connoisseur of immersion. What is your immersion threshold for wanting to play? The average player must be at least 50% as immersed as you? Maybe 40-45% is more realistic.
LOL.

Um, but truly, immersion is something that HAS to come game-side. If everyone isn't playing by the same rules in a multi-player game, then it will never work for an individual. You can try to not twink, you can try to do dungeon crawls and outdoor hunts instead of static camps, you can try to not use GPS, but if other people aren't doing the same then it inherently ruins your own attempts when you group with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonkec [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The obvious solution is to remove /loc on red!
That would be awesome.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:21 AM
Fire Giant

I think this is not a good idea for p1999, the point is to have no maps... for anyone. And i dont want to hear, Well hey hows me being able to see everything going to kill your fun just dont use the maps. But it actually does kill everyone elses fun because now you can go around places and see everything and have an unfair advantage. If this wasnt an MMO and we all played single player games and just talked about it together id say do whatever you want.
just my thoughts on it.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:26 AM
Fire Giant

Still not working, it's cool though I'll probably just wait till it's cleaned up more if you intend to do that.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:15 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSorcerer7 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think this is not a good idea for p1999, the point is to have no maps... for anyone. And i dont want to hear, Well hey hows me being able to see everything going to kill your fun just dont use the maps. But it actually does kill everyone elses fun because now you can go around places and see everything and have an unfair advantage. If this wasnt an MMO and we all played single player games and just talked about it together id say do whatever you want.
just my thoughts on it.
Well I think it's a good idea. Maps aren't classic, sure, but what does it hurt to have have them? Nothing. Nothings stopping a person from playing in windowed and/or with multiple displays. You know what else wasnt classic? Having a GPU with 4 separate digital video outputs that could be used in perfect tandem-- windows didn't accommodate such things until fairly recently. So while you sit here on the forums whining about people not using maps, the entire POPULATION is using third party maps via the wiki. This just takes a little bit of the guesswork out of it, if you're unfamiliar with loc (which I am, Ive been playing the game since velious and I've never mastered it)

I fail to see how you rightfully can claim this can ruin other peoples fun. Because people can somewhat confidentaly explore the corner of a zone, and have a visual representation your game is being ruined? I feel like you probably have some serious developmental issues if this is a real thing for you.

I can't possibly fathom how many people back the idea of "some other guy having a real time map ruins my immersion. Must simply be an organized trolling. Kudos.

Not everyone plays the game for immersion, in fact I'd argue most people are simply addicted ot the genre (yes, p2p games are formatted in such a way to keep players hooked, thus paying monthly) and are just romanticizing their inability to face the fact that 15 years has passed and they're no longer the youthful virile "explorer" they once were.

Just my take on all these 25-40 year old men whining about immersion, anyway!
Last edited by Xer0; 05-07-2014 at 02:21 AM..
Old 05-07-2014, 02:24 AM
Fire Giant

Other than not wanting to bother with GTK overlay, immersion also played into the decision when I decided to draw the map in browser (where the user is already tabbing to to read map information from EQAtlas).

The play flow without the app was previously:
  • Do a /loc in game while auto-running the general direction
  • Check position on map in browser (note the destination coods)
  • Adjust X/Y and keep running until there

All this really does is combine into one action (two if you manually /loc).

The overlay map Mirox is working on steps into the bounds of what I considered risky from an add/app point of view (sure, it isn't rendering in the EQ client exe itself, or through the EQ UI elements, but it may as well be).

Synchronized friend locations was just a fun idea to expand since it is trivial to implement with the base setup (as soon as I decide to spend an hour or two on it).
Old 05-07-2014, 03:01 AM
Fire Giant

I pray the gm's find a way to take this out.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well I think it's a good idea. Maps aren't classic, sure, but what does it hurt to have have them? Nothing. This just takes a little bit of the guesswork out of it, if you're unfamiliar with loc (which I am, Ive been playing the game since velious and I've never mastered it)
LOL, how can you possibly say this changes nothing when you just admitted you don't even know how to use the /loc coordinates very well?

That is exactly why this is a huge change. It takes some actual thinking and time to look at a map and then go in the direction of what you think is correct. If you remove that, you're removing the little bit of uncertainty that is even left in this game, along with the threat of being aggroed by something while you are trying to figure out which way to go.

This is especially important because you can become disoriented in the game when a threat appears, either because of being stunned by a monster and spinning or because you were tabbed out while regening and can't remember exactly which direction was the correct escape route. If you immediately know where to go by just clicking a button, it drastically cuts down on the danger factor of the game...which is a large reason why the classic EQ experience was so memorable to begin with. It was actually scary and dangerous and made you fight for your life, in the same way it would happen to a character in a good fantasy novel!